First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a little sick if hearing the "it's not a truck" "it is a truck" "it's a trucklette" argument.

In Australia they have a category of automobile called "ute," which is short for utility. It's essentially a vehicle with a car frame and a bed. (Sounds like a Maverick to me)

It's this what we should be calling the Mav? Do the Aussies have it right? (I like ute a whole lot better than trucklette)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ute_(vehicle)
Sponsored

JanTheSexyVektan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw a lot of Ford and Holden utes there when I was working in Darwin. I couldn't get enough of them - they seem perfect. I mean, I think we'll still just call the Mav a truck, but I wouldn't complain with ute.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw a lot of Ford and Holden utes there when I was working in Darwin. I couldn't get enough of them - they seem perfect. I mean, I think we'll still just call the Mav a truck, but I wouldn't complain with ute.
I'm mainly trying to get away from trucklette. 🤢

If you don't want to call it a truck, fine. Let's not call it a sports activity vehicle 🙄, let's go with ute. 👍👍

sickser66

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I'm mainly trying to get away from trucklette. 🤢

If you don't want to call it a truck, fine. Let's not call it a sports activity vehicle 🙄, let's go with ute. 👍👍
Don’t worry. The only guys calling it a “trucklette” are the ones driving $80,000 bro-dozers with $40,000 worth of useless “mods” trying to keep up with the Instagram flat brim cap crowd. The Mav can do 90% of what they use their status symbols for at 1/4 the price.

Sponsored

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Meh. Don’t care. Call it whatever. I love it, my wife likes it, my kids love it, it does everything I need it to do.

I’ve already been stared at by some of the lifted truck crowd.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I like Ute, I think it describes a car truck more than a small truck though. For example the Santa Cruze looks like a Ute to me but the EB Maverick is similar on paper and I feel like it is a truck. I think this is 90% down to styling.

When I think Ute I think twin turbo v8 Pontiacs hahaha

Ncretekos

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Atlas
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a little sick if hearing the "it's not a truck" "it is a truck" "it's a trucklette" argument.

In Australia they have a category of automobile called "ute," which is short for utility. It's essentially a vehicle with a car frame and a bed. (Sounds like a Maverick to me)

It's this what we should be calling the Mav? Do the Aussies have it right? (I like ute a whole lot better than trucklette)

I’ve been calling mine a Ute since I ordered it, and I still don’t understand why they didn’t call it a Ranchero because that’s what it is, Maverick was a car.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Ute" seems to be a pretty broad term down under.

A friend of mine lives on what he laughingly calls a "lifestyle property" on the coast about halfway between Sydney and Melbourne. Sort of a "gentleman's ranch" with a few horses, an orchard, and an excess of kangaroo.

He called his pickup a "ute," sure... but he also called his Toyota Land Cruiser a "ute."

When I told him I was buying a Maverick, he had never heard of it. He did a quick Google and said, "Oh... you're buying a ute. Good on ya."

Last edited:

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I call mine George, she's velocity blue, FX4, 4K and fond of her luxury package. Ute or Truck, I don't care - retired.

Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Ute" seems to be a pretty broad term down under.

A friend of mine lives on what he laughingly calls a "lifestyle property" on the coast about halfway between Sydney and Melbourne. Sort of a "gentleman's ranch" with a few horses, an orchard, and an excess of kangaroo.

It called his pickup a "ute," sure... but he also called his Toyota Land Cruiser a "ute."

When I told him I was buying a Maverick, he had never heard of it. He did a quick Google and said, "Oh... you're buying a ute. Good on ya."
Yeah, even the RANGER is referred to as a Ute down under.

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Ford Maverick "Ute" Do the Aussies have it right? two-yutes

Shawshi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MKX, 1980 F150, 2002 Firebird, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The main reason why I was initially drawn to the Maverick is that it looks like a truck. If it looks like a truck, acts like a truck, feels like a truck then it's a truck.

Don't take that away from me :)

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it looks like a truck, acts like a truck, feels like a truck...

I think that's still up for debate. 🤣 Can we all agree against "trucklette," though?

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just always revert back to calling it a pickup, at least to me growing up a pickup was always a smaller vehicle with a truck bed. In my family at least it wasn’t referred to as just a truck until you got up to something like a 1/2 ton
Sponsored