First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not normal at all , I never towed yet, I let you know what the dealer next week will found about it , you seem to live near me , I will tell you my dealer name if they do find the problem . You know quebec dealer suck ah..
thank you very much, i appreciate. i live in Lanaudière.
maybe our tansmission it's only over fill by the mfg. i never check the level and the dealer does not have check level yet.
Sponsored

PLG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
P-L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xlt mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
thank you very much, i appreciate. i live in Lanaudière.
maybe our tansmission it's only over fill by the mfg. i never check the level and the dealer does not have check level yet.
the trans dont have a dip stick , only a fill plug on the side , I will let the dealer have a go at it before touching anything

OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you everyone for their feedback. Keep us all posted if anyone finds anything. Of course last two days after being told to bring it in as soon as i smell it so they can trace it....it doesnt happen haha. If anyone finds the source let me know i still got a few weeks for my appointment.

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah i am at a loss, i can see this happening to new vehicles but with over 14,000 miles why start now? I will keep anything i find out posted here.
Crazy but I’m at 14300 miles and this afternoon getting out of the truck I thought I was smelling a burnt electrical smell. Definitely something I’m going to stay vigilant about.

OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if just coincidence, but last week I crawled under truck to look. On what I believe is the resonator, first bulbous part on exhaust you can see behind motor....there was a small almost 4x2 almost foil metal like sticker on it that was starting to peel off. I took it off and it was definitely charred up a bit. It hasn't smelled of hot melted plastic since. Going to keep my fingers crossed but it may just be coincidence. Anyone else have this same sticker on theirs. May have been the adhesive burning off when hot.

Sponsored

Mpompi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same with me!! I noticed my smell on Sunday thinking it was my brakes and I still smell it. Only for a couple seconds and then it’s gone when I start moving. Checked everything and couldn’t find a problem. Only thing I noticed is my entire exhaust is covered in salt…NY problems.

OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Haha mine is too, idk what that metal foil sticker kind of thing was, the salt build up on it caused it to bake from the heat and there was nothing visable on it when it comes to it being a sticker but it was damn near burnt to a crisp. It was half peeled off so i peeled it the rest of the way. And so far almost a week no smell.

Ron43

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick AWD ,XLT , FX4, Luxury package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Again today used my app and when I got in could smell it , I did try the remote start using the remote and nothing . Crazy I’m not worried about it , you guys shouldn’t be either but it is weird.

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am having the very exact issue you mentioned having. I have an Ecoboost and have just over 20k miles on my Maverick at this point. I would describe it as a burning rubber smell. Usually I smell it after I let my car warm up in the mornings. I live in a colder climate (Alaska).

I have been smelling it more and more recently after driving. They also salt the roads here and I seem to notice it when the roads are wet. The weather is starting to warm up here so there's more water on the roads recently. So it may be the salty water getting splashed up on something on the underside of the truck.

I have opened my hood multiple times to look for where the smell is coming from to no avail. I checked all my fluids and they all seem good.

I am going to check to see if mine has some of that foil tape you mentioned as well. Hopefully that is it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah i have tried to eliminate as many things as possible. I was convinced it was water getting up on the belt but have literally had it happen on the dryest of days and without my vehicle even being driven yet. Im curious to see if any others have that same sticker or not.

Sponsored

John Eplett

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been having the same issue with a Lariat 2.0 Eco boost. Took it in to the dealership last week and had it up on the hoist. 5 of us looked at it for half an hour to no avail.
Started back in November last year. first time I noticed it was 10 minutes after remote start sitting in the driveway. Another time was after a 1-1/2 hour trip down the highway ending in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes. There just doesn't seem to be any obvious reason for it to happen.
Back in the mid 70's, I was a licenced auto mechanic and during that time, I replaced many exhaust systems. Typically, we would cut the exhaust pipe in several places and then using the oxyacetylene torch, cut through the rubber strap on the hanger brackets and drop the exhaust system pieces. Then we had clear access to the remaining hanger pieces for removal. That smell of the burning rubber is exactly what I'm smelling- burning rubber.
I will be following this thread with keen interest and hope that one of us figures it out. Seems the dealership and the availability to refer to TSB's and their inner dealership communications hasn't found the problem yet. My fear is that one of us will find themselves sitting on the side of the road with a Maverick on fire..

John Eplett

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if just coincidence, but last week I crawled under truck to look. On what I believe is the resonator, first bulbous part on exhaust you can see behind motor....there was a small almost 4x2 almost foil metal like sticker on it that was starting to peel off. I took it off and it was definitely charred up a bit. It hasn't smelled of hot melted plastic since. Going to keep my fingers crossed but it may just be coincidence. Anyone else have this same sticker on theirs. May have been the adhesive burning off when hot.
Strangely enough, when mine was up on the hoist we also noticed that foil identification marker on the resonator and it was definitely charred up and almost ready to fall off and we all wondered if that could have been it. It was peeled off at that time. I have since had the burning rubber smell happen again after removing that foiled label.

John Eplett

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Strangely enough, when mine was up on the hoist we also noticed that foil identification marker on the resonator and it was definitely charred up and almost ready to fall off and we all wondered if that could have been it. It was peeled off at that time. I have since had the burning rubber smell happen again after removing that foiled label.
I should also mention that when it happens, it can be smelled coming through the heating system, so if it's happening outside of the heating system, it must be coming from the engine compartment and the smoke/smell is being drawn in to the heating system from the inlet ducts behind the windshield wipers.

OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So far since taking that sticker thing off it has not done it once to me. Perhaps maybe other parts of the exhaust system has similar identification stickers. I hope either way one of us can find a source.

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't located the smell myself yet but have my truck scheduled for a dealership visit next month and they are going to look for it. I'll let you all know if they find anything after looking. I find it interesting how it comes and goes. I am hoping the smell is there when I take it in so they can locate it.
Sponsored