2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good day everyone,

First time posting, apologies if this is not the right spot.

I stumbled upon this site and thought it was awesome to see a site dedicated to the Maverick. I'm curious to see what kind of DIY ideas people come up with. This will be the first truck I'll own (technically I'm leasing but still excited).

My build is the XLT hybrid with the lux package.

One of the things I'm hoping to do when I get the Maverick is go on a solo camping trip. I'm trying to look for a tent where I can access the back window and is compatible with the Maverick and looking for suggestions.

The setup I had in mind was putting a sheet of plywood on the wheel housing and sleeping on that (with a foam mattress). I'll have additional support underneath the plywood probably going front to back of the truck bed.

I was looking at this but have no idea on how to choose a tent. Maybe one doesn't exist yet for the size of the Maverick? Any help is much appreciated

Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Are you 4' tall?

In all seriousness, I have a pop-up bed tent for my GMC with a 6.5" bed. I'm 6'1" tall and I use a air mattress with the tent. It's comfortable - but I don't think the Maverick has enough room for me to comfortably lay down. No without my legs sticking out of the tent.

Last edited:

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Are you 4' tall?
He might be expecting the tailgate down with an extender.
If so, maybe look at my post, it could easily be converted to a tent/ camper, though even with an extender you are looking at 6ft or less.

OP
OP

zerosaber

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
He might be expecting the tailgate down with an extender.
If so, maybe look at my post, it could easily be converted to a tent/ camper, though even with an extender you are looking at 6ft or less.
That looks cool! Never thought about doing something like that. Though if I bring a dog, that might be difficult. But thanks for showing me this. Something else to consider

Sponsored

Beppin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger, 2019 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Mazda3
I wonder if you could just use a regular 1 or 2 person pop-up tent over the top of 2x6 boards and a full sheet of 3/4" plywood over the wheel beds and tailgate. Then you would have storage under the tent and more leg room. But it would be pretty high off the ground.

OP
OP

zerosaber

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if you could just use a regular 1 or 2 person pop-up tent over the top of 2x6 boards and a full sheet of 3/4" plywood over the wheel beds and tailgate. Then you would have storage under the tent and more leg room. But it would be pretty high off the ground.
That would cool. Another idea to toy with

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I was messing around with photoshop and created a mockup of an Alu-Cab aluminum canopy, an Alu-Cab Gen 3.1 tent and an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn. Also the idea of a DECKED system in the bed.

I personally prefer my tent on the ground so there is less of a chance falling on my face in the middle of the night to use the bathroom after slamming a case of Redd's.

Ford Maverick Bed tent recommendations for Maverick? adventurebuild

SHBGuerrilla

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, Cyber Orange 2.0
I don’t understand the desire to sleep on the roof of your SUV or in the bed of a mini truck… why not put a tent on the ground? Or get a camper?
Some people aren't fond of snakes and bugs, or being a perfectly rolled burrito for a curious bear. Not that it would help the latter, it may provide some peace of mind.

I admit I'm still on team on-ground, but if your spouse or someone you care about is still being weaned off the camp grounds and into the primitive, it seems like a good transition.

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some people aren't fond of snakes and bugs, or being a perfectly rolled burrito for a curious bear. Not that it would help the latter, it may provide some peace of mind.

I admit I'm still on team on-ground, but if your spouse or someone you care about is still being weaned off the camp grounds and into the primitive, it seems like a good transition.
Sometimes there's no good place for a tent.

dan s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy s10
My thought is to use the tailgate to support a 4x8, but hinge the plywood so it will fold into the bed and I can shut the tailgate. Then use a tent cot on top with storage underneath. If that makes sense?

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What if the extension worked like a pop up camper and went out to the side instead of to the back?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Ford Maverick Bed tent recommendations for Maverick? 8FD9A552-42B2-4793-BF43-6243AD38F6A7

Or over the back

bpcooper14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My thought is to use the tailgate to support a 4x8, but hinge the plywood so it will fold into the bed and I can shut the tailgate. Then use a tent cot on top with storage underneath. If that makes sense?
Here's a video of someone who used the oversized tent cot. It's what I'm thinking of doing possibly. Way cheaper than those truck bed tent set ups
Sponsored