Sponsored

Compelling choice for apartment dwellers!

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been jumping back and forth between this forum and the Cybertruck's and Lightning's forum trying to get my fix for this truck. A lot of EV users or even PHEV drivers think the Maverick should have been a plug in hybrid at least. That it is years too late and that it is a backwards move by Ford.

I personally have reserved the Cybertruck and the Lightning (eventually cancelling it) thinking I'd skip the whole hybrid scene. But I rent. Hoping to be able to buy a home in a year or two. And that's where the Maverick comes in! A lot of people still don't have access to a charging station and even if they did, it's usually crowded. The price to fully charge an electric vehicle keeps going up as well. It is always ideal to trickle charge at home versus at a station.

The Maverick rivals the Cybertruck's tri motor range which is priced at 70k (80k with self driving) and beating the Lightning's range by a wide margin.

I know the future is going to be all EV eventually. But I can't imagine that happening within 10 years. The infrastructure is not quite there yet for everyone to convert to EV. If some how it does get here, I could only imagine the price to charge will rival if not exceed gas prices.

I'm happy how I spec my base XL. It will handle basic truck duties while having great mpg. The Cybertruck can do the heavy lifting (off roading, max towing, payload capacity) when it gets release and I get my hands on it maybe 10 years from now. Hopefully it'll be more refined by then.
Sponsored

Karmic

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Don't have a garage. No charging where I work in the city. (Thieves keep ripping them apart for twenty cents worth of copper.) Hybrid is the only way to go for me. In many years, when filling stations have moved to quick charge, or there is some new infrastructure, electric for sure. But it doesn't work for me currently. And I think at this price point, Hybrid makes a LOT of sense.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You bring up a very good point. The cities I live in typically are way ahead on charging infrastructure so there often is plentiful (and often free) charging when they are not down, but I only just now live in an apartment with chargers. I’m moving in a couple of months and won’t have that again until we buy a house, so that is always what has held me back from picking up an EV. I want to slow/trickle charge and can’t do that without being able to hook it up to my house.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
The cyber truck is vaporware as far as I’m concerned and EV’s in general need to mature more before they are ready for the mainstream vehicle market. If you want to be an early adopter and pay huge premiums for minuscule ranges and barely existing charging infrastructure I say more power too you. Personally I’ll settle for a hybrid that is priced like a normal vehicle and gets double the fuel economy of my current truck. Perhaps in another ten years EV’s will have reached a point where I don’t have to shell out $70k to get the same driving range as a 1995 Toyota Tercel. As for the folks that think that Ford messed up by not making this a plug in hybrid, they couldn’t be more wrong. Making this a plug in would have skyrocketed the price of a vehicle that needed to come into the market as cheap as possible in order to buy itself market share and establish the product category as a viable market segment. Once it’s established Ford can start going up market with more premium models like plug in hybrids or possibly even a full EV version.

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
One of the videos I saw with the Ford chief engineer of the Maverick sort of hinted that a version of the Maverick will be all electric in the near future. I think that they wanted to get it out there for everybody, both electric/engine and engine before they have an all electric version.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think as an EV, the Maverick will have a hard time competing. Unless it can retain its mpg and still priced reasonably, which I highly doubt. We are willing to compromise the things that the Maverick are lacking because of its price tag and its mpg range. You take those two things out of the equation then the Maverick won't be so appealing anymore.

Just like what could potentially cripple the Lightning, as a truck advertised as an all around utility vehicle, the range should be considerably up in 300-500 range to be functional with payload and towing. We know to achieve that, means more battery packs, doubling the motor, ..etc. Essentially more money.

The only way I would consider a full electric Maverick is that if it can be under 30k and have a range no less than 300 mile range.

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
I think as an EV, the Maverick will have a hard time competing. Unless it can retain its mpg and still priced reasonably, which I highly doubt. We are willing to compromise the things that the Maverick are lacking because of its price tag and its mpg range. You take those two things out of the equation then the Maverick won't be so appealing anymore.

Just like what could potentially cripple the Lightning, as a truck advertised as an all around utility vehicle, the range should be considerably up in 300-500 range to be functional with payload and towing. We know to achieve that, means more battery packs, doubling the motor, ..etc. Essentially more money.

The only way I would consider a full electric Maverick is that if it can be under 30k and have a range no less than 300 mile range.
Personally I won’t even consider an EV until they can give me 400 miles per charge in the middle of a Michigan winter.

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Personally I won’t even consider an EV until they can give me 400 miles per charge in the middle of a Michigan winter.
I won't consider an EV until I can travel 200 miles in any direction and find a readily available charging station. I don't want to go back to a time where planning a road trip needed to be based on where the gas stations were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JsnMrd

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't forget battery degradation and charging time at the charging station.

Tesla throttles the speed of charging outsie 15% to 80% capacity. Not to mention some charging stations will charge you parking rates as well.

Ford doesn't even have a designated charging stations. They have contracted a solar company that has ev charging stations.

So add that to your travel time.
Sponsored