First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First time in this position. I’ve seriously considered a base Maverick hybrid as a good choice for my daughters first vehicle. She is not opposed as long as we can raise it a little and slightly bigger tires(as of now). Financially it’s not too expensive, reliable and has a warranty. Have a year and a half until that date. Maybe a year. I’m not going to let her have some old junker regardless. Something close to equal used would be near that price.
Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
A new car was the best feeling when I was in high school. The worst feeling was backing into a car at school within a week of having the car. Not to mention my level of care was lacking big time.

In hindsight my parents were right, I didn't respect something nice because as much as I loved it, I was lacking context for just how meaningful a car is in the US. You must have a vehicle in most areas and when you're broke you understand how much of a blessing it is not to have a car payment.

All this is to say that I would've been sad not getting a new car, friends would've made fun of it, but I also wouldn't be losing that much if I ruined it. Just food for thought. I'm not saying to get a total beater just because of safety reasons, but I think everyone would've been better served if we had gotten a used car. The Mav is the perfect first car, '22 hybrids can't be ordered anymore though

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First time in this position. I’ve seriously considered a base Maverick hybrid as a good choice for my daughters first vehicle. She is not opposed as long as we can raise it a little and slightly bigger tires(as of now). Financially it’s not too expensive, reliable and has a warranty. Have a year and a half until that date. Maybe a year. I’m not going to let her have some old junker regardless. Something close to equal used would be near that price.
You mention the warranty. If you lift it and put on tires bigger than stock you are opening yourself to the possibility that your warranty will be invalidated. Maybe not, but it's a possibility.

I think it's a great vehicle for a young person.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A new car was the best feeling when I was in high school. The worst feeling was backing into a car at school within a week of having the car. Not to mention my level of care was lacking big time.

In hindsight my parents were right, I didn't respect something nice because as much as I loved it, I was lacking context for just how meaningful a car is in the US. You must have a vehicle in most areas and when you're broke you understand how much of a blessing it is not to have a car payment.

All this is to say that I would've been sad not getting a new car, friends would've made fun of it, but I also wouldn't be losing that much if I ruined it. Just food for thought. I'm not saying to get a total beater just because of safety reasons, but I think everyone would've been better served if we had gotten a used car. The Mav is the perfect first car, '22 hybrids can't be ordered anymore though
I never had a new car until I was 56 y.o. I always bought a car that was 1 or 2 years used. Price was better for financing. Never could afford a new vehicle unless I leased or now because of the Maverick.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will she respect it? Do you have the funding for both the vehicle and college? When I was 16 my car went through the ringer and only cost me $1k. I know you want to take care of her. Why does she need to lift it and get bigger tires? Will she be paying for any of it? Do you secretly want the truck but “buying it for her” to have one?

Sponsored

JUrban

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Stinger, '14 F-Type, '09 G8 GXP, '22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking at how much a base Civic/Corolla costs and how nuts the used market is right now, a new XL or XLT hybrid is a ridiculously good deal.

OP
OP

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lifting it a little is just her first thoughts because the boys have lifted trucks. If it were lifted maybe 2 inches tops. Will try to talk her out of it. Don’t think warranty will be affected with electrical, ac or engine with a size bigger tires. She is very careful with her possessions. Never broken a phone or tablet. So as dents may happen. It won’t be from lack of care. This is a good straight A college bound kid who focuses heavily on school. She wanted a jeep. But I don’t consider those safe. Not to mention pricey even used. And not very practical. I think the MAV just keeps hitting reasons for being a hit.

OP
OP

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will she respect it? Do you have the funding for both the vehicle and college? When I was 16 my car went through the ringer and only cost me $1k. I know you want to take care of her. Why does she need to lift it and get bigger tires? Will she be paying for any of it? Do you secretly want the truck but “buying it for her” to have one?
She will. Already paying for college and she has money plus family help. She has been planning for a vehicle. She doesn’t need to lift. Just a kid with ideas. I don’t want it for me as I have one.

KRae

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kareena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki SX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You know your daughter best, if she is responsible than this will be a vehicle she will be happy with and that you all will be happy with too. If her brothers have lifted trucks I can see how she would want one.

Personally I feel like our first cars should be junkers to teach character haha. My first car was a 1998 grand am. It had style, but it also had a safety feature where it thought it was being stolen so sometimes I had to sit with the key in the on position for 15 minutes before it would start 😂. Now I am so thankful every day for a car that starts.

But I am totally just bitter that dad couldnt buy me a new truck at 16. If he had, I was very responsible and would have rrally taken care of it. Now I can finally afford one at 31 and you know I am gonna take excellent care of it!

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
She will. Already paying for college and she has money plus family help. She has been planning for a vehicle. She doesn’t need to lift. Just a kid with ideas. I don’t want it for me as I have one.
Sounds like a good choice for her. The hybrid has a nice long warranty so it should be great to get her through college. I assume the 2023 models will be around $1k more but that shouldn’t be a deal breaker. Keep on this forum so you can get your order in for a 23 as soon as the books open.

Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Lifting it a little is just her first thoughts because the boys have lifted trucks. If it were lifted maybe 2 inches tops. Will try to talk her out of it. Don’t think warranty will be affected with electrical, ac or engine with a size bigger tires. She is very careful with her possessions. Never broken a phone or tablet. So as dents may happen. It won’t be from lack of care. This is a good straight A college bound kid who focuses heavily on school. She wanted a jeep. But I don’t consider those safe. Not to mention pricey even used. And not very practical. I think the MAV just keeps hitting reasons for being a hit.
It's a great car. Not trying to tell people how to parent but I too was a straight A college bound kid. I made some bad choices and I don't expect your kid to be like me but at the same time it would've saved so much grief being a used car.

That said it's a hell of a lot safer and better value than a wrangler. Chicks dig Wranglers I've never understood it. They aren't even terribly reliable not to mention it's expensive. The car is so low that a 2" lift and some bigger tires do wonders for it. Maybe consider the fender flares to appease the aesthetic?

jbpoole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Engine
Undecided
Sounds like she has her life together and very likely has a good plan for herself.

Get her the Maverick. It's economical, practical and safe (especially with the 360 option). Make sure you schedule some daddy/daughter time by throwing the fishing poles, camping gear or sports equipment in the back. Her memories of you spending time with her will outlast those of the brand new truck you bought her.
Sponsored