First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been thinking, recently, about the logic behind Ford's Maverick Marketing vs Ford's willingness and ability to produce hybrid Mavericks. A lot of this is pretty obvious when you think about it, but the Maverick marketing materials emphasized the “standard hybrid powertrain,” which is (as far as we know) what most Maverick customer’s want.

Ford has referenced the target buyer as being young (under-40) and living in an urban environment. According to one article (millennials and auto trends report), some 36% of millennials, and some 26% of all U.S. car buyers have a preference for hybrid, electric, and/or plug-in electric vehicles (as of 2018, anyway). This correlates pretty strongly with Ford’s target production mix-- 35% hybrid and 65% EcoBoost.

In 2020, 454,900 HEV’s were sold in the U.S, along with 306,300 PHEV’s. (EDIT, per
Falcon first) Total U.S. vehicle sales are in excess of 14,000,000/yr. This would put the total HEV/PHEV market share at roughly 5.4% of new car sales in 2020 (3.2% hybrid and 2.2% electric).

I wasn’t able to find Ford sales/production statistics for hybrid vs traditional gasoline. However, I’ve been studying the car/truck/SUV market since early 2021, and my personal experience is hybrid trims of existing SUVs, cars, and trucks, are few and far between.

For example, while I was watching the local market for hybrid CRVs, Rav4s, and Tuscons, I rarely saw more than a 2 in 10 hybrid models on lots around Columbus, OH. When I’m driving on the road, the vast majority of hybrids, EVs, and PHEVs, I see are specialized stand-alone models (Prius, Insight, CMax, Volt, Tesla, etc). The proportion of hybrid versions of gasoline models (Tuscon, Rav4, Camry, Civic, Crosstrek, etc) on roads, and on car lots are pretty rare. My guess is hybrid and phev trims represent less than 10% of production/sales for these models. Generally speaking, the hybrid trims, with one exception (the Maverick), are offered towards the upper end of the pricing structure. On top of that, it’s pretty obvious global shortages and supply chain issues related to the pandemic are widespread, impacting ever major manufacturer of whom I’m aware.

So, when it gets down to it, the 35% overall production and sales goal for the Maverick is ambitious. It is also an indicator (IMO) of Ford’s push to increase its hybrid and electric vehicle market share. The fact that demand for the hybrid Maverick is well in excess of Fords production goals means we hybrid buyers are going to have to wait. BUT, if the rest of the industry follows Fords lead, we could be in for a rapid uptick in the hybrid powertrains offered by other manufacturers.

Overall, I feel a little less bamboozled by Ford’s marketing campaign and overall production goals for the Maverick. I also feel like Ford did not necessarily blunder in underestimating the demand for a FWD hybrid pickup truck. I think available data backed-up their decision. When you consider the production timeline for the vehicle, they were working off of 2-3 year old data, and it seems apparent the demand for hybrids and/or a vehicle with the kind of versatility and fuel economy of the Maverick.

Moving forward into the realm of pure speculation in the realms of psychology, sociology, and changing socioeconomic factors…I think COVID has forced a change in consumer demand priorities that has not yet settled-out. I have ZERO idea if I am correct here, but it stands to reason people who have lived through a pandemic and social unrest we’re experiencing are going have a shift in priorities when it comes to what they buy and how.

https://www.duffandphelps.com/insig...f-hybrid-electric-vehicles-poised-to-increase

https://www.acea.auto/fuel-pc/fuel-...11-9-petrol-47-5-market-share-full-year-2020/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...et-slow-growth-in-u-s-faster-in-china-europe/

https://www.bts.gov/data-spotlight/electric-vehicle-use-grows

https://www.statista.com/statistics/199974/us-car-sales-since-1951/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40040...t-in-q1-thanks-to-f-150-hybrid-mustang-mach-e
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boone1972

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tahoe
I've been thinking, recently, about the logic behind Ford's Maverick Marketing vs Ford's willingness and ability to produce hybrid Mavericks. A lot of this is pretty obvious when you think about it, but the Maverick marketing materials emphasized the “standard hybrid powertrain,” which is (as far as we know) what most Maverick customer’s want.

Ford has referenced the target buyer as being young (under-40) and living in an urban environment. According to one article (millennials and auto trends report), some 36% of millennials, and some 26% of all U.S. car buyers have a preference for hybrid, electric, and/or plug-in electric vehicles (as of 2018, anyway). This correlates pretty strongly with Ford’s target production mix-- 35% hybrid and 65% EcoBoost.

In 2020, 454,900 HEV’s were sold in the U.S, along with 306,300 PHEV’s. 2020 was an off year when it comes to car sales (among other things), but I found one source indicating U.S. vehicle sales were at about 3,401,800 in 2020. This would put the total HEV/PHEV market share at roughly 22.4% of new car sales in 2020. So, Ford’s target production #’s are higher than at least one estimate of market demand for 2020, and in step with estimated demand among its target demographic.

I wasn’t able to find Ford sales/production statistics for hybrid vs traditional gasoline. However, I’ve been studying the car/truck/SUV market since early 2021, and my personal experience is hybrid trims of existing SUVs, cars, and trucks, are few and far between.

For example, while I was watching the local market for hybrid CRVs, Rav4s, and Tuscons, I rarely saw more than a 2 in 10 hybrid models on lots around Columbus, OH. When I’m driving on the road, the vast majority of hybrids, EVs, and PHEVs, I see are specialized stand-alone models (Prius, Insight, CMax, Volt, Tesla, etc). The proportion of hybrid versions of gasoline models (Tuscon, Rav4, Camry, Civic, Crosstrek, etc) on roads, and on car lots are pretty rare. My guess is hybrid and phev trims represent less than 10% of production/sales for these models. Generally speaking, the hybrid trims, with one exception (the Maverick), are offered towards the upper end of the pricing structure. On top of that, it’s pretty obvious global shortages and supply chain issues related to the pandemic are widespread, impacting ever major manufacturer of whom I’m aware.

So, when it gets down to it, the 35% overall production and sales goal for the Maverick is ambitious. It is also an indicator (IMO) of Ford’s push to increase its hybrid and electric vehicle market share. The fact that demand for the hybrid Maverick is well in excess of Fords production goals means we hybrid buyers are going to have to wait. BUT, if the rest of the industry follows Fords lead, we could be in for a rapid uptick in the hybrid powertrains offered by other manufacturers.

Overall, I feel a little less bamboozled by Ford’s marketing campaign and overall production goals for the Maverick. I also feel like Ford did not necessarily blunder in underestimating the demand for a FWD hybrid pickup truck. I think available data backed-up their decision. When you consider the production timeline for the vehicle, they were working off of 2-3 year old data, and it seems apparent the demand for hybrids and/or a vehicle with the kind of versatility and fuel economy of the Maverick.

Moving forward into the realm of pure speculation in the realms of psychology, sociology, and changing socioeconomic factors…I think COVID has forced a change in consumer demand priorities that has not yet settled-out. I have ZERO idea if I am correct here, but it stands to reason people who have lived through a pandemic and social unrest we’re experiencing are going have a shift in priorities when it comes to what they buy and how.

https://www.duffandphelps.com/insig...f-hybrid-electric-vehicles-poised-to-increase

https://www.acea.auto/fuel-pc/fuel-...11-9-petrol-47-5-market-share-full-year-2020/

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...et-slow-growth-in-u-s-faster-in-china-europe/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40040...t-in-q1-thanks-to-f-150-hybrid-mustang-mach-e
I don't think they really thought most people would go for the hybrid. I'm 49 and this is the first time I've ever wanted a hybrid. And the only reason I want one is because of gas prices. And I know gas will only go up. so at almost 50 I'm going green. I also want a truck. But not a full size. So this is the only game in town right now.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think they really thought most people would go for the hybrid. I'm 49 and this is the first time I've ever wanted a hybrid. And the only reason I want one is because of gas prices. And I know gas will only go up. so at almost 50 I'm going green. I also want a truck. But not a full size. So this is the only game in town right now.
I agree with your assessment. I've wanted another truck for years, but was out of my price-range and they were just too big. Plus, I'm old and the thought of a hybrid scared me a bit. But just like brussels sprouts, you have to try them to find out if you like them.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

In 2020, 454,900 HEV’s were sold in the U.S, along with 306,300 PHEV’s. 2020 was an off year when it comes to car sales (among other things), but I found one source indicating U.S. vehicle sales were at about 3,401,800 in 2020. This would put the total HEV/PHEV market share at roughly 22.4% of new car sales in 2020. So, Ford’s target production #’s are higher than at least one estimate of market demand for 2020, and in step with estimated demand among its target demographic.

The only thing that kept me from a hybrid was the $10k premium on price. Maverick offers hybrid technology at Civic / Corolla prices. This is the thing that's held this platform back.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only thing that kept me from a hybrid was the $10k premium on price. Maverick offers hybrid technology at Civic / Corolla prices. This is the thing that's held this platform back.
This is me, as well. I would have gladly bought a Hybrid if the pricing structure were reversed. As it is, I will ONLY buy the hybrid in the Maverick pricing structure.

Sponsored

CuddleMuffin

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav XLT
Are you me?? Except I'm 33 and this seems like a slam dunk for replacing my civic and having something for small home repair stuff for my 2 rental properties.

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
US light vehicle sales are over 14 million so the calculations are way off. Ford alone usually sells over 800,000 F-150’s so the entire thread is incorrect. True electric vehicle sales in the US are tiny, something like 3%.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
US light vehicle sales are over 14 million so the calculations are way off. Ford alone usually sells over 800,000 F-150’s so the entire thread is incorrect. True electric vehicle sales in the US are tiny, something like 3%.

First, I updated the hybrid/electric proportion section with the info you provided (I'll source later).

Second, my total sales number was WAY off, but that doesn't mean the entire thread is wrong. You apparently didn't notice ("so, the entire thread is incorrect"), but the number of hybrids I referenced actually lines up with your 3% figure.

Your correction to the data actually adds to general theme of the post.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sandraerin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi my first entry in the forum. I am 60 years old and female. I have always driven Ford trucks. Heck, I remember when the F 150 was the size of the current Ranger. I own a 2019 Ranger. I am trading it for my new Maverick. At my age, I prefer the lower step in, and bed height. I opted for the 2.5 HEV for the mileage. I enjoy a bit of comfort so I am waiting for a 1st edition in Rapid Red. I ordered on 7, 14, 2021. Hopefully I will receive it before the 23 models are released.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi my first entry in the forum. I am 60 years old and female. I have always driven Ford trucks. Heck, I remember when the F 150 was the size of the current Ranger. I own a 2019 Ranger. I am trading it for my new Maverick. At my age, I prefer the lower step in, and bed height. I opted for the 2.5 HEV for the mileage. I enjoy a bit of comfort so I am waiting for a 1st edition in Rapid Red. I ordered on 7, 14, 2021. Hopefully I will receive it before the 23 models are released.
Congrats, hopefully that start turning out the Hybrid in a more rapid pace soon! I am also selling my 2019 Ranger - tonight in fact! Carmax offer is for $37,400...XLT, 4wd Crew with tech/fx4/tow. I won't believe it is true until the check is in hand (but I have 2 other local offers at/above $35k as well). Not sure when you picked yours up, but I got mine back at the end of 2019 when they were basically fire-saling the 2019 Rangers. I would've been over the moon breaking even after almost 2 years...but with that offer I'm making more than a few bucks, used car market is crazy!

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it is mostly a pricing thing. Hybrids have traditionally been priced at a premium, with the Maverick it is at a discount. Ergo, a much higher % of Hybrids ordered than other vehicles.

I know in my case I was looking into the Maverick prior to the announcement and prior to any knowledge that it would include a Hybrid variant. When they did the June 8th announcement along with the lower price for the Hybrid, I went for it, even though I would have traditionally looked for AWD/4WD. My rationale was (and is) that FWD plus snows was good enough, especially since I already have a 4WD "real truck" (F150).

If Ford had priced it differently, e.g. the eco-boost 2.0 as the base engine and the Hybrid with a 3k uplift, I would have likely gone 2.0 eco-boost + AWD and been happy with my selection, and "lived" with 30MPG highway vs 37 or 40 or whatever. I anticipate most of my driving will be mixed/secondary highway...I don't live in a city and most of my daily miles are not on interstates. I'm getting 20.5+ MPG on a 3.5L eco-boost today. I would estimate that my mixed driving would result in 26-28 MPG in the 2.0, which is certainly OK.

As it is, I am questioning waiting for the Hybrid, but at the same time not quite willing to change the order and spend considerable extra to get the 2.0L EB + AWD.

UncleDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fusion
Not sure how Ford was caught unaware by the popularity of the hybrid.

1. Hybrid was the standard offering.

2. the XL at $20,000 targets the younger buyers who are "more" green the older buyers.

3. I was looking at a Fusion hybrid, but put it off due to covid, Ford quit making sedans.

4. Hybrid buys have few choices from Ford, the Maverick seem best and cheapest way to go.

5. Oil hit a 8 year high today, gas prices will follow., fuel economy is a factor.

I am a 68 year old Ford retiree, worried more about gas prices that the environment, Maverick had all the features I was looking for and a reasonable price

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford is tilting towards the high price point/high margin builds when possible through the end of the year to pump the quarterly earnings as much as possible. Would explain why we're seeing so many lariat luxes and 2.0/fx4/4k package combos.
Sponsored