Sponsored

Anyone installed an auto dimming rear view mirror yet?

Thodges

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Regal and Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’ve been looking at aftermarket auto dimming mirrors, but I’d rather follow in someone else’s footsteps Than blaze the path myself.
Sponsored

Strobe

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2013 BMW M3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did. It’s a frameless gentex auto dim with homelink and compass. Was pretty simple. I really wanted homelink which is why I got it. Used a fuse tap and there was even a slot listed for “auto dim mirror”.

DIY: unscrew the mirror set screw. Pull mirror up and it should slide off. Remove plastic shroud from the camera on the windshield. I used trim tools and just pulled on it and it popped off clip by clip. It is attached with a tail so it dangles when loose. Tucked wire along headliner, pushed into the A pillar trim seam against headliner and then under the door seal flap. Popped off the side dash cap (broke a couple clips there) and dropped wire into footwell. Unscrewed fuse box screw and put ground on that, then fuse tapped the auto dim mirror fuse. I put both homelink and auto dim power together as it’s switched to accessory power, that way homelink only works with key in car.

I took some pictures, but been lazy about posting a real DIY. It works great and glad to have homelink again. Looks OEM and honestly homelink and auto dim should have been included with lariat lux or at least optional.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did. It’s a frameless gentex auto dim with homelink and compass. Was pretty simple. I really wanted homelink which is why I got it. Used a fuse tap and there was even a slot listed for “auto dim mirror”.

DIY: unscrew the mirror set screw. Pull mirror up and it should slide off. Remove plastic shroud from the camera on the windshield. I used trim tools and just pulled on it and it popped off clip by clip. It is attached with a tail so it dangles when loose. Tucked wire along headliner, pushed into the A pillar trim seam against headliner and then under the door seal flap. Popped off the side dash cap (broke a couple clips there) and dropped wire into footwell. Unscrewed fuse box screw and put ground on that, then fuse tapped the auto dim mirror fuse. I put both homelink and auto dim power together as it’s switched to accessory power, that way homelink only works with key in car.

I took some pictures, but been lazy about posting a real DIY. It works great and glad to have homelink again. Looks OEM and honestly homelink and auto dim should have been included with lariat lux or at least optional.
Nice! Do you have a link to the mirror you used?

Strobe

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
Honestly not sure how dark the tint is on the rear glass (I know laws vary by state as well) but ever since I started tinting my vehicles, I never found the need for a dimming rearview mirror, whether it be automatic or manual. I've actually found the automatic dimming ones to be worse off and I wasn't able to see at night when combined with the tint. And honestly, the cost to tint is about the same as some of these auto dimming mirrors.

If the factory tint isn't that dark, I plan on getting the rest of the vehicle tinted anyway so I can just redo it (tinting is a must in Florida...). This will be my first truck in years so I am hoping the tint combined with the vehicle height will make a dimming review mirror unnecessary.

Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly not sure how dark the tint is on the rear glass (I know laws vary by state as well) but ever since I started tinting my vehicles, I never found the need for a dimming rearview mirror, whether it be automatic or manual. I've actually found the automatic dimming ones to be worse off and I wasn't able to see at night when combined with the tint. And honestly, the cost to tint is about the same as some of these auto dimming mirrors.

If the factory tint isn't that dark, I plan on getting the rest of the vehicle tinted anyway so I can just redo it (tinting is a must in Florida...). This will be my first truck in years so I am hoping the tint combined with the vehicle height will make a dimming review mirror unnecessary.
It’s dark tint but because of the ride height, I found myself flipping the mirror into the night position to stop vehicles behind me from blinding the crap out of me, especially with HIDs or LEDs. Jeep wranglers were the most annoying in my opinion. I’m tall as well, didn’t make a difference lol.

The factory rear view also has significant magnification that I really hated, which probably made night driving more annoying as well. Frankly it’s the worst rear view mirror I ever experienced due to the over-magnification Ford used, possibly to have better visibility to the rear due to the bed I guess? I didn’t even last more than a few days before I clipped on my Broadway wide view mirror that’s tinted blue stock for anti-glare from my mustang. Incredible world of difference in daytime or at night in my opinion. I may eventually swap out mirrors but I’m fine with the Broadway for now.

Strobe

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed mine mostly for the homelink, but the auto-dimming is a nice extra benefit. Couldn't care less about the compass though. I've had auto-dimming mirrors for years in my tinted cars and it's definitely dark at night when someone is behind you. I can't see anything other than the headlights, which is all I need to know someone is behind me. Once they turn off though it un-dims and it's just like a normal mirror. I am glad it auto-dims and wouldn't buy a homelink mirror without it. Now if the side mirrors would auto-dim too... Miss that from my previous daily driver.

Last edited:

GambleGarage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had my guy that tinted my windows tint my mirror. Works for now but a little too dark

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll probably buy a dashcam mirror, that has dimming built in, once my truck shows up. (I have a dashcam now, and might as well kill two birds with one stone/mirror). Not sure I'll use the rear camera, as not sure how easy it will be to run cabling, and find a suitable mount in the rear.

Bird2112

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota, Mazda, Mini (GOODBYE MINI!)
I’ve been looking at aftermarket auto dimming mirrors, but I’d rather follow in someone else’s footsteps Than blaze the path myself.
Gentex is the ONLY brand to buy. They are the OEM supplier to everyone. Real quality and durability.
Sponsored