Sponsored

Anyone used a bed tent before?

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I've been looking around for future Mav accessories I'd actually use and I've seen a lot of cool stuff, some appropriate for the Mav and some not.

I don't have any interest in campers because they are either really expensive or way too problematic to remove when not in use. I would be happy just to have a good truck bed tent with an awning or something. Usually I drive out to a nature preserve of some kind and set up my own tent so the truck will already help me greatly by having better cargo & clearance but why not just sleep in the bed instead of clearing a surface for your tent? Makes sense to me.

Anyway, if there exists a trailer under $2k that weighs <1,000lbs I'd look at it but otherwise I really just wanted to know what everyone's experience with bed tents were. Is this a forgotten category where all the products are essentially the same? Or are there a ton of cool products I'm missing online.

Otherwise I'm interested in camping accessories generally, if there's a good use for that 12v in the back I'm interested to hear it.
Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
but why not just sleep in the bed instead of clearing a surface for your tent?
1) Because one has to strike camp (if) any time they want to drive the vehicle
2) Custom designed tents are much more expensive
3) Even 6 ft with tailgate isn’t much room (length)

OP
OP
Arukoru

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
1) Because one has to strike camp (if) any time they want to drive the vehicle
2) Custom designed tents are much more expensive
3) Even 6 ft with tailgate isn’t much room (length)
Not sure I've seen any real expensive bed tents, I've definitely seen some expensive raised/camper/rail tents that were expensive though. Good point about striking camp, that doesn't affect me personally because it isn't like I'm buying the AWD anyways, there is no reason to drive around where I camp even if you have 4x4 to be honest.

Length wise it is a little bit tight but I figure if we can do rail tents we can surely do a tent that hangs over an extra foot or something. I'm not looking for like a camper experience so much as just a tent and the bed is more level than the ground.

Vewdu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Not much in that category yet. Aftermarket is still in its infant stages. Really the only thing available at the moment is those rail tents that are about 2500ish. I think once we see aftermarket caps, you'll see a bunch of camping stuff for the bed shortly after.

As others have said though, a 4.4ft bed doesn't really leave much for space, so perhaps utilizing the flex bed as a storage/cooking space would be the most ideal. If you're cool with open air camping, a piece of plywood and an awning/soft pop-up (can't remember the name of them) would probably do the trick on the cheap. Someone mentioned a company is working on one somewhere on here. I see them mostly on Tacomas.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fairly active camper: Tents up high on roof racks are a royal pain if you have to take a leak during the night a few times, Tear drops are so cool but not being able to stand up to put pants on is a pain, a good tent with a 6' height ceiling to be able to stand up is preferred. The Maverick is part of my plan to do more camping but if you are hauling "stuff" using the bed to sleep in could be an issue to unload all the "stuff" to set up a tent or mat in the bed. Have had a 34' RV and a royal pair to maintain the bodywork from leaking...."all RV's leak". But something like the "A-Liner" small trailer camper would fit a Maverick Trailer hitch well. Keeping in mind that all small trailers have the necessity of finding a place to park, backup, etc...backing up a camper/trailer is an inconvenience, as in stopping for food, gas, or wanting to take on an off-road trail.

Getting me back to a good spacious tent is not a bad option...which is what I will be doing. But recently looked at a used A-Liner and was most impressed.

What I am hoping for is some manufacturer is designing a tent for the bed or top of the bed of the Maverick...but the bed may still not be long enough even with the tail gate down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZachSD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Canyon 3.5L (159k)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was looking for good camping solutions also and I think tents are impractical for this type of truck. After some additional research, I'm leaning towards this style of camping; using a hitch hammock stand. It's not a tent, but it's an option.

Ford Maverick Anyone used a bed tent before? bf2e80_845fced5bb944916bf91d35cc2e69698_mv2_d_4928_3264_s_4_2

OP
OP
Arukoru

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I was looking for good camping solutions also and I think tents are impractical for this type of truck. After some additional research, I'm leaning towards this style of camping; using a hitch hammock stand. It's not a tent, but it's an option.

bf2e80_845fced5bb944916bf91d35cc2e69698_mv2_d_4928_3264_s_4_2.jpg
Now that's interesting, I have never thought about that before.

I've camped with hammocks before and it is good living, relatively easy setup and comfortable. I've never seen one on a trailer hitch.

ZachSD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC Canyon 3.5L (159k)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now that's interesting, I have never thought about that before.

I've camped with hammocks before and it is good living, relatively easy setup and comfortable. I've never seen one on a trailer hitch.
I only recently discovered them myself after looking for similar tent/trailer solutions. The bed tents are impractical from all the reviews I've looked at, and they deteriorate somewhat quickly. If you're going Hybrid then trailer weight can be an issue unless you go with something lightweight.

Outside of sleeping in a fetal position in the truck bed, or using a ground tent, the hitch hammock solution was the most efficient one I could find. The rack folds down next to nothing, you can keep it on your hitch, and it can cost anywhere between $250-$500 in comparison to a $1000+ bed tent.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Bed tents don't make sense for a bed so small. I doubt we'll see many options.

Rooftop tents are expensive, destroy your mileage, and many are a pain to set up.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I only recently discovered them myself after looking for similar tent/trailer solutions. The bed tents are impractical from all the reviews I've looked at, and they deteriorate somewhat quickly. If you're going Hybrid then trailer weight can be an issue unless you go with something lightweight.

Outside of sleeping in a fetal position in the truck bed, or using a ground tent, the hitch hammock solution was the most efficient one I could find. The rack folds down next to nothing, you can keep it on your hitch, and it can cost anywhere between $250-$500 in comparison to a $1000+ bed tent.
also this one; but really bad reviews: I have a hammock stand not for a trailer hitch that was something like $50.00

https://www.mcleanmetalworksmfg.com/shop

Last edited:
Sponsored

Arcenannie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mavericktruckclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going to brace plywood over the wheelwells and get a Kodiak bed tent. It installs with the tailgate open giving me over 6' for a sleeping pad. I don't think I'd like being hammock exposed while camping. Rain usually hits at night where I go.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm going to brace plywood over the wheelwells and get a Kodiak bed tent. It installs with the tailgate open giving me over 6' for a sleeping pad. I don't think I'd like being hammock exposed while camping. Rain usually hits at night where I go.
I've considered same thing. 1/2 inch plywood would support any body across the width of the bed...trick is finding a tent wide and long enough. OR, put the platform across the top of the bed side rails then it's almost unlimited tent size. Critical part of your search is making sure insects and rain are blocked.

I'm still hoping one of the RACK manufacturers comes up with a tent that can go over the rack with water and insect protection. Which gets back to just get a regular tent and use the ground.

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am patiently waiting for someone to show their Mav with 2 "birthing" hammocks crossways in the bed!🤔

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rooftop tents are expensive, destroy your mileage, and many are a pain to set up.
IMO, the appeal is more of a status symbol than anything practical. Most of the time you're camping you're also drinking by the fire too, and who wants to try to climb up high into bed after when your balance is likely screwed? Most tents should be fine keeping out creepy crawlies, and bears have no problem climbing up that meager height of a vehicle for a snack if it comes to that. Whole point is to be in nature, so IMO just find a dry spot and you can even throw down an air mattress under your sleeping bags for extra comfort if the terrain is a bit rough.

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Why not just pitch a traditional tent on the ground? You could also look into those beds that are meant for the back seat of cars, or just curl up in the back seat.
Sponsored