Another UTE available?

Wiz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hot Pepper Red with BAP on order.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In another thread there is a discussion if the Maverick is a UTE or a pickup.
For anyone who needs a UTE to hold them until they get finally get your Maverick, you can build one of these for less than 10K donor vehicle included.
https://www.smythkitcars.com/
Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That kit car "option" seems like suggesting that someone that needs a vehicle use roller skates, because they technically get you places too.

That kit has no vehicle options as far as I could see that were available with a hybrid drivetrain, nor can any tow at least 2,000 pounds, or bear a payload of 1,500 pounds, or seat 5 adults comfortably, etc.

Since the hybrid Maverick is most popular drivetrain by far and away, it is the one to beat with alternatives.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That kit car "option" seems like suggesting that someone that needs a vehicle use roller skates, because they technically get you places too.

That kit has no vehicle options as far as I could see that were available with a hybrid drivetrain, nor can any tow at least 2,000 pounds, or bear a payload of 1,500 pounds, or seat 5 adults comfortably, etc.

Since the hybrid Maverick is most popular drivetrain by far and away, it is the one to beat with alternatives.
The Jeep WJ model would surely hit 1500lbs with the weight reduction, tow 6500 lbs, Probably seat 3 with a bench seat conversion. Also come with a V8 and solid axles. Would go anywhere you point it, swiftly.

No hybrid but I'm not really here for hybrids.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Jeep WJ model would surely hit 1500lbs with the weight reduction, tow 6500 lbs, Probably seat 3 with a bench seat conversion. Also come with a V8 and solid axles. Would go anywhere you point it, swiftly.

No hybrid but I'm not really here for hybrids.
The vehicle you defined isn't a hybrid, and thus fails the comparison.

I know you're not here for hybrids, but I also didn't say "unless you're Maverickman74". The overall order stats show that the hybrid powertrain for the Maverick is MUCH more popular than the gas-only version, so that is the mark to meet.

I am well aware of why a hybrid doesn't work for you specifically, but that doesn't change the fact that you chose the less popular powertrain, despite your use case for it.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The vehicle you defined isn't a hybrid, and thus fails the comparison.

I know you're not here for hybrids, but I also didn't say "unless you're Maverickman74". The overall order stats show that the hybrid powertrain for the Maverick is MUCH more popular than the gas-only version, so that is the mark to meet.

I am well aware of why a hybrid doesn't work for you specifically, but that doesn't change the fact that you chose the less popular powertrain, despite your use case for it.
Im just a anti-establishment product of the 80s and 90s lol! Give me something unpopular and I will tell ya how cool it is. One thing though even though it isnt a hybrid the VW version if a diesel could return hybrid like mpg (even if they are lying about its emissions). Still for people that dont want a bloated big truck but want capability building something like this for probably under $20k is kinda cool. Even if it doesnt meet your hybrid standards. Also why the hell arent companies making mild hybrid AWD retro fit kits for FWD cars. Big alternator, small (but energy dense)battery, auto stop/start tech, throttle control, and a wheel hub motor and boom 25% mpg increase atleast. Sell that for $10k then add this UTE kit for $10k and boom take any $5k used car you want and build you a AWD hybrid for $30k! Somebody start me a go fund me so I make your dreams come true!

Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Im just a anti-establishment product of the 80s and 90s lol! Give me something unpopular and I will tell ya how cool it is. One thing though even though it isnt a hybrid the VW version if a diesel could return hybrid like mpg (even if they are lying about its emissions). Still for people that dont want a bloated big truck but want capability building something like this for probably under $20k is kinda cool. Even if it doesnt meet your hybrid standards. Also why the hell arent companies making mild hybrid AWD retro fit kits for FWD cars. Big alternator, small (but energy dense)battery, auto stop/start tech, throttle control, and a wheel hub motor and boom 25% mpg increase atleast. Sell that for $10k then add this UTE kit for $10k and boom take any $5k used car you want and build you a AWD hybrid for $30k! Somebody start me a go fund me so I make your dreams come true!
Or they could just buy a Chevy Trax or Colorado, or an old Ranger or S-10.

If they're not in the market for even light truck capabilities, then why are they even in this forum?

I'm here because a Maverick meets my needs, and importantly, any other vehicle would not meet at least some of these needs.

- It can haul my weight and the weight of my chair.
- It can easily accept a bed-mounted power wheelchair lift for a chair that could potentially weigh 400 pounds unloaded. (Won't know an exact number until they ship it, maybe next month?)
- It can tow a travel trailer. (I already have some ultra-lightweight options in mind)
- It gets hybrid fuel mileage, and has hybrid abilities, such as running the air conditioner all night on a gallon of fuel or less, if called for. It can also function as a big rolling generator with some DIY skills, as people have done with Prii and 1kW inverters connected to their 12V batteries, while the car is on.
- It will have a factory warranty.

It can do all these things at the same time (minus generator, if driving) without exceeding its GVWR or my budget, even with all the optional equipment.

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Or they could just buy a Chevy Trax or Colorado, or an old Ranger or S-10.

If they're not in the market for even light truck capabilities, then why are they even in this forum?

I'm here because a Maverick meets my needs, and importantly, any other vehicle would not meet at least some of these needs.

- It can haul my weight and the weight of my chair.
- It can easily accept a bed-mounted power wheelchair lift for a chair that could potentially weigh 400 pounds unloaded. (Won't know an exact number until they ship it, maybe next month?)
- It can tow a travel trailer. (I already have some ultra-lightweight options in mind)
- It gets hybrid fuel mileage, and has hybrid abilities, such as running the air conditioner all night on a gallon of fuel or less, if called for. It can also function as a big rolling generator with some DIY skills, as people have done with Prii and 1kW inverters connected to their 12V batteries, while the car is on.
- It will have a factory warranty.

It can do all these things at the same time (minus generator, if driving) without exceeding its GVWR or my budget, even with all the optional equipment.
Im just saying its cool. Alot of people have specific cars that they really love, like me with older solid axle jeeps. Our Tremor Maverick will have its purpose as out warrantied fuel miser(yeah its a fuel miser compared to any other decent 4x4 truck), but I will still have my solid axle jeeps for real wheeling work that I do. I also have to have a classic so I have a 1980 Eagle, I also need a HD vehicle so I have 96 Bronco, which is heavy duty enough.

One other thing about these kits given your particular situation is that since you are cutting the back off an SUV or car and putting a bed and bulkhead in it. Someone could work with the manufacturer/installer to put a door in that bulkhead. Outside of some of these new EV trucks and the old Avalanche there isnt much(outside of vans) that has the ability to wheel yourself up into the bed( on a modified tailgate ramp) open the mid door and slip into the drivers seat. That would be pretty slick if you ask me.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hot Pepper Red with BAP on order.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The kit isn't an alternative to a Maverick, but it could be a fun project for someone while they are waiting.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The kit isn't an alternative to a Maverick, but it could be a fun project for someone while they are waiting.

So can Legos, but "A fun project while waiting"seems to be a hell of a stretch.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: Wiz