Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For paperwork bill of sale I sold my F150 to my son for 1 dollar😁, he just had to buy a tag, title was reissued in his name
Some states use "alternate value" tables to determine a "reasonable" sales tax on "gifted" vehicles. Texas is one of them, as I learned to my chagrin when my son gifted me his old car...
Sponsored

Landric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4 Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just a note about registering in NC and having the vehicle in Washington State:

NC requires a yearly inspection. That has to be done in NC. In the old days that wasn't so much of a problem because one could simply not worry about it and keep renewing the registration. Now the registration can't be renewed unless the DMV system shows a current inspection. Unless he wants to drive back to NC for a state inspection every year then registering the vehicle in NC would be problematic. Driving a car in Washington State with an expired NC registration is probably illegal, the reverse would be in North Carolina.

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Option 14. You buy it and loan to your son for a year. Give him a document to carry that states YOU own the Maverick and HE has permission to use it. Make sure he is on YOUR car insurance as a driver. After 1 year gift it to your son and then register it in WA.

TomD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That is what I am afraid of- two sales taxes.

Recommendation of most here seems to be add son to title and register it in WA at son's address. Pay WA sales tax and title fees.
You should only pay sales tax where the vehicle is titled. Example: I bought a car for my son in Pennsylvania. The car was titled in Michigan so I paid only Michigan sales tax. I don’t think any state will double dip you on the sales tax. If you already paid sales tax take the bill of sale with you to the secretary of state. I don’t think you will be charged tax only the fees. there are some places like lake county in Illinois that have their own sales tax. I don’t know ho that will work. Beware of salesmen and finance people at dealerships they are not always aware of the laws.
Sponsored