FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really like the Steelies because they remind me of the rally wheels on 69 z-28 Camaros and late 60s and 70s Corvettes. On the 69 Camaro when folks could find the right tire size for a low profile wider tread, that looked great. I like that the bright silver, looks clean unlike the mid greys and the black wheels. A HUGE and I mean HUGE benefit to the steelies is that they are so easy to wash without the need to spend extra time with a special brush to clean the nooks and crannies of a fancy aluminum wheel. Plus, no worries of damage to the finish with wheel cleaner like with aluminum and anytime they look bad $10 can of paint and they will look brand new again. They only real negative is that so many seem to think they are ugly so if you care what others think I guess steelies are bad but I like them.
Round is the only true prerequisite for a truck tire IMO.
I also wonder if an innocuous looking XL, which I want, might deter the random vandal or car thief.
Respect and like all the clever variations in any case.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Transit Prius Honda Yamaha Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey Drew. When you painted your wheels did you cover up the brakes? I don't feel like taking my tires off to do it. If you did cover them up how?

Yup, I did forget to do it for the 1st coat, but then used plastic shopping bags after that. I read somewhere in this forum about the shopping bags. Just push them through the holes, then spread them out by reaching around the tire &/or by tugging them around with your fingers through the holes. That being said I don’t know if getting some paint on them would do any serious harm to the disk or pads. Probably just scrape off when you hit the brakes for the 1st time. The brake caliper might look odd with overspray on it though.

Some people wedge playing cards between the tire & rim instead of masking tape too. I just masked it with tape. Next time I’ll give that a try, seems like it might be easier.

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I learned to love my steelies today after my first car wash. They are so easy to clean without any nooks and crannies. One wipe for the outer ring, one wipe for the middle ring and one wipe for the inner portion. Done in about 30 seconds per wheel

OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would paint them completely black, or not at all.
Those early ones were experiments. The final product is all black with a texture ring around the vent holes in an attempt to make them look more rugged:

Ford Maverick Edit: Steelies Can Actually Look Good! 0DCF6979-B7E2-46E9-818C-A45E8F1E1550
Ford Maverick Edit: Steelies Can Actually Look Good! 281475FC-5EF9-4854-BE5F-0DCBBBB2DA73

Sponsored

Austun316

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xl
Yup, I did forget to do it for the 1st coat, but then used plastic shopping bags after that. I read somewhere in this forum about the shopping bags. Just push them through the holes, then spread them out by reaching around the tire &/or by tugging them around with your fingers through the holes. That being said I don’t know if getting some paint on them would do any serious harm to the disk or pads. Probably just scrape off when you hit the brakes for the 1st time. The brake caliper might look odd with overspray on it though.

Some people wedge playing cards between the tire & rim instead of masking tape too. I just masked it with tape. Next time I’ll give that a try, seems like it might be easier.
Thanks Drew.

What paint did you use? I might just use plastidip so if I screw up I can just peel it off.

OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks Drew.

What paint did you use? I might just use plastidip so if I screw up I can just peel it off.
I used Sherwin Williams ATX refinish paint for the gloss & Dominator (Raptor equivalent) bedliner for the texture ring since I sprayed my truck bed with it at the same time.

https://industrial.sherwin-williams.../vehicle-refinish/color-systems.10656481.html

U. S. Chemical & Plastics Dominator Black Urethane Truck Bed Liner Kit (USC-2000-2)
https://a.co/d/8LIAnRG

Sponsored

davidalexispr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT AWD FX4 4KTow
Edit… thanks for all the comments! This is the final product. Sherwin Williams Automotive ATX paint color matched to Ford Shadow Black, with texture ring around wheel vent holes of Dominator/Raptor Black Urethane 2-part Bedliner:

EEAEAB62-F75E-46F2-AA4C-5FBA606EDA21.jpeg
CDF227FC-4384-46A9-967C-F6B7D53B8C3F.jpeg

I’m looking to improve the look of my steelies… if at all possible! Here’s what I’ve tried so far. More to come…

D3E8F908-9219-46AA-8669-75BF61F511C5.jpeg
C8FFC8AA-31C0-427B-9C69-7122A02B569A.jpeg
E64CCCCA-9EA3-452F-B3A3-681C397C041B.jpeg
CDE321D1-4DA6-4793-A495-EA193F20AD6A.jpeg
No doubt that steelies can look good with the proper tire on it. Throw some KO2s and those steelies will look solid!

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would mask off and paint the 3 hole sets in black (Just the area between them) times 5. Then you will have the look similar to the Chevy Rally wheels. pinstripe contrasting color around if you'd Like. See crude job below (no photoshop, and didn't want to spend an hour to show the idea) for the general idea.

Ford Maverick Edit: Steelies Can Actually Look Good! s-l500

Last edited:

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Steelies look the best stock and clean. That's just the truth for most people.

The amount of time + money spent on improving the look of a steelie could be spent on an aftermarket rim like an Alphaequipt Foxtrot.
they look nice but are a $1000 for a set…

Ford Maverick Edit: Steelies Can Actually Look Good! 1EBA3D04-C57B-4065-B53E-B3105FEFB1DB

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
hate to throw cool water on this topic, but, you got a truck with capacity to haul just under half its weight and tow more than half it weight.
Most of the rims shown likely would not be trusted to support those added weights. Think about it, do you really think the skinny 5 spoke wheels are up to the challenge of 3 ton combined weight???
Sponsored