Sponsored

COBB TUning Accessport for 2.0L Maverick!!!

subiefiles

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Mav Lariat (+lots of Subarus)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@COBB Tuning just got my AP for my '23 Maverick lariat.
2 questions:

1. was there any consideration made for '23 Mav models with the tow package which has a different gear ratio? According to this thread its a minor change from 3.63 to 3.81. (Mine has the tow package) https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...age-option-affect-fuel-efficiency-on-awd.253/ - Wasn't sure if that really mattered

2. how do the drive modes (normal, eco, etc) play into the tune? if i want the car to be the sportiest, do i still have to put it in sport mode after flashing one of the maps? or are the drive modes irrelevant after flashing? Or, for example on the Map Notes page (https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wi...ck+Maverick+Tremor+Bronco+Sport+2.0L+EcoBoost) it lists the boost limits, are those new settings with the Cobb map? or are those just the factory settings mentioned there for reference?
Sponsored

Automan21

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Subaru WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2 questions:

1. was there any consideration made for '23 Mav models with the tow package which has a different gear ratio? According to this thread its a minor change from 3.63 to 3.81. (Mine has the tow package) https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...age-option-affect-fuel-efficiency-on-awd.253/ - Wasn't sure if that really mattered

2. how do the drive modes (normal, eco, etc) play into the tune? if i want the car to be the sportiest, do i still have to put it in sport mode after flashing one of the maps? or are the drive modes irrelevant after flashing? Or, for example on the Map Notes page (https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wi...ck+Maverick+Tremor+Bronco+Sport+2.0L+EcoBoost) it lists the boost limits, are those new settings with the Cobb map? or are those just the factory settings mentioned there for reference?
Well just did my 2023 XLT with the tow package. Didn’t drive it fully enough to notice the tune. Just down the street to the gas station and around the block and back.
The settings they show are for after the tunes.
Now as far as the tow package I’m not sure. I’ll email the rep that was handling my tune download(swapped my subie AP firmware for the Fords)

COBB Tuning

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2 questions:

Congrats on the Accessport!

1. No special changes were made for the tow package equipped vehicles in our OTS maps. Transmission shift schedule tables (which dictate the conditions when upshifts and downshifts are commanded) all work based on output shaft speed of the transmission, prior to the differential. So changes in final drive don't have an impact on the throttle positions and engine speeds where gear changes occur.

2. Drive modes all function as they would stock. That said, drive modes really don't change much - just throttle sensitivity for engine controls and shift schedules/torque converter clutch lockup schedules for transmission controls. Whether stock or tuned, the engine will command the same torque, boost, fueling, and ignition timing in Sport, Normal, or Snow/Wet drive modes. Other drive mode functions that affect traction control/stability control/ABS are unchanged.

The boost limits listed in the map notes page show what sort of approximate boost pressure you can expect to see when tuned. I say approximate because depending on ambient air temperature, charge air temperature, barometric pressure, inferred octane, gear, etc., actual boost pressure can vary significantly. All Ford EcoBoost ECUs are torque based, meaning your throttle input is translated into a target torque output. Torque request is translated into a target air mass, and based on ambient air temperature and charge air temperature, that target air mass is translated into a target pressure. As you can expect comparing the density of cold air vs. warm air, the amount of boost pressure required to hit a given air mass and torque target in warm air will be higher than in cold air. In practice, considering a variety of other limiters that will decrease torque, air mass, or pressure, you can expect to see around a 3-4psi swing in peak boost pressure, from 19.5 to 22psi roughly. Note this is peak boost pressure which occurs in the mid range. Up top, boost will taper down to between 14.5 to 17psi to keep turbo shaft speed in check.

subiefiles

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Mav Lariat (+lots of Subarus)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The boost limits listed in the map notes page show what sort of approximate boost pressure you can expect to see when tuned. I say approximate because depending on ambient air temperature, charge air temperature, barometric pressure, inferred octane, gear, etc., actual boost pressure can vary significantly. All Ford EcoBoost ECUs are torque based, meaning your throttle input is translated into a target torque output. Torque request is translated into a target air mass, and based on ambient air temperature and charge air temperature, that target air mass is translated into a target pressure. As you can expect comparing the density of cold air vs. warm air, the amount of boost pressure required to hit a given air mass and torque target in warm air will be higher than in cold air. In practice, considering a variety of other limiters that will decrease torque, air mass, or pressure, you can expect to see around a 3-4psi swing in peak boost pressure, from 19.5 to 22psi roughly. Note this is peak boost pressure which occurs in the mid range. Up top, boost will taper down to between 14.5 to 17psi to keep turbo shaft speed in check.
Thanks for the detail on how the Ford ECUs operate. I'm more familiar with Subarus so that is different in a lot of ways.

Whether stock or tuned, the engine will command the same torque, boost, fueling, and ignition timing in Sport, Normal, or Snow/Wet drive modes. Other drive mode functions that affect traction control/stability control/ABS are unchanged.
It sounds like you're saying the Cobb tune doesn't change target torque, boost, fueling, or ignition timing? Or are you just saying the Cobb tune does change those values, but switching drive modes doesnt change those targets, it just changes throttle response and shift timing on the way to those targets?

Sponsored

COBB Tuning

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the detail on how the Ford ECUs operate. I'm more familiar with Subarus so that is different in a lot of ways.

It sounds like you're saying the Cobb tune doesn't change target torque, boost, fueling, or ignition timing? Or are you just saying the Cobb tune does change those values, but switching drive modes doesnt change those targets, it just changes throttle response and shift timing on the way to those targets?
Sorry, confusing phrasing. The latter is correct - we are changing target torque, boost, fueling, and ignition timing compared to stock. Those changes are in-use in all drive modes. But throttle response and shift schedules in most drive modes are unchanged. Our COBB Sport and COBB OEM+ transmission calibrations that are part of the OTS maps pre-loaded on the Accessport do change shift schedules and converter clutch schedules in Normal and Sport drive modes though.

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for my 2024 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When are you adding 2024 XLT FX4 support?
Sorry, confusing phrasing. The latter is correct - we are changing target torque, boost, fueling, and ignition timing compared to stock. Those changes are in-use in all drive modes. But throttle response and shift schedules in most drive modes are unchanged. Our COBB Sport and COBB OEM+ transmission calibrations that are part of the OTS maps pre-loaded on the Accessport do change shift schedules and converter clutch schedules in Normal and Sport drive modes though.

COBB Tuning

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Working on it now! We should have support ready within a couple of weeks but will have to hold it while we wait for an update to our CARB EO coverage.

Marshall@COBB

Libertyb78

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Still waiting for the 24 maverick update from cobb, but luckily I still have almost a month til I take delivery. (Just got my accessport today)

Reactions: JJM

Superg0

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for my 2024 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lol, I have a pile of parts and no Mav. Haven't pulled the trigger on a tuner yet. Still debating tuner choice.

Sponsored

mavkid

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
if I buy the AP and the stainlessworks downpipe, will they work together for a semi custom tune on my 23 tremor ?

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

if I buy the AP and the stainlessworks downpipe, will they work together for a semi custom tune on my 23 tremor ?
Yes, but you'll want to buy the AP from a tuner who actively makes custom maps. Some include a custom map with the accessport, others charge for it.

They will have you datalog, send them the files, make changes, log again, and so on. If a tuner already has a map with the same mods and fuel you are using they will get to the end faster but not necessarily better than someone starting from the off the shelf map.
Sponsored