notliketopgun

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none, Maverick is first car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay, possibly crazy idea. And probably uncomfortable as all hell, assuming you're over 5'6. I'm sure other folks have thought of it but the diagonal length of the bed, back to opposite front corner is approximately 72". I need to come up with plans, and some digital mockups but you could build a triangular sleeping platform in the back and if you're not tall, hopefully fit and sleep without putting the tailgate down. The shape would probably be akin to a baseball diamond, and you could have the storage drawers run perpendicular to the bed on one side, with additional cubbies or drawers underneath but they'd be much shorter and have to have a diagonal entrance. And of course, this is predicated upon the existence of a hardtop being available, or ideally one taller than the Ford OEM one that's available. I managed to take a LiDAR scan of my bed, but I don't have access to any CAD packages since Autodesk changed the licensing for Fusion 360.
Ford Maverick Camper build ideas for a Maverick with a top 1649389645501

So y'all are going to have to contend with this awful sketch, but I hope that communicates the idea. You still retain access to the power inverter, or the cubbies depending on how you'd build it. But the end of the platform would have to be right up against the tailgate. It'd still be really tight for a lot of people though.
Sponsored

pbz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL (EB, AWD, Towing)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fusion 360 still has a free option, it's just gotten a bit more limited. Still pretty useful.

Irvinec32

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan to make a camper one way or another. I am thinking of designing something that works with the tailgate down since most of us are taller than 4.5 ft.

WVX76

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray XLT FX4, Subaru Forester Wilderness
I saw this custom camper at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. I think they’re on Instagram @wanderingtheweekend. It was really a nice build. He added airbags to help rear sag. I thought the tent top was genius.

Ford Maverick Camper build ideas for a Maverick with a top 2572AAEB-B81E-4651-AE96-99E6BD135CDE

Sponsored

Smack

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Building anything out of wood is "HEAVY" so remember you have 1500 lbs total. That's people and stuff. If you build something with wood it will be from 200-500 lbs.

On Youtube search for "truck drawers" lots of videos, that will give you ideas for the drawers.

Generally the camper does not go beyond the end of the truck bed, this is because it changes the dynamics of the vehicle ballance.
Some sort of sliding system might be the thing if you want a solid platform.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yeah drawers is a good idea. Build a HD removable drawer maybe 6" deep max. Then add a panel that covers the drawer when open and locks it in place. They your 4.5' is plaftorm becomes 8' long-ish. If you already have a topper, the ARE DCU we are ordering will have 23" height so add the 14" you have left of the bed gives you 37" headspace. All you need after that is SUV hatch tent for a few hundred. All your gear and cooking stuff goes in the drawers or in a kit box.

Pricing:
$350 for a nice tent
$400-500 to build drawers
$100 air mattress

You come in under $1000 for sleeping space.

You can set up a nice kitchen for $300-400
Shade, seating, and table $600
Water and power can be done DIY(non brand name) for $500

Figure $2500 for everything you would need. The exact same price as the crusty old pop up that has rips in half its cloth on craigslist.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just went with the canopy built a box fold the tail gate down use my legs to lift it and slide it in it fits under the canopy window as it folds down. Large mattress in the bed then if I want to lock it I lock the canopy window use a stick on the inside so it can't be pushed in and tie a rope so it doesnt slide out. Works fine was cheap I want the canopy anways. I also slept in the front one night you need to stuff stuff under your legs in the front to make it work

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw this custom camper at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff. I think they’re on Instagram @wanderingtheweekend. It was really a nice build. He added airbags to help rear sag. I thought the tent top was genius.

2572AAEB-B81E-4651-AE96-99E6BD135CDE.jpeg
This guy's setup is for real. Very impressive.

Sponsored

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Okay, possibly crazy idea. And probably uncomfortable as all hell, assuming you're over 5'6. I'm sure other folks have thought of it but the diagonal length of the bed, back to opposite front corner is approximately 72". I need to come up with plans, and some digital mockups but you could build a triangular sleeping platform in the back and if you're not tall, hopefully fit and sleep without putting the tailgate down. The shape would probably be akin to a baseball diamond, and you could have the storage drawers run perpendicular to the bed on one side, with additional cubbies or drawers underneath but they'd be much shorter and have to have a diagonal entrance. And of course, this is predicated upon the existence of a hardtop being available, or ideally one taller than the Ford OEM one that's available. I managed to take a LiDAR scan of my bed, but I don't have access to any CAD packages since Autodesk changed the licensing for Fusion 360.
1649389645501.png

So y'all are going to have to contend with this awful sketch, but I hope that communicates the idea. You still retain access to the power inverter, or the cubbies depending on how you'd build it. But the end of the platform would have to be right up against the tailgate. It'd still be really tight for a lot of people though.
I bet that setup cost as much as the truck. I need something more economical
We were heading out on a 7 day road trip to Colorado to escape the Texas heat and got delayed one day. I built this setup in that day! It secured our gear in the bed while traveling, hotel nights and trail heads. We pulled into any campsite, pulled our camp boxes out, slid them under the truck, Lifted the top, bolted the 2x2 legs in to hold it up, threw in our double blow up, pillows, tossed over the mosquito netting and boom. I also used a tent fly in case any rain was forecast. We were lucky there.
Of course, I have a list of improvements to add
(waterproofing is a challenge with the unibody bed) but for a whim and a day, it worked out great! Paid for itself the first night camping instead of hotel $$$.

**We have a popup (which our Mav w/4k tow hauls fine) and have tent camped for many years... this is an addition for road trips!

Ford Maverick Camper build ideas for a Maverick with a top IMG_20230725_215757202

Ford Maverick Camper build ideas for a Maverick with a top IMG_20230727_124346477_HDR

Ford Maverick Camper build ideas for a Maverick with a top IMG_20230728_083526667_MF_PORTRAIT~2

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm working with Radica in Denver and their Moonlander to see if it's feasible for the Maverick. You sleep across the bed.

Ford Maverick Camper build ideas for a Maverick with a top Screenshot_20230827_042340_Chrome
Ford Maverick Camper build ideas for a Maverick with a top Screenshot_20230827_042417_Chrome

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am working on this. The polywall will probably be swapped out. But you can see the idea.
I've watched your videos on this, and a couple other builds. Unfortunately this is not going to work for 2 of us. Very creative though!
Sponsored

Last edited: