AWD Nice but Not Necessary in Winter

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
I'm a bicyclist, so I'm well aware of the grades on the local and county roads. The county roads in my area can reach 12% grade (I know of many that have short stretches of 14%) and the local roads can see 16%. On these hills (and in my own driveway that is 1/4 mile long with a max grade of 12% following a 90 degree turn) I REQUIRE all four wheels turning. It's funny when some flat lander tells me I don't need AWD or 4WD.
Good Luck...I doubt if it has AWD ...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Yes, I would say we do. First of all the Maverick is being built on the C2 platform, a platform that has spawned an AWD Escape and Bronco. Secondly, we have seen photos of production Mavericks (the trucks we have seen in the last month are early production models) with a rear differential indicating that AWD is indeed available. Lastly, the Santa Cruz is also likely AWD. Ford would be giving a significant market advantage to the direct competition if AWD is not part of the platform.

So yes, the Maverick will have AWD.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
Yes, I would say we do. First of all the Maverick is being built on the C2 platform, a platform that has spawned an AWD Escape and Bronco. Secondly, we have seen photos of production Mavericks (the trucks we have seen in the last month are early production models) with a rear differential indicating that AWD is indeed available. Lastly, the Santa Cruz is also likely AWD. Ford would be giving a significant market advantage to the direct competition if AWD is not part of the platform.

So yes, the Maverick will have AWD.
Where did you see a rear differential shot, I saw different rear suspension shots but that doesn’t guarantee AWD ...I’ll believe it when I See it ..
Regards

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Regardless, the point being if you are making a financial choice between AWD and Winter Tires, Winter tires are a better option. Obviously, both would be ideal.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Regardless, the point being if you are making a financial choice between AWD and Winter Tires, Winter tires are a better option. Obviously, both would be ideal.
Yes, if that works for you in your situation, then that is what you should do. But the title of your thread is just wrong as it only applies to people who live where it doesn't snow, or if it does snow the land is flat. I've never has the luxury of either.

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We get lots of snow. I would think it applies to hilly areas that get snow as well.
I know I would rather be driving my FWD vehicle w/Hakka’s than my Dads AWD w/All Seasons up one of the steep hills here in snow.

but no we don’t have hills everywhere.

Sponsored

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Just FYI Honda discontinued offering the FWD model for Ridgeline for 2021.
The 2017-2021 offered a FWD version with Traction Management settings for Normal and Snow. The Ridgeline with IVTM4 Torque Vectorng AWD mechanically simular to the Super Handling AWD System in the Acura MDX but tuned differently has Normal Snow Mud Sand modes.
The 2006-2014 Ridgeline all came with 4WD with VTM4 lock button.
But the Torque Vectorng AWD System in Ridgeline is the top AWD System offered by Honda. The price difference was about
$ 1,800 from FWD version. But the Torque Vectorng doesn't only work in Snowy condition it works in All Weather conditions even dry helping the vehicle corner.
I'm sure Ford is not offering their best AWD System in the Maverick. I don't know about. Hyundai HTRAC AWD offered in Santa Cruz.
But sales of FWD Ridgeline probably was issue for Honda to discontinue.
They can easily sell a Pilot with FWD but not Ridgeline.

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One of Mav’s appeal is price so guessing FWD will not be discontinued. People buying Ridgelines arnt looking for sub 20k trucks. .

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
No I wasn't really referring to Ridgeline itself.
But I think somepeople will have problem buying FWD truck period.
They don't mind FWD car or Crossover but their pickup truck is a different story.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
For the folks that say "I have AWD/4WD and I can tell you I need it." and the folks who say "Nobody needs AWD/4WD." I live in Montana it snows here. There are mountains in my part of the state. I went from an SUV with AWD to a small sedan with front wheel drive. There are now some places / roads I don't go in the Winter. Side Note: plowing is viewed here as unnecessary government interference with our constitutional freedoms. But, my conclusion is that I don't need AWD/4WD. But if I had to go some places on some roads, I might. What I do need is more ground clearance. Good tires and good ground clearance will get you a lot of places in the snow with or without AWD/4WD.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the folks that say "I have AWD/4WD and I can tell you I need it." and the folks who say "Nobody needs AWD/4WD." I live in Montana it snows here. There are mountains in my part of the state. I went from an SUV with AWD to a small sedan with front wheel drive. There are now some places / roads I don't go in the Winter. Side Note: plowing is viewed here as unnecessary government interference with our constitutional freedoms. But, my conclusion is that I don't need AWD/4WD. But if I had to go some places on some roads, I might. What I do need is more ground clearance. Good tires and good ground clearance will get you a lot of places in the snow with or without AWD/4WD.
I think that this says it best. I grew up in a hilly, rural snowy area. My hill was dirt growing up and not a top priority for plowing. It involved a probably 75 degree stop/turn at the bottom. I can count the number of times on one hand that we couldn't make it up the hill in our FWD minivan (or later Honda Fit) in 20 years. I also spent 12 years living in New England, half of that in pretty snowy Western Massachusetts and almost all of it driving to this little rinky dink mountain in VT to ski every weekend. The only time I got my FWD vehicles stuck was in parking lots (where the hard frozen ground melted out during the day). As you drove through all the little hill towns of Vermont, over half the vehicles were cheap FWD cars then you got to the ski lots and everything was Tacomas, SUVs, and Subarus.

For the Maverick, I'm more worried about clearance than AWD. I do want AWD as where I live now has a lot of sandy, semi-maintained roads. I find that trickier to drive on that with a 2wd, open differential vehicle than on snow, but that's mostly just because when driving on snowy roads, it's easier to keep smooth consistent speed (and that I grew up driving in snow mostly likely). I'm sure I'd be fine though if the Maverick came with decent ground clearance and a (foux) differential lock for whatever axle it puts power to.
Sponsored