First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For as long as I have been driving i have just rolled on whatever was there as far as the looks of my vehicles go.

This time I am planning on keeping the truck pretty much forever so I actually care. I want the Maverick to look good, with whatever mods I do lasting as long as I do.

One of the few things I don't like about the Maverick Lariat hybrid is that I only have two rim choices, and don't like either one. I stuck with the one that comes stock, as I didn't want to spend extra for rims I didn't really like.

What I actually prefer looks wise are the FX4 blacked out wheels.

The way I see it my options are:

Just live with them like I've done in the past.

Buy new rims and sell my Lariat ones.

Trade mine for FX4 rims, assuming I can find a trade.

Have mine powder coated

Paint mine

I don't know how well spray paint would hold up long term, have never looked into powder coating, nor have I ever bought rims.

Figured I would come here and see what others have done, and if there are recommendations or pitfalls I should avoid.

Besides, it gives me something to talk about other than "I wonder if ill get an email this week" (which I'll still wonder)
Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Power coating is far superior to paint. Powder coating will typically cost you in the $75-$125/wheel range.

Getting some FX4 wheels now might be a little tricky as the vehicle is just so new to market. In time there will be more out there to scoop up. In the future there may even be a company who makes some replica FX4 wheels. They’re insanely priced directly from Ford.

HybridNiroGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are the standard XLT rims easily powder coated? I'm thinking they would look great black. Not sure glossy vs matte though

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Best way to black out wheels? 514+RxLSq5L._AC_SL1001_

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For as long as I have been driving i have just rolled on whatever was there as far as the looks of my vehicles go.

This time I am planning on keeping the truck pretty much forever so I actually care. I want the Maverick to look good, with whatever mods I do lasting as long as I do.

One of the few things I don't like about the Maverick Lariat hybrid is that I only have two rim choices, and don't like either one. I stuck with the one that comes stock, as I didn't want to spend extra for rims I didn't really like.

What I actually prefer looks wise are the FX4 blacked out wheels.

The way I see it my options are:

Just live with them like I've done in the past.

Buy new rims and sell my Lariat ones.

Trade mine for FX4 rims, assuming I can find a trade.

Have mine powder coated

Paint mine

I don't know how well spray paint would hold up long term, have never looked into powder coating, nor have I ever bought rims.

Figured I would come here and see what others have done, and if there are recommendations or pitfalls I should avoid.

Besides, it gives me something to talk about other than "I wonder if ill get an email this week" (which I'll still wonder)
When it doubt POWDER COAT

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am contemplating the same thing. I checked around and there are lots of shops doing powder coating somewhat nearby. One will remove the wheels and tires, powder coat them and put the tires and wheels back on the truck for $500. I like the look of semi gloss black.

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
For a lasting finish powder coating it the best way to go, but it can be expensive. This depends on where you live. I live in a small town, with one powder coater and he wanted $150 per wheel to do my wife's Honda Fit wheels.
I ended up doing them myself with spray bombs and they turned out quite well. Mind you, they're now the Fit's winter wheels/snow tires setup.

I also have a lariat and I really dislike the look of the wheels that come with this truck.
I recently bought snow tires and had them mounted on the stock wheels. This Spring I plan on mounting the stock tires on a set of new wheels.

Marcopolo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick and Ford Mustang
Plasti dip is the way to go. $15 for the bottle

Ford Maverick Best way to black out wheels? 2D43EB34-BC03-4FAE-A8AB-66D804EBC989

Ford Maverick Best way to black out wheels? C632D517-60F2-4D17-8F62-9EAC3527CD8B

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOLLLLLLL Plasti-Dip will look like crap quickly. For $15 you get exactly what you pay for.

The correct way to do this is to dismount the tires, power coat the wheels, remount and rebalance. There's a reason the factory wheels are power coated.

2nd best way (other than 2-part epoxy from a gun) is Eastwood's 2K Aerospray in rattle cans. A true 2-part catalyzed epoxy paint. Shake very well, push the button on the bottom of the can to introduce the hardener, and shake again very well. Very hard finish that works well on wheels.

Sponsored

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOLLLLLLL Plasti-Dip will look like crap quickly. For $15 you get exactly what you pay for.

The correct way to do this is to dismount the tires, power coat the wheels, remount and rebalance. There's a reason the factory wheels are power coated.

2nd best way (other than 2-part epoxy from a gun) is Eastwood's 2K Aerospray in rattle cans. A true 2-part catalyzed epoxy paint. Shake very well, push the button on the bottom of the can to introduce the hardener, and shake again very well. Very hard finish that works well on wheels.

I had my Sonic wheels plasti dipped for 3 years. They still looked like the day I painted them when I sold it, except for one spot from the car wash rail I scraped against. 🤷‍♂️

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Plastidip is a great option if done correctly (plus you can peel them off if you get bored of the color)

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The fact that Plastidip can be peeled off proves its long term quality and durability. OP stated he plans to keep his truck forever and wants mods to last as long as the truck. There’s a reason why OEM’s powder coat their wheels. 2nd best is a true 2-part epoxy that’s now available in rattle cans.

Last edited:

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plastidip is a great option if done correctly (plus you can peel them off if you get bored of the color)
Someone did this.

I did my Sport Trac wheels and they lasted until I sold it(6 months.) About $25 for four cans. There's also a clear gloss plastic dip, if you don't liked them matte.

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did my Sport Trac wheels and they lasted until I sold it(6 months.) About $25 for four cans. There's also a clear gloss plastic dip, if you don't liked them matte.
The clear gloss, at least the PlastiDip brand cans, doesn't come out especially glossy in my experience. I haven't used it myself but DipYourCar's Hyperdip Piano Black might be better for gloss black.
Sponsored