Sponsored

Buying $6k ADM Hybrid Lariat, thoughts?

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
After attempting to find a 2022 dealer stock hybrid lariat for anywhere near sticker and failing miserably I'm considering purchasing one that is yet to arrive from a local dealership in the DMV area. They're refusing to budge off their $6k markup and they're charging a ridiculous "Processing Fee" of $899.

They are taking a student rebate of $750 off and the only reason I'm truly considering this is my trade value. I'm trading a 2017 Subaru Impreza that I bought 2 years ago for $16k, put on 10k miles, Subaru had it at about $13k value and I'm getting $18.5k on the trade. My idea, crazy high trade values are washing out the crazy ADM on the Maverick.

Thoughts? Should I do it? I've NEVER paid over MSRP, usually way under invoice, but these times and all these other buyers (I guess including me if I move forward) are making it impossible to do that. Truck is listed on United Road Tracker with a load number and Ford tracker has it as an early Feb delivery.
Sponsored

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
After attempting to find a 2022 dealer stock hybrid lariat for anywhere near sticker and failing miserably I'm considering purchasing one that is yet to arrive from a local dealership in the DMV area. They're refusing to budge off their $6k markup and they're charging a ridiculous "Processing Fee" of $899.

They are taking a student rebate of $750 off and the only reason I'm truly considering this is my trade value. I'm trading a 2017 Subaru Impreza that I bought 2 years ago for $16k, put on 10k miles, Subaru had it at about $13k value and I'm getting $18.5k on the trade. My idea, crazy high trade values are washing out the crazy ADM on the Maverick.

Thoughts? Should I do it? I've NEVER paid over MSRP, usually way under invoice, but these times and all these other buyers (I guess including me if I move forward) are making it impossible to do that. Truck is listed on United Road Tracker with a load number and Ford tracker has it as an early Feb delivery.
If you are going to pay that much of a mark up, you should look nationally for other hybrids on their way to dealers. Mavericks heading to dealers that do not resort to market adjustment mark ups. They exist. The extra 6k you were going to spend on this mode, you could put toward the travel itll cost to get to the Maverick. But if your time is worth a lot, and you cant afford to be searching for random Mavericks and making all sorts of calls, then maybe 6k is not too bad?

OP
OP

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
If you are going to pay that much of a mark up, you should look nationally for other hybrids on their way to dealers. Mavericks heading to dealers that do not resort to market adjustment mark ups. They exist. The extra 6k you were going to spend on this mode, you could put toward the travel itll cost to get to the Maverick. But if your time is worth a lot, and you cant afford to be searching for random Mavericks and making all sorts of calls, then maybe 6k is not too bad?
I have no problem looking nationally or frankly driving really far away to get a better deal, I'll take a look now but do you know of any with in stock or soon to arrive Mavericks? Furthest I've gone for a deal to date was NC to FL and I didn't mind it one bit.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello no, sounds like you are young and already have a decent car, dont start out with a bad investment. Wait until the order bank opens this summer and order one for msrp or less and trade your subaru for the same amount when it comes in, prices arent going down for awhile. Or if you are really itchin you can call around for an order cancellation, wouldnt pay over msrp though.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a dealer use that same logic on me "yes you are paying over sticker, but your trade value is up also." So? My trade value being up should be a plus for me, NOT the dealer.

Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Do what you want, but high trade doesn’t make up for paying over sticker. You can get high trade value by selling your car to another dealership without buying.

OP
OP

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
Hello no, sounds like you are young and already have a decent car, dont start out with a bad investment. Wait until the order bank opens this summer and order one for msrp or less and trade your subaru for the same amount when it comes in, prices arent going down for awhile. Or if you are really itchin you can call around for an order cancellation, wouldnt pay over msrp though.
lol not young, not old I'm 37. You're not wrong about the order banks in the Summer being a better bet but with the increase MSRP that's inevitable plus that's assuming this used car value balloon wont explode before I get the truck which would likely be early 2023 at this pace.

