Sponsored

All trucks (including Maverick) in California get a commercial registration!

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our state thinks that anyone with a pickup truck is a possible tax evader gardener that makes millions a year mowing lawns.
Sponsored

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah it doesn’t matter to me for the difference. I just think it’s funny that it’s a commercial vehicle.
Every state that I've lived in does that for any vehicle with a bed. Silly in my opinion.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is Wisconsin, they issue mostly A plates 4500lb gvw & B plates 6000lb gvw. I see many full size trucks with A plates that are over the weight limit with just the driver, but they don't do anything about it because the cost($100) for both plates are the same. I will most likely never put 1500lb in the box, but I opted for the B plates for my Maverick.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually the windshield sticker is evidence that you have the registration (the paper that the windshield sticker came on which has owners name and VIN number, I believe) in his possession (give box). Texas does not ask or require or ask for it because it and insurance information is accessable to them online. Anytime you are out of state it is BEST and probably REQUIRED to present the registration as they need to prove the sticker was not stolen. If vehicle is out of state registration without proof of inspection can be done online/telephone by certifying vehicle is out of state so it can wear a current sticker. When vehicle returns to Texas it needs to be inspected within 3 days (keep gas receipts or other proof of those three days in case). If you buy a vehicle out of state and pay sales tax keep record of that and Texas will only charge tax on any amount that Texas sales tax is more. While you are out of state the vehicle can be registered with "for registration purpose only" status without surrendering the title until you return. I am disabled veteran and heartily thank your son for his service.

I thought he meant he just drove there in his Texas registered truck and was pulled over. Reciprocity among the states must be followed. All states must honor out of state registrations and inspections criteria.

Ohio doesn't have inspections. I can legally drive my vehicles in states with inspections and has to honor that.

Ford Maverick All trucks (including Maverick) in California get a commercial registration! 20220504_152623

In Ohio, luckily our fees are fairly cheap. Every municipality is allowed to add a fee (the $15) and most do. But $46 to register my truck AND no annual inspections. Say what you will about Ohio but you'll never hear an Ohioan complain about the cost to live here.

First Name
Vicki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can avoid the extra charge if you get Handicapped plates; then it is waived, but not retroactively.

Sponsored

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You can avoid the extra charge if you get Handicapped plates; then it is waived, but not retroactively.
True but you have to fill out a form at the DMV after you take delivery. So you pay the first year and it can’t be done anywhere else but the DMV. Also you can only do it one vehicle so if you owned 2 or more trucks only one can be waived.

MaverIQ

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
this being my first truck, i did not know this! other than the increased registration costs and some apparent parking privileges, anything else a new cali truck owner should be aware of in regards to this?

ladyhawkgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Seriously.....you were going to do that? All you need to do is look around and see that every pickup truck in the state has commercial registration (6 numbers and 1 letter) in the license plate sequence.

3 Letters + 4 Numbers = Passenger Registration
1 Letter + 6 Numbers = Commercial Registration

EASY PEASY!!

(Specialty, Vanity, & Black Legacy plates do not conform to this)
so if i opt for a legacy plate, not custom, will it still be a commercial plate?

MrKombi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
so if i opt for a legacy plate, not custom, will it still be a commercial plate?
Non-custom legacy black plates are issued the same sequence regardless if they are going on a passenger vehicle or commercial vehicle.......so there is no such thing as a "commercial plate" or "passenger plate" for the legacy plates. You will have either "commercial registration" or "passenger registration" depending on which vehicle the plate is assigned.

Ford Maverick = commercial registration

Sponsored

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Today I received my license plate and was surprised to see that the registration was commercial. After some research I found out that all trucks in CA get the commercial registration. It is kind of weird and doesn't make much sense to me but I guess that is the way it is here in the golden state.....
Yup its a 1/3 ton rated truck. For the weight

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Non-custom legacy black plates are issued the same sequence regardless if they are going on a passenger vehicle or commercial vehicle.......so there is no such thing as a "commercial plate" or "passenger plate" for the legacy plates. You will have either "commercial registration" or "passenger registration" depending on which vehicle the plate is assigned.

Ford Maverick = commercial registration
Yes, the only way around that is to permanently attach an camper shell to it. Go to the DMV and then change the registration to an auto. Then the weight fee will get removed and you will get an auto plate. Example [CA/1MTC123] 4 numbers three letters non specialized plates. And if you haveva special plate then the weight fee will be removed. That includes disabled and veterans.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here is Wisconsin, they issue mostly A plates 4500lb gvw & B plates 6000lb gvw. I see many full size trucks with A plates that are over the weight limit with just the driver, but they don't do anything about it because the cost($100) for both plates are the same. I will most likely never put 1500lb in the box, but I opted for the B plates for my Maverick.
4 200# people in the cab would put you at 4,500# with an empty bed.

Dman07

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry I used the wrong verbiage. When I said a topper, I meant like a camper shell.
Is it? MSRP on my Mav order is around $31K and first year registration will be around $535. That's 2.8% of 60% of the car's value + $13.50 in other fees. This is in AZ.
My first year registration came out to $457 for the XLT hybrid lux package.
Sponsored