Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've read through all the posts I could find on this issue. None I saw had a resolution. Posting in case there's new info out there.

On a 3 hour drive yesterday. Rolled windows down 2 hours in and smelled a burning smell. Somewhere between burning breaks and exhaust fumes. We were on flattish roads.

Last hour was mostly up curvy mountain roads. Smell was stronger.

We could smell it a little bit inside, but mostly outside.

22 hybrid. 9k miles.

I'll run it by Ford, but any thoughts?
Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I hope this isn’t a precursor to an engine failure. Stay safe out there!

atldump

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
its normal smell for the first 2000 miles. from underside of truck.

OP
OP

Kingfish

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Follow up. Might be coolant. Engine temp still good, but coolant is at "min" level. Just had oil change a couple weeks ago and assume they Topped everything up.

No smell after 1 hour of driving today and coolant level hasn't dropped further.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Follow up. Might be coolant. Engine temp still good, but coolant is at "min" level. Just had oil change a couple weeks ago and assume they Topped everything up.

No smell after 1 hour of driving today and coolant level hasn't dropped further.
Coolant wouldn't smell like burning brakes. The fluid at min may be another concern though. Did you lift the truck and spin your wheels by hand? You may have a caliper grabbing a wheel. Note: you should feel and hear some resistance when turning but it shouldn't be difficult to do.

Sponsored

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could be coolant leaking from the heat exchanger, which means directly onto the Cat or exhaust, and yes the smell could get interesting.

That coolant is going somewhere. Check for a leak at the heat exchanger, hanging over the exhaust towards the rear of the truck.

There are many reports of leaking/failed heat exchangers.

OP
OP

Kingfish

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks guys!

Good to know about the heat exchanger.

Made it home with no additional smell and no further loss of coolant.

I'm going to add coolant (I've verified the correct type) in a bit. I've also contacted Ford.

I'll share any further issues or resolutions in case it's interesting to others.

Matso

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My personal opinion, I don't think it has anything to do with your coolant. It sounds more likely they dripped some oil around during the change and it hasn't burned off yet. That can last for a while. Just throwing it out there.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, given the description it's best to be safe here. Could be many things. Hopefully not the worst thing though. 9k miles is a bit beyond the break in smell that some others have mentioned. If you can't pinpoint the issue and are losing coolant, I'd definitely avoid driving it. I've noticed the past two FORD's to be on the "minimum" coolant level in the reservoir when new like that though. Have you monitored it previously? When was the last time the oil was changed? Check the fluids etc etc? Did you try to pinpoint a spot where the smell was strongest from after you parked? Could be a lot of things. I'd be getting under to make sure nothing is burning that shouldn't be before I drove it again - like loose wires or something plastic etc etc.

OP
OP

Kingfish

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, given the description it's best to be safe here. Could be many things. Hopefully not the worst thing though. 9k miles is a bit beyond the break in smell that some others have mentioned. If you can't pinpoint the issue and are losing coolant, I'd definitely avoid driving it. I've noticed the past two FORD's to be on the "minimum" coolant level in the reservoir when new like that though. Have you monitored it previously? When was the last time the oil was changed? Check the fluids etc etc? Did you try to pinpoint a spot where the smell was strongest from after you parked? Could be a lot of things. I'd be getting under to make sure nothing is burning that shouldn't be before I drove it again - like loose wires or something plastic etc etc.
Thanks!
Oil changed about 2 weeks ago.

Drove it home carefully (checked often for smell and coolant levels). All was good on the ride home. No smell at all.

Smell was worst outside of drivers side door.

Gonna double check fluids tomorrow and look at wires more closely. Thanks for the ideas.
Sponsored