Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
If I wanted to spend $38k, hell, I could actually go right past the Ranger and build an F150 exactly how I wanted. Ive toyed with that idea MANY times too. Regular cab, V8, 4wd and the FX4 package. Basically perfection right there. I just cannot see the value proposition on spending that much on a vehicle purchase though. Its completely absurd how pricey cars have gotten.

For the Maverick Ill probably go as low model as I can go just to avoid those silly "nanny" electronic systems that are difficult to disable(and ill still have to figure out how to disable the start-stop and A/C, I already know that). For me the best thing that could ever happen is to wait and see what they're planning for a fleet model. I can only assume at the price point(and honestly the low capability point itll be) the Maverick will be a goldmine for fleet usage. Im SUPER excited to what kind of stuff the aftermarket makes for goodies to make it into a good usable hauler for materials and equipment. My first priority would be some sort a roof rack/ladder rack combo to use for longer items like lumber/ladders/recreational equipment on top of it. Also I hope they do something like the Tacoma does and do a rear seat delete option to save me the time of throwing that stuff out. Build a nice beefy storage box in the rear for tools and whatnot.

As far as the size thing too, isnt a new ranger only like 210" long? Its only like 6" longer than the old Ranger. I dont foresee the Maverick being too noticeably smaller than that. Maybe a foot at BEST. I mean even the old single cab Ranger was 189" long. Do people honestly think its going to be in that size range? What I DO see is the Maverick being a lot less capable in every respect than the Ranger platform. Ive said it many times, a lot of people are aiming for the moon with the Maverick and i think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in relation to the supposed price point they're aiming for.

------

Also to keep it back on topic of these different subframes I find it very odd they would develop two different rear suspension designs for such a cheap little budget truck like this. I wonder if the torsion beam was just a thrown together thing for testing and the more normal wishbone is a newer design closer to what the Maverick will actually get (on all the models). I just cant fathom how its more cost effective to offer two entirely different subframe and suspension setups on the same model of vehicle like this. My only counterargument to this is MAYBE they plan this thing to be a huge fleet seller and across a bunch of those a seperate FWD setup with a torsion beam setup would make sense. Otherwise I dont really see the FWD models being a big enough seller to even warrant the need of two different rear setups.

Edit: Or wait.... Does the FWD Escape and what not use this same torsion beam setup already? I hadnt thought of that really.
I just want a cheap front wheel drive truck so my wife can take the empty beer cans to the crusher ...
Sponsored

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
I just want a cheap front wheel drive truck so my wife can take the empty beer cans to the crusher ...
Good post Doc, I want a small, good on gas truck with a bed big enough to hold a cooler, a couple beach chairs and fishing poles.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I want a truck that

1. Fits through my narrow shared driveway.
2. Has a thousand pounds payload (remember half ton?)
3. Can tow my 16' fiberglass boat or a utility trailer.
4. Can handle a canoe or a kayak on a topper.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
See that's my absolute number 1 priority too. With such a small, useless bed I would need a roof rack/ladder rack combo to cover the bases of hauling lumber and recreational toys. Because of the silly, stupid, crew cab body style I think they bed is gonna be awfully small.

At a minimum I would need something like this, but i would definitely want to toy around with and try full basket setups for on top of the racks too:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/09/4d/45/094d4500d1261ea403cb4afcbb7e607c.jpg

Also for that payload you should be fine. The Escape has a 1000+ pound payload so there's no chance the Maverick be below that. For width Id assume itll match the Bronco Sport at around 74" wide. The Ranger is about 78". Length wise I would guesstimate this thing is probably gonna be around the 200" mark. Somewhere around a foot shy of the Ranger based on spy pics id guess. So its not going to be a lot smaller than the Ranger but it'll be a bit more compact in tight drives Id think. For tow ratings I'm thinking itll be around the 3500 pound range(no more than 5000 at the absolute max). Plenty for a small boat or utility trailer.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
See that's my absolute number 1 priority too. With such a small, useless bed I would need a roof rack/ladder rack combo to cover the bases of hauling lumber and recreational toys. Because of the silly, stupid, crew cab body style I think they bed is gonna be awfully small.

At a minimum I would need something like this, but i would definitely want to toy around with and try full basket setups for on top of the racks too:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/09/4d/45/094d4500d1261ea403cb4afcbb7e607c.jpg

Also for that payload you should be fine. The Escape has a 1000+ pound payload so there's no chance the Maverick be below that. For width Id assume itll match the Bronco Sport at around 74" wide. The Ranger is about 78". Length wise I would guesstimate this thing is probably gonna be around the 200" mark. Somewhere around a foot shy of the Ranger based on spy pics id guess. So its not going to be a lot smaller than the Ranger but it'll be a bit more compact in tight drives Id think. For tow ratings I'm thinking itll be around the 3500 pound range(no more than 5000 at the absolute max). Plenty for a small boat or utility trailer.
I’m hoping for towing of 4500-5000 lb. Enough for my small motorboat and trailer. Even the Escape AWD can handle 3500 lb. So I hope I’m not asking too much

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want a truck that

Obviously bragging rights drives part of this, but I think that a lot of the increase in payload in trucks has been driven by them becoming 4-5 passenger vehicles. You stick four average Americans in a vehicle and you're only looking at a couple hundred pounds of payload for a 1000lb payload truck. If you want to be able to use it as a people hauler and carry something in the bed, payload has to go up a bit. If they were to make a version that has no back seats (or no back seats you could possibly wedge an adult in), you're obviously dealing with a bit more wiggle room in terms of payload.

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
I want a truck that

Good point on #4, I would like a 'yak carrier. I'm sure Ford or an after market company will make one.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I'm carrying 4 adults, two dogs, a cooler, groceries, and stuff I will easily approach or even tip over 1000 pounds payload, especially if I'm strapping a canoe. But with that size bed it would be full. Payload is geographic. For a Honda CR-V the payload is 850lbs in the US, 875 pounds in Canada, 1200lb in the UK. Same vehicle.

In any case if I'm dealing with 500lb of junk for the dump I know my wife isn't coming with me.

Obviously bragging rights drives part of this, but I think that a lot of the increase in payload in trucks has been driven by them becoming 4-5 passenger vehicles. You stick four average Americans in a vehicle and you're only looking at a couple hundred pounds of payload for a 1000lb payload truck. If you want to be able to use it as a people hauler and carry something in the bed, payload has to go up a bit. If they were to make a version that has no back seats (or no back seats you could possibly wedge an adult in), you're obviously dealing with a bit more wiggle room in terms of payload.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc