Sponsored

xlt audio: why radio quality is so much better than usb/ bluetooth?

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
+++++++++Update++++++++
play any of these modern high quality tracks yo really assess the quality of the audio out of your maverick https://audiophilemusic.io/portfolio/top-10-samplers-for-test-high-end-system/
What a difference!!! so before upgrading speakers I should select a better streaming service. The ones with amazon prime or youtube are junk or at least expose some trouble for the maverick

+++++++++++++++++++++++
I was disappointed but not totally surprised by the low quality of the audio output in my xlt. I could not listen music higher than 1/3 volume because of sound distortion. It is that bad; and I am no Beethoven.
I then did something I have not done in a long time. I listen music/rock from the RADIO. the sound was much better!
I use youtube (no subscription) and amazon prime with eirher Usb Usb3 or bluetooth and the audio is terrible. I set the audio quality to max available on those two services and I even tried to streaming while using the wifi of my house with plenty of bandwidth. I tested with both the original apple cable and a cheaper version with no noticeable difference.
I use an Iphone 7 that is not the newest out there but still performing great with audio for my other car with the same streaming services.
I imagine upgrading the speakers may help but there are other problems.
why would the radio quality be so much better than usb/bluetooth audio source?
is this a software bug waiting for a fix from ford?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
YouTube is low quality music streaming, @ 256 kbps max. Amazon Music is worse at less than 192kbps. Spotify is a little better at 320kbps. I have a Spotify Premium subscription but have been using Tidal since getting my Maverick. It streams at 1411kbps on the Hifi plan($5.99/month for military, first responder) and sounds great in my Lariat Lux.

There is a 30 day trial of Tidal if you want to test it out and see if you can hear a difference.

Last edited:

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I stream Sirus satellite thru blue tooth and its alot better quality then the FM radio. The USB port is very good quality as well, i have some recorded music on a flash stick(147 songs)and it sounds very good for 4 speakers, separation and imaging is outstanding.

Guy_K

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I learn something new on a regular basis here! I have never had a streaming subscription but now I know how crappy it would sound if I did. I converted all of my CD's to FLAC to ensure high fidelity music on my android phone.
Btw... I pick up my Maverick tomorrow and have a nice list of things I want to do to personalize my ride all from reading the postings here. Thanks everyone!

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of phone do you use? Bluetooth sound quality can vary significantly, depending on the codec. Maybe your phone is defaulting to an older, lower quality Bluetooth codec?

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have found the exact opposite. The FM reception is poor and seems to lack full frequency response. But Bluetooth has worked amazingly well with Spotify, Pandora and the I heart radio app. They not only sound good but can be controlled on the infotainment screen. I know nothing about the USB. Ford has still not fixed my media hub.🤔

The volume does not distort below 50% but I but installed Infinity reference speakers. The distortion is because the factory amp is quite powerful. At 50℅ it is as loud as I would ever listen to it. I'd install door speakers capable of handling more power but they are already vibrating more than I like. Stronger speakers would likely blow apart the door. No Kappa's for me.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have found the exact opposite. The FM reception is poor and seems to lack full frequency response. But Bluetooth has worked amazingly well with Spotify, Pandora and the I heart radio app. They not only sound good but can be controlled on the infotainment screen.
Exact same thing we are experiencing. If we have one complaint it's that the radio reception absolutely blows (and sometimes there is a lag), we are using Spotify about 95% of the time. Believe it or not, the base sound system actually sounds better than the base system in our '17 VW jetta - it is by no means good, but it was a slight upgrade for us.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I learn something new on a regular basis here! I have never had a streaming subscription but now I know how crappy it would sound if I did. I converted all of my CD's to FLAC to ensure high fidelity music on my android phone.
Btw... I pick up my Maverick tomorrow and have a nice list of things I want to do to personalize my ride all from reading the postings here. Thanks everyone!
Yep, Tidal or Qobuz are the only streaming platforms that will come close to High Quality and sound great in my experience. This includes Spotify, Pandora, Sirius XM App, I Heart, YouTube, etc.

Neither are free though, and require decent cell service. Tidal is worth the $5.99 to me to play what I want, when I want, not searching though 1000's of songs on a usb/phone drive.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay here is some fighting words. I do not think a high def streaming service is practical for an automobile. I use tidal at home but wouldn't think of streaming it over a cell connection and playing it on a car radio. Get some headphones and plug it directly into your phone. The sound will transport you. It would take thousands of dollars to replicate that sound experience with a car stereo.

Without going into codecs, bluetooth connections can be bad, really bad. It may be your phone, it may be the head unit. Try some different configurations. If Ford ever fixes my OSB port I have an MA1 dongle to attach. It has a much more robust bluetooth connection which actually negotiates a wifi connection between the phone and the radio. I want it for Carplay but I am curious how it will make Spotify sound.

Spotify is good, really good and well integrated with the Maverick's connected touch radio. It is free for the basic service and even the factory phone buetooth connection is good. You pay for data but it isn't much. My daughter had been streaming in the car for a year before I caught her doing it and she made me realize it was not enough data for me to even see it on our phone bill.

Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Believe it or not, the base sound system actually sounds better than the base system in our '17 VW jetta - it is by no means good, but it was a slight upgrade for us.
I felt that same way coming from a 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport. It supposedly had a decent sound system, but it never sounded that great to me. I would have a hard time making out certain sound details. I dunno if it’s the actual sound system or the interior area of the car and the acoustics, but I like the Maverick way more for listening to music. It seems like a lot of people complain about the Maverick’s sound system, but it works for me. I never need to bring the dial past 15. Mostly it’s at 12. Maybe it’s because I don’t blast my music.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I can barely listen to the radio, i will either listen recorded music off flash drive thru the USB, or bluetooth stream XM accross my phone. Both are 3 steps up from the FM. They both sound quite good at about 15-18 volume with my replacement speakers and proper sound deadning and CCF. It is acceptable sound for me.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can barely listen to the radio, i will either listen recorded music off flash drive thru the USB, or bluetooth stream XM accross my phone. Both are 3 steps up from the FM. They both sound quite good at about 15-18 volume with my replacement speakers and proper sound deadning and CCF. It is acceptable sound for me.
Do you have HD Radio(Lariat Lux,)because it sounds good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peps

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thank you all for the comments. I verified that is the quality of the streaming services the issue! or has a good part in it. once you stream an high quality track it is night and day the difference. both bluetooth and usb are fine.
please play in your moverick any of these songs and you will see that the sound out of the standard xlt is decent. it is amazing the difference respect to youtube and amazon prime. you can push the maverick to is max 30 volume and it is fine.

https://audiophilemusic.io/portfolio/top-10-samplers-for-test-high-end-system/

but in my other car volvo xc 2020 the sound is still good with the standard streaming services. Why is the maverick demanding higher quality input to work ok? am I discovering that higher quality system compensate a low quality/bandwidth inputs? or simply youtube/ amazon are junk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peps

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of phone do you use? Bluetooth sound quality can vary significantly, depending on the codec. Maybe your phone is defaulting to an older, lower quality Bluetooth codec?
was iphone 7 with latest apple update installed. not sure I cn control the specifics of the bluetooth independently. and also tried with a iphone 12 but not much difference until i used a better streaming service
Sponsored