jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Posting this survey, because based on Ford’s videos and photos, Ford marketing portrays the Maverick as a truck for young women (and a few men) living in dense cities (more than likely renting apartments) with hipster hobbies.

I feel the majority of buyers live in suburbs, are men, and are older than the marketing team would like.

I am also doing this survey, because I notice most owner photos are guys with neighborhood homes in the background.

I live in an apartment, as houses are too expensive now. Maybe I don’t fit the demographic for a Maverick.

(For those living in a house in mid-town or whatever: I should have made it “House in Neighborhood” instead of “suburb”, but cannot update it now.

My only reason for having two house options is to differentiate between neighborhood houses and rural houses on acreage rather than lots.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I think you're probably right about it mostly being suburban older men however I saw a stat that there were a large number of female buyers.

> Ford said a quarter of the Maverick’s buyers are women compared with 84% being male for the full-size pickups, according to J.D. Power. The company reports more than a quarter of buyers also are between 18 and 35 years old – double the industry average for that age group. The average age of a new vehicle buyer is 48, according to J.D. Power.

I don't recall where that is from, I grabbed that from a forum this time.

I think its one of those weird vehicles that kinda has no significant downsides for its price point. I mean the reason I bought one is that its a waste to buy a less efficient crossover that has no bed unless you're trying to get a luxury interior. If you look around at the price point it is basically competing with only the tiniest crossovers. So it really comes down to what you're looking for, practical/efficient? can't really beat it. But if you want like luxury or sporty obviously you're spending at least 10k more.

EDIT: The other big category right now because you can only get an EB are people that want trucks without the hassle of a truck. Mostly that's gonna be older guys.

Last edited:

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Posting this survey, because based on Ford’s videos and photos, Ford marketing portrays the Maverick as a truck for young women (and a few men) living in dense cities (more than likely renting apartments) with hipster hobbies.

I feel the majority of buyers live in suburbs, are men, and are older than the marketing team would like.
How would you prefer that we respond to this if we live in a condo in the suburbs? I'm trying to figure out what each of the 3 choices is actually describing.

So, does an apartment mean urban highrise? Does a house imply there's a garage?

OP
OP
jtpc2021

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How would you prefer that we respond to this if we live in a condo in the suburbs? I'm trying to figure out what each of the 3 choices is actually describing.

I would say a condo would lean towards an apartment if 1-2 bedroom, no garage.

If your condo is more like a townhouse, I’d vote a house.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jtpc2021

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are houses in urban cities, too.
I suppose, but when I say urban, I am thinking downtown, high-rise akin to the marketing. If a house is in the city, but not downtown, I’d just vote suburb.

OP
OP
jtpc2021

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Added Condo to the options

OP
OP
jtpc2021

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, does an apartment mean urban highrise?
No, an apartment means an apartment, whether 1 story or 100 stories.

The apartment can be in a city or rural area.

I live in an apartment complex in the suburbs.

OP
OP
jtpc2021

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And for those too cool to vote house in the suburbs because your pad is in mid-town or something, please just vote house in suburbs, as it is the closest option.

I should have made it “House in Neighborhood”, but cannot update it now.

My only reason for having two house options is to differentiate between neighborhood houses and rural houses on acreage rather than lots.

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in a townhouse in the central downtown area of a large city with a small garage that my male partner and I both park our cars in. We attend progressive lifestyle concerts and festivals, volunteer at urban center charity organizations and like to hike. :p

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Who Ford would like to have buy this truck demographically vs who actually can, and will, buy the Maverick are likely two different demographics.

Urban dwellers living in densely populated areas have historically relied on public transportation and mass transit to get around. This is because heavy commercial traffic, tight & sparse parking, along with the cost of parking make driving less attractive. I don't see the Ford Maverick changing this scenario in a meaningful way, personally.

Conversely, those living on the edge of civilization are often farmers, land management/preserve/forestry and other rural folk who traditionally have opted for larger, more capable vehicles, especially where true 4X4 capability is not only appreciated, but quite often a necessity. In my opinion, most of those folks will continue with F150/Siverado/Ram as their primary workhorse and to a lesser extent, Colorado/Canyon/Ranger. (As a side note, I think it's mostly safe to say these rural, blue-collar folks tend to buy "American" (whatever that means to each person) so I'm not including Tundra/Tacoma or Titan/Frontier and certainly not Ridgeline.)

That leaves "Suburan America" somewhere in the middle, which according to the poll seems consistent with where sales of Maverick actually fall. These are folks who don't necessarily need/want full size trucks and parking/extreme traffic is less of a concern when it comes to moving about. They appreciate/value extra utility because their lifestyle has space for such utility. They are not as price conscious as one might think, which explains the relatively low take rate on entry trims. But, these buyers appreciate and quite frankly, expect choices and that is where Maverick shines compared to say, Ridgeline.

My .02

Good thread! 👍

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in a townhouse in the central downtown area of a large city with a small garage that my male partner and I both park our cars in. We attend progressive lifestyle concerts and festivals, volunteer at urban center charity organizations and like to hike. :p
If you're under 35 you've nailed the target demo!

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are houses in urban cities, too.
Haha yeah, I live in house within a ~6000 person/mi area, 3 miles from the center of downtown of a top 20 largest cities.

Interesting info on Urban vs Suburban vs Rural. The takeaway is that "suburban" is incredibly nebulous and open to interpretation

80.7% of Americans live in urban areas, though this includes suburbs
Ford Maverick Habitat Demographic Survey - Apartment vs House Screenshot_20211201-092829_Chrome

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haha yeah, I live in house within a ~6000 person/mi area, 3 miles from the center of downtown of a top 20 largest cities.

Interesting info on Urban vs Suburban vs Rural. The takeaway is that "suburban" is incredibly nebulous and open to interpretation

80.7% of Americans live in urban areas, though this includes suburbs
Screenshot_20211201-092829_Chrome.jpg
Yeah. I lived on a tiny lot in the Midway for 12 years (pretty much dead center of two urban cores). Now, I'm just 2 miles north, and my lot is a half acre. Technically, I'm walking distance from the "city," but it's definitely burbs.
Sponsored