Sponsored

FX4 Tow Hook License Plate Mount solution?

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am really dreading having my dealer drill into my brand new front bumper to install the license plate holder when my truck arrives. I have heard that some folks are doing a mount that holds the license plate and attaches to the front tow hook on the FX4.

What is the best solution for tow hook mounting a license plate? For those who have done it - what will work best on the Maverick?
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am really dreading having my dealer drill into my brand new front bumper to install the license plate holder when my truck arrives. I have heard that some folks are doing a mount that holds the license plate and attaches to the front tow hook on the FX4.

What is the best solution for tow hook mounting a license plate? For those who have done it - what will work best on the Maverick?
This worked fine for me.

Ford Maverick FX4 Tow Hook License Plate Mount solution? 56E0613A-1D53-4FE0-8201-02A7BFEFACB5

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This worked fine for me.
Thanks for such a quick reply.

What are your thoughts on running that through a carwash? Maybe bust out the wrenches and remove it beforehand?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for such a quick reply.

What are your thoughts on running that through a carwash? Maybe bust out the wrenches and remove it beforehand?
I will only use touchless washes so I don’t plan on removing. I suppose it could be an issue on a contact wash.

Bot sure about taking it off each time though. It’s pretty tight in there for bolting and unbolting.

MavDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MAZDA 3 Sedan
Here's the thread showing off the solution @The Weatherman is talking about. There is also this mount that is talked about/pictured in the same thread although not attached to the tow hook area.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks folks.

One more question came to mind; Is there any rattling or excessive vibration when travelling at highway speeds? (80+MPH)

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks folks.

One more question came to mind; Is there any rattling or excessive vibration when travelling at highway speeds? (80+MPH)
I have not observed any at 75+.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's the thread showing off the solution @The Weatherman is talking about. There is also this mount that is talked about/pictured in the same thread although not attached to the tow hook area.
Actually it was my idea :)

FX4 Tow Hook Option

I also purchased this black license plate backing afterwards. I wanted the plate to be reinforced and have 4 mounting points instead of just the 2 bottom bolts. Working extremely well so far, and it is much sturdier with the additional reinforcement.

Stainless Steel License Plate Back

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Also, FYI I placed strips of looped Velcro between the bracket pieces and the tow hook to protect the paint. .

Sponsored

mrrk47

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really dread the world my kids are becoming adults in, I dread not have a solid retirement strategy (that's on me though), I dread some of my vices (again that's on me, I really dread the violent economy we have as well as unstable leadership. Yeah, those front bumper holes are terrifying.

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I know what you mean. I really dread the world my kids are becoming adults in, I dread not have a solid retirement strategy (that's on me though), I dread some of my vices (again that's on me, I really dread the violent economy we have as well as unstable leadership. Yeah, those front bumper holes are terrifying.
You sound dreadful to party with.

Anton4

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My XLT FX4 came from the factory with a front license plate frame. I’m not sure why all Mavericks don’t have one. I don’t think I’ve ever had a vehicle that didn’t have one.

Ford Maverick FX4 Tow Hook License Plate Mount solution? FE84ED63-DF03-47D3-9E5D-565E17DA39FE

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have license plate frame as part of my build order on an FX4 as well. I assumed that was for the front. I got nervous about that a couple of days ago and double checked. I think my dealer had to add that even though there is not a charge for it listed, maybe that is why.

OP
OP
Air Shootist

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My XLT FX4 came from the factory with a front license plate frame. I’m not sure why all Mavericks don’t have one. I don’t think I’ve ever had a vehicle that didn’t have one.

FE84ED63-DF03-47D3-9E5D-565E17DA39FE.jpeg
yes, they all do in states where it is required. I plan on moving out of Hellinois at some point and hopefully to a more free state that doesn't require front license plates.
I think it spoils the look of the front end plus it causes irreversible damage to the bumper. It also obviously cuts into the paint and opens up a "wound" that may later allow water, salt, etc in there which could cause peeling.

Tow hook mount seems like the way to go. If I ever have to actually use the tow hook, there are always tools on board to remove the bracket.
Sponsored

Last edited: