Anyone else buy an EB WITHOUT AWD?

rickon66

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2.0 Turbo
Never owned a 4x4 or AWD in over 57 years of auto ownership and probably have been stuck in the snow 3 or 4 times, I was usually doing something stupid at those times. FWD Turbo for me.
Sponsored

Hiho 11

First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford escape. Se
Just curious if anyone else ordered the 2.0 EB engine WITHOUT getting AWD?

Initially, I was going to order the hybrid engine but opted for the 2.0 instead. Don't really need AWD in Florida, and the one AWD vehicle I had was when I lived in upstate NY. Having said that, some decent all weather and/or snow tires usually did the trick with all of my FWD vehicles.

Opted to not get the upgraded FX4/tow package as well. Don't need it, and if/when I ever get around to towing something, even though I opted to get the hitch installed. Better to have it and not need it, just in case.

Anyone else go this route? What was your logic in not getting AWD?

*** As an edit, when at the dealership placing my order, it was almost like the salesman was pushing for me to get the AWD as part of my XL package, maybe "just in case" I decided to not take possession of my order. Better resale, perhaps? Or an excuse for ADM? Any thoughts on this?
I went with EB because of cat transmissionand no problems with ford escape in winter time

Hiho 11

First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford escape. Se
I went with EB because of cvt transmission and don t have any trouble with front wheel drive in winter.

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Do those of you who went FWD feel like you were more likely to (or DID you) get your rides sooner than if you had gone AWD? I havenā€™t been scheduled in 3 months so far. It wouldnā€™t be a big deal for me to change my order. Since I havenā€™t been scheduled yet, itā€™s my understanding that it doesnā€™t effect my position in line.

Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan to. I saw the underside of the AWD model and it immediately turned me off it. The power transfer unit, multipiece driveshaft, clusterf*** of a rear suspension, etc is all just awful looking. I dont trust any of it.

Im going to go FWD, ecoboost XL I think. Super super simple and more reliable than what the AWD systems Ford makes will be.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
We originally went with a FWD EB but in mid August Ford forced us to change our order and place a new one that was AWD.

Gary33031

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick On order
šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļøWe just ordered ours 2 days ago, and also originally wanted hybrid, but we waited to long and it was not an option any longer.
We live in MA, but honestly, the roads are usually taking care of, and we don't need AWD.
We opted to get the FWD, to save money. We added the hitch receiver, carpet with floor mats, and spray in bedline.
Now we wait ā³
I just ordered a EB FWD Cactus Gray Lariat today. Were you given an estimate of when your build should start and be finished? I wasnā€˜t given any estimates.

FESTUS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We opted for the 2.0 EB without AWD because it dosent really do any thing to help on slick roads. i live in indiana and always had front wheel drive and havent had any problems with it

Michele'sMav

First Name
Michele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I just ordered a EB FWD Cactus Gray Lariat today. Were you given an estimate of when your build should start and be finished? I wasnā€˜t given any estimates.
Well, saleslady said usually 10-12 weeks for build and delivery, but due to covid and high demand that they are being told to say up to 20wks. Then yesterday I got the email with build date, of 1/31. We were told by dealership to expect delivery approx 6 wks after build date.
Order date was 6 days ago 11/27 šŸ˜

Sponsored

M.A.C.

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation
After ordering two Hybrids in July, one for my son and the other one for myself, my local dealer called about 6 weeks ago and said he had a few Maverickā€™s in and we could test drive them. They all were sold but he would let my son take a short test drive.

FWD ECO XLT, well the test drive put a grin on his face and he turned to me and said ā€œI would be Ok with this truckā€, I said itā€™s already sold, then the salesman turn and said actually it isnā€™t, they just called and canceled. I donā€™t know if it was a setup or not but whatever, it just worked out. We are in South Floida and the truck was perfect for my son.

The truck has plenty of power and is getting 30.5 miles per gallon, we couldnā€™t be happier with the truck.

geezerFWD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Mazda 6
Ordered XL, Cactus Grey, EB, FWD, hitch, full size spare. Decided I could do without AWD. Also could not justify the AWD cost, even for better rear suspension. Not scheduled yet.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We opted for the 2.0 EB without AWD because it dosent really do any thing to help on slick roads. i live in indiana and always had front wheel drive and havent had any problems with it

The only thing that gives more traction on slick roads is better tires and careful driving. Last time I got stuck driving in heavy snow was after a snap storm that left a foot in 2 hours. The ditches on the side of the highway were full of 4wd and AWD vehicles that had blown past us earlier then skidded off the road. It can keep you from getting stuck, but once you are sliding all bets are off.

Surfpapi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Just curious if anyone else ordered the 2.0 EB engine WITHOUT getting AWD?

Initially, I was going to order the hybrid engine but opted for the 2.0 instead. Don't really need AWD in Florida, and the one AWD vehicle I had was when I lived in upstate NY. Having said that, some decent all weather and/or snow tires usually did the trick with all of my FWD vehicles.

Opted to not get the upgraded FX4/tow package as well. Don't need it, and if/when I ever get around to towing something, even though I opted to get the hitch installed. Better to have it and not need it, just in case.

Anyone else go this route? What was your logic in not getting AWD?

*** As an edit, when at the dealership placing my order, it was almost like the salesman was pushing for me to get the AWD as part of my XL package, maybe "just in case" I decided to not take possession of my order. Better resale, perhaps? Or an excuse for ADM? Any thoughts on this?
I did the same thing; no need for AWD in Florida, at least for my purposes. I ordered a moon roof instead of putting $800 into a FX4 package.