As far as investments go, the value of the trade still puts me at under MSRP walk out price. All your points make all the sense like 1 year ago lol, this time is weird. I'm going to start looking around. I really don't like this which is why I'm posting on here.

OP
OP

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
I had a dealer use that same logic on me "yes you are paying over sticker, but your trade value is up also." So? My trade value being up should be a plus for me, NOT the dealer.
I agree completely but the "should" is the part that is disconnected for what I'm finding in these streets. Hopefully I can find these mythical dealership with stock charging MSRP Enderet mentioned!

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's your money and your life. Enjoy the truck if you buy. We might get it cheaper by outlasting Ford, but there is a certain price you pay here in terms of anxiety and frustration waiting for the unknown.

OP
OP

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
Do what you want, but high trade doesn’t make up for paying over sticker. You can get high trade value by selling your car to another dealership without buying.
Nope you're right, it doesn't make up for it at all, I absolutely hate it. Like atomguy245 said that should be positive equity I'm able to roll into the loan. It does however wash it out. Everything you guys are saying is what I'm telling myself so hopefully I'm not coming off too defensive! I know I've drank the cool-aid at this point but it's not the salesman's, its of my own doing. I'm not even in the country right now, currently deployed overseas and doing all my negotiating online.

Sponsored

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That trade in value is awesome - you certainly have to look at both values. I agree that the higher trade-in offsets the ADM. Seems like a wash on paper.

A couple of things to consider:
Trade In Value goes down with another dealer? Very possible. Maybe check Carvana for a quote.
MY23 Maverick Hybrid will be a higher price than MY22.
The Hybrid is in demand and restrained production.
Are there any dealers who will sell a stock (cancelled) Hybrid at MSRP? We have seen a few but many more with high ADM's.
What if the Hybrid Maverick becomes another Bronco fiasco?
The Wait? The stress?

You should make the decision that works for you!

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea its a weird situation for sure. I don't fault you for looking at this. My advise like others would be to look around for a hybrid at MSRP... I would even suggest that if you can find an ecoboost at MSRP that would be a better deal than the hybrid with a 6k adm. $6k pays for far more gas than you will save on the hybrid. Plus you would get a vehicle with AWD if that matters to you.

OP
OP

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
It's your money and your life. Enjoy the truck if you buy. We might get it cheaper by outlasting Ford, but their is a certain price you pay here in terms of anxiety and frustration waiting for the unknown.
Bro I think you hit my feelings on this whole thing right on the dang-on head! The frustration and constant contacts with at least 25 dealerships at this point on vehicles like the Mach-E and previously the Rav4 Prime, I'm over it and if I come out in a wash then maybe my peace of mind is worth this ordeal being over... they've won!! lol

OP
OP

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
That trade in value is awesome - you certainly have to look at both values. I agree that the higher trade-in offsets the ADM. Seems like a wash on paper.

A couple of things to consider:
Trade In Value goes down with another dealer? Very possible. Maybe check Carvana for a quote.
MY23 Maverick Hybrid will be a higher price than MY22.
The Hybrid is in demand and restrained production.
Are there any dealers who will sell a stock (cancelled) Hybrid at MSRP? We have seen a few but many more with high ADM's.
What if the Hybrid Maverick becomes another Bronco fiasco?
The Wait? The stress?

You should make the decision that works for you!
All those points are exactly the pros/cons I've weighted, the trade value trends across multiple dealers. I was quoted the same trade amount on a Mach-E GT and a Jeep Gladiator Mojave. The Maverick is still significantly cheaper then either of those other two and I think it makes the most sense for my family and I.

OP
OP

idoitforv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Impreza
Yea its a weird situation for sure. I don't fault you for looking at this. My advise like others would be to look around for a hybrid at MSRP... I would even suggest that if you can find an ecoboost at MSRP that would be a better deal than the hybrid with a 6k adm. $6k pays for far more gas than you will save on the hybrid. Plus you would get a vehicle with AWD if that matters to you.
You are not wrong, and I'll look to see if removing that requirement increases my chances at catching a fish at or closer too MSRP.
Sponsored