medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have never had a car/truck that didn't have a full size spare. I would think the spare tire housing is the same size for either tire (Full size or donut tire) Does anybody who has had a truck/suv that has donut spare know if this is the case?

If I order a Maverick it will be XL/AWD/4k towing and I am going to upgrade/customize it to fire road, off grid camping etc myself. If the housing is the same I can find a tire or rim at a junk yard from a wrecked Maverick/Bronco/Escape for less than $20 to use as my spare and upfit it if needed.
Sponsored

JVolpe

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beater truck
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a good question. I haven't seen any pics yet which answers this directly. But maybe someone can tell better from this Maverick spare tire image?

Ford Maverick Spare tire housing the same for either tire 2022 Ford Maverick Spare Tire Undercarriage Ford  Maverick XLT hybrid 16

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sometimes there is some metal casing to protect the tire from the heat of the exhaust of it runs near there. Typically it only comes into play if the car had 17s or something and you went to 20s and wanted a full size 20 inch rim under there, it wouldn't fit.

I think with the donut, there should be room to get a full size under there still. Hard to tell 100% until we see these things and you can look under there.

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
I cannot imagine that there would be a different mounting system for a donut. I would put a pretty hefty bet on the system working with full size spares and/or donuts.

Now the question I have is- if you get a hybrid or order the full size spare, will the spare be the same tire and size as is on the truck? I know it won't be the same wheel, but there could be a chance that it will be the same rim size and tire, but I have no clue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sometimes there is some metal casing to protect the tire from the heat of the exhaust of it runs near there. Typically it only comes into play if the car had 17s or something and you went to 20s and wanted a full size 20 inch rim under there, it wouldn't fit.

I think with the donut, there should be room to get a full size under there still. Hard to tell 100% until we see these things and you can look under there.
Thanks. That is what I am thinking from looking at neighbors Bronco. There is some plastic screw on pieces to help keep the donut stable

i just need a little more room. May go up one tire size for additional clearance due to creek/river crossings to get to the double secret spots!!

Now I need to decide what color goes best with steel rims or spray paint them

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cannot imagine that there would be a different mounting system for a donut. I would put a pretty hefty bet on the system working with full size spares and/or donuts.

Now the question I have is- if you get a hybrid or order the full size spare, will the spare be the same tire and size as is on the truck? I know it won't be the same wheel, but there could be a chance that it will be the same rim size and tire, but I have no clue.
It would have to be at least the same diameter, otherwise it would really screw up handling and AWD.

AceGoliath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT, 21 Bronco OBX SAS, 10 Fusion SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do you get the spare from under the truck
I have yet to see where the access hole is located at, but it will be something along these lines:

Note: Be sure if it has a key lock like the F150 to oil/lube the lock tumbler mechanism often and work the spare tire system often. I'd say annually if you live in the salt belt or else it will corrode and you will not be able to get to the spare tire non-destructively. Also check the tire to make sure it holds tire pressure and clean the tire to prevent dry rotting.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have yet to see where the access hole is located at, but it will be something along these lines:

Note: Be sure if it has a key lock like the F150 to oil/lube the lock tumbler mechanism often and work the spare tire system often. I'd say annually if you live in the salt belt or else it will corrode and you will not be able to get to the spare tire non-destructively. Also check the tire to make sure it holds tire pressure and clean the tire to prevent dry rotting.
Correct, the spare is accessed the same as on F-150/Ranger. Tools are located behind the 2nd row seat. The spare tire stowage area is the same on all trucks, so a truck that is built with the donut spare can always swap out for the full size down the road. There will be a lock available to prevent access.

Sponsored

charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150
Correct, the spare is accessed the same as on F-150/Ranger. Tools are located behind the 2nd row seat. The spare tire stowage area is the same on all trucks, so a truck that is built with the donut spare can always swap out for the full size down the road. There will be a lock available to prevent access.
And then..after you lower the spare to the ground, it's still under the truck. So now you have to reach/crawl under the truck to disconnect the lifting cable from the spare and drag the spare from under the truck.
And if the flat is a rear tire, the space under the truck is going to be "somewhat limited".
It's really amazing how heavy a spare tire is when you're laying on your back (or stomach), trying to drag it from under a truck with one hand.
In addition to the tools that come with the truck, you'll want to stop at HarborFreight and pick up a couple of cheap tarps, a couple of pairs of gloves and a furniture pad (the rocks on the shoulder of the road are sharp).

Xbbqpitmaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Seltos S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Full size spare tire is not the same size as on the truckā€¦

Ford Maverick Spare tire housing the same for either tire CFB3BA4A-599E-489D-88E6-B1E2382CA53A

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I always keep old towel or old area rug in my cars and trucks ( to sit on or lay on) . I also have pair of leather work gloves in each vehicle . I also carry a 4 way lug wrench and length of pipe (old fence top rail cut to 2 ft) that fits over the lug wrench end for additional leverage .

Halo9x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have never had a car/truck that didn't have a full size spare. I would think the spare tire housing is the same size for either tire (Full size or donut tire) Does anybody who has had a truck/suv that has donut spare know if this is the case?

If I order a Maverick it will be XL/AWD/4k towing and I am going to upgrade/customize it to fire road, off grid camping etc myself. If the housing is the same I can find a tire or rim at a junk yard from a wrecked Maverick/Bronco/Escape for less than $20 to use as my spare and upfit it if needed.
I donā€™t worry about spare tires, thatā€™s what AAA is for.šŸ˜Š
Sponsored