First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey, I'm guessing there's been other discussions about this but I'll throw my hat in the ring too. I have a Maverick and a Roofnest Condor XL tent. I'm looking for a bed rack system that will let me use the tent. I'm looking at the Xtrustion Ovrlnd XTR1 and the Truxedo Elevate systems currently. Both will allow me to use a Tonneau cover, which is necessary.

I love the fact that Truxedo is adjustable in height and less expensive, although worry at the lower setting would be too low and the higher setting too high? I would get this with the Elevate TS rails to accommodate a Tonneau cover.

The XTR1 looks to be more robust with more options and the ability to DIY as you go but I don't like I'd be spending more $$.

Does anyone have any personal anecdotal info they can add, or other rack systems they've used that would be worth considering?
Sponsored

maverickfx4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Hey, I have the XTR1 with a RTT and like it a lot so far; you can check out my setup in one of my previous posts or on my IG page here. They are actually using my pics on their site too haha. I run a hard roll-up with my XTR1 and minor tonneau rail trimming.

All hardshell tents I’m aware of would need to be above the cab due to the short bed. So I agree with your sentiment that 18” may be too short (I believe 20” clears the antenna). It may fit, but would be very tight if you have a stubby antena or something of the short. IMO 28” is way too high to have a tent up, it might look ridiculous, and your mpgs are probably going to be destroyed especially on hwy. I haven’t looked in depth at the Elevate but it seems to be close in price to the Xtrusion if you need the rails as well.

If you end up going with the Xtrusion, they’ve given me a discount code “MAVERICKFX4” so you could get 10% off their rack. I’m happy with mine so far. I was initially interested in an adjustable height rack (and still am), but all of them start at nearly cab-height if not above. I’d love to see one starting at 10” or lower.

OP
OP
tpoirier

tpoirier

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey, I have the XTR1 with a RTT and like it a lot so far; you can check out my setup in one of my previous posts or on my IG page here. They are actually using my pics on their site too haha. I run a hard roll-up with my XTR1 and minor tonneau rail trimming.

All hardshell tents I’m aware of would need to be above the cab due to the short bed. So I agree with your sentiment that 18” may be too short (I believe 20” clears the antenna). It may fit, but would be very tight if you have a stubby antena or something of the short. IMO 28” is way too high to have a tent up, it might look ridiculous, and your mpgs are probably going to be destroyed especially on hwy. I haven’t looked in depth at the Elevate but it seems to be close in price to the Xtrusion if you need the rails as well.

If you end up going with the Xtrusion, they’ve given me a discount code “MAVERICKFX4” so you could get 10% off their rack. I’m happy with mine so far. I was initially interested in an adjustable height rack (and still am), but all of them start at nearly cab-height if not above. I’d love to see one starting at 10” or lower.
Great pics, nice setup! I did want a hard top tent but the Condor XL is larger than I would have gotten except I found one new in the box for half price (the poor guy's wife wouldn't let him keep it!) and my fiancee wants a more glamourous camping experience than I'm used to and since it'll be our honeymoon I suppose I shouldn't skimp.

I have seen pictures of a HTT hanging off the back of the truck instead of over the cab, I may opt for that route so I can keep everything lower but have to figure out how big that overhang would be.

Thanks for that code!

I enjoyed Northern CA when I was there years ago. It would be a great place to be doing road trips with the Mav! I remember camping once right outside of Myers Flats on a river and driving into town for the best steak dinner of my life at one of the 2 bars that were in town at that point.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey, I'm guessing there's been other discussions about this but I'll throw my hat in the ring too. I have a Maverick and a Roofnest Condor XL tent. I'm looking for a bed rack system that will let me use the tent. I'm looking at the Xtrustion Ovrlnd XTR1 and the Truxedo Elevate systems currently. Both will allow me to use a Tonneau cover, which is necessary.

I love the fact that Truxedo is adjustable in height and less expensive, although worry at the lower setting would be too low and the higher setting too high? I would get this with the Elevate TS rails to accommodate a Tonneau cover.

The XTR1 looks to be more robust with more options and the ability to DIY as you go but I don't like I'd be spending more $$.

Does anyone have any personal anecdotal info they can add, or other rack systems they've used that would be worth considering?
I have the Angry Elephant racks riding on the TS Elevate rails. It is hei adjustable and works perfectly with the Truxedo Pro X15 tonneau.

The Malone Kayak mounts should of course not be necessary.

Ford Maverick Bed Rack / Tent C684E755-1889-4109-BCA4-87634E98289A

Sponsored

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Condor (not XL) that folds out sideways and is less than 5 feet long. It should be mountable down at the bed side height using crossbars with only a few inches of overhang at the back. This would keep the bulk of the Condor below the roofline for better fuel economy.

The only complication might be one the fly poles for the window at the cab end, but pretty sure that can be resolved by tying it off somewhere else.

Could also work with XL, but would stick out at least a foot longer.

So I’m looking for a tonneau of some kind with t-slot rails that could support simple crossbars. Such things exist for the bigger trucks, hopefully a Maverick implementation will show up soon.

OP
OP
tpoirier

tpoirier

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Condor (not XL) that folds out sideways and is less than 5 feet long. It should be mountable down at the bed side height using crossbars with only a few inches of overhang at the back. This would keep the bulk of the Condor below the roofline for better fuel economy.

The only complication might be one the fly poles for the window at the cab end, but pretty sure that can be resolved by tying it off somewhere else.

So I’m looking for a tonneau of some kind with t-slot rails that could support simple crossbars. Such things exist for the bigger trucks, hopefully a Maverick implementation will show up soon.
I plan on carrying too much in the bed of my truck to make that a viable option. I definitely want the tent around the same height as the top of my cab. A 15" overhang wouldn't be terrible.

I did see a youtube video once where a guy was talking about the fly poles at the cab end. They didn't work with his configuration either and he said he'd seen where some people have bent the poles to accommodate the shape they needed to be in but he hadn't done it himself yet.

maverickfx4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Great pics, nice setup! I did want a hard top tent but the Condor XL is larger than I would have gotten except I found one new in the box for half price (the poor guy's wife wouldn't let him keep it!) and my fiancee wants a more glamourous camping experience than I'm used to and since it'll be our honeymoon I suppose I shouldn't skimp.

I have seen pictures of a HTT hanging off the back of the truck instead of over the cab, I may opt for that route so I can keep everything lower but have to figure out how big that overhang would be.

Thanks for that code!

I enjoyed Northern CA when I was there years ago. It would be a great place to be doing road trips with the Mav! I remember camping once right outside of Myers Flats on a river and driving into town for the best steak dinner of my life at one of the 2 bars that were in town at that point.
Thanks!! And that's a crazy good price for a Roofnest, lucky you! I'm always envious of the added convenience of the hardshells but with the price/length/weight I've never been able to convince myself. Personally my rack is 13" and the extra height of the RTT already bugs me haha. I can't imagine having it on a 28" rack. The bed is supposedly 4.5 feet so I'd assume the overhang would be whatever the length of the tent is, minus 54 inches.

Northern CA has some amazing spots! I still haven't been up to Myers Flat but I have Mendocino on my list for the summer. :) hope it all works out for you; looking forward to seeing some pics of your setup!

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Kayak mounts will definitely be necessary in some configuration!
Well there you go. They are easily removed when not in use.

mw_maeve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Check here if it helps with setup inspo/ideas

Sponsored

MrHomeGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

If you want to stay below the roof, I use a iKamper Mini. It only overhangs a bit beyond the tailgate , Specs at www.ikamper.com

johnpbrewer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Roll n Lock will have an M series XT soon.
Sponsored