First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan XTerra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As the 4K tow package comes with a seven pin trailer connector, has there been any mention of brake controllers?

It seems like they're so close to supporting them, it'd be nice to have it as an option to avoid having to install one. I have a 6x12 utility trailer with e-brakes and I'd happily pay for something integrated into the system.
Sponsored

OP
OP

LaserGecko

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan XTerra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks!

It seems like they'd want to list that as a line item in the package description.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Meanwhile the Santa Cruz is now confirmed to not even come with a hitch from the factory, and its a dealer installed accessory. Oof...

Sponsored

OP
OP

LaserGecko

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan XTerra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks, everyone.

I now see that it is the last line item on the package. I must have missed that on my phone or something. Very glad that I won't have to worry about wiring one up.

For $745, it's a no-brainer for all that stuff.

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does anyone know if the trailer brake controller can be added after purchase? I presume it can but curious if anyone knows for sure. I’ve ordered the XLT Hybrid with luxury package, which comes with hitch and 4 pin connector. I have a little teardrop camper that weighs about 900 lbs, so no need for the 4K towing package, but the camper actually has brakes, I think because they expect things like Subarus and mini vans with lower towing capacity to be towing it. I could get an after market controller but would prefer factory if possible. I’ll also have to upgrade to a 7 pin connector for the brakes.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will have to see if you have the 7-pin plug wiring to the bumper.

I'm guessing that you will not. If you do, it looks like the brake controller has a bezel it sits in and it would have to be activated in Forscan.

With a 2,000 pound towing limit, will you tow anything with electric brakes?

Autonomous

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Promaster 3500, Icky 2015 Outback
Not just the 2,000# limit. The tow package allows a 40 square foot frontal area and the non tow package has a 20 square foot limit.

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You will have to see if you have the 7-pin plug wiring to the bumper.

I'm guessing that you will not. If you do, it looks like the brake controller has a bezel it sits in and it would have to be activated in Forscan.

With a 2,000 pound towing limit, will you tow anything with electric brakes?
Thanks. See my original post about what I’m towing. :)

Sponsored

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not just the 2,000# limit. The tow package allows a 40 square foot frontal area and the non tow package has a 20 square foot limit.
I’m presuming the frontal area has something to do with the amount of drag created by the object being towed? If so, I’ll be towing a teardrop camper. The roof will stick up maybe 2 or 3 inches above the Maverick. I’m guessing that will still work the 20sf frontal limit. Pic attached of my camper with current Tacoma for reference.

Ford Maverick 4K Tow Package and Brake Controller 2CC53054-3916-43DA-AC2E-ACDC5B808311

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe someone with a FWD XL or XLT will check on the wiring.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know if the trailer brake controller can be added after purchase? I presume it can but curious if anyone knows for sure. I’ve ordered the XLT Hybrid with luxury package, which comes with hitch and 4 pin connector. I have a little teardrop camper that weighs about 900 lbs, so no need for the 4K towing package, but the camper actually has brakes, I think because they expect things like Subarus and mini vans with lower towing capacity to be towing it. I could get an after market controller but would prefer factory if possible. I’ll also have to upgrade to a 7 pin connector for the brakes.
I have recently seen where Curt announced a 7 pin brake controller that plugs into a seven pin female plug and has a female plug for trailer to plug into that can be controlled through an app with wifi/Bluetooth. Several trailers can be set up and be selected through app to match trailers to vehicles. Think it was 5-7" long. I do not remember if it could plug into a 4pin with stand alone hot wire for the charging circuit output pin. But may want to check it out.

Jeffr4JC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Fx4 w/4k tow in Carbonized Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As the 4K tow package comes with a seven pin trailer connector, has there been any mention of brake controllers?

It seems like they're so close to supporting them, it'd be nice to have it as an option to avoid having to install one. I have a 6x12 utility trailer with e-brakes and I'd happily pay for something integrated into the system.
I have a '22 2.0 EB Lariat with 4k tow. The 4k tow package comes with an integrated trailer brake controller. I tow my 3,900# camper with it all the time.
Sponsored