hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 14,000 miles on my truck and have had a hell of a time locating the source of a hot burning rubber smell that comes and goes. I have process of eliminated anything interrior, not heated seats or stearing wheel and its not linked to the blower motor or heat AC system. My first thought was water getting in and hitting my belt. but elimated that after it has done so on the dryest of days and even before its driven for anything like that to hit the belt. I have sent it in to get looked at and after a day they found nothing. It started around the start of winter, does it often when using remote starting app, but has also done it manual start. They also couldnt get the smell to happen today in the shop. I have read that some mavericks have an extra heating element that provide quick heat to the cab when the motor is cold instead of having to wait for the truck to warm up to get heat. Anyone know if the XLT eco boost motor has this element? and if so maybe this is causing the nasty burning rubber smell? It kind of makes sense why it started when the cold came, and why now that the vehicles is warmed up, they cant get it to do it in the shop. I assume this extra system if this truck has it, wont operate when the motor is warm, hence why sometimes i smell it and sometimes i do not.
Sponsored

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 14,000 miles on my truck and have had a hell of a time locating the source of a hot burning rubber smell that comes and goes. I have process of eliminated anything interrior, not heated seats or stearing wheel and its not linked to the blower motor or heat AC system. My first thought was water getting in and hitting my belt. but elimated that after it has done so on the dryest of days and even before its driven for anything like that to hit the belt. I have sent it in to get looked at and after a day they found nothing. It started around the start of winter, does it often when using remote starting app, but has also done it manual start. They also couldnt get the smell to happen today in the shop. I have read that some mavericks have an extra heating element that provide quick heat to the cab when the motor is cold instead of having to wait for the truck to warm up to get heat. Anyone know if the XLT eco boost motor has this element? and if so maybe this is causing the nasty burning rubber smell? It kind of makes sense why it started when the cold came, and why now that the vehicles is warmed up, they cant get it to do it in the shop. I assume this extra system if this truck has it, wont operate when the motor is warm, hence why sometimes i smell it and sometimes i do not.
Samething here about the burning rubber smell, dealer said at other maverick owner it's splash from the wet road on the exhaust.
(n) mine smell like that too when i stop at the red light and goes away when i drive ( i think the wind dispel the smell ). i wait when the road gone be dry to test again.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have had it do it on days where it hasnt rained in a week and i havent even driven it yet still in park in my driveway. I only smell it inside when i stop as well. the wind speed when driving blows it away before it gets in the cab. It was so bad today after running my son into daycare, when i got back to the truck i had to roll the windows down to air it out. I have 3 weeks before my local shop can even look at it. I am affraid to even drive it and have it catch fire. NO WAY IN HELL am i waiting as long as i did to get a new one if it burns.

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have had it do it on days where it hasnt rained in a week and i havent even driven it yet still in park in my driveway. I only smell it inside when i stop as well. the wind speed when driving blows it away before it gets in the cab. It was so bad today after running my son into daycare, when i got back to the truck i had to roll the windows down to air it out. I have 3 weeks before my local shop can even look at it. I am affraid to even drive it and have it catch fire. NO WAY IN HELL am i waiting as long as i did to get a new one if it burns.
Mine doing that since november , i'am not affraid to catch in fire, i'ts only desagreable. I do not have the problem for 2 weeks in mid january after i have manipulated every wire cover by rubber around exhaust manifold an catalic converter (O2 sensors and ptu vent etc..) but the problem came back last week. Like you even when i start at the cold morning -20 cielcius the smell came in the cab. If i stay at idle for couple minutes when the engine is warm the smell goes away until i drive again and stop again.

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i'am really sure it's something to close of the exhaust system or turbo. there where is really hot.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah i am at a loss, i can see this happening to new vehicles but with over 14,000 miles why start now? I will keep anything i find out posted here.

OP
OP
hiball

hiball

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We both live in cold climates. Mine has started when winter came. I drive maybe 40 miles at a time to go to and from work. havent taken it on any longer trips since it started to see if it goes away or stays present after a long drive.

BlindMello

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Taurus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad I'm seeing your post. Not really though. I'm definitely not the only one with this issue then. Started for me in November with about 7,000 miles. Remote start seems to make it worse. Some days not even a hint of burning smell, then bam out of nowhere. Has gotten bad enough to have to roll down the windows on a few occasions. Stop and walk around truck and smell is coming straight out the front end. The smell for me is more burnt oil than rubber. Which is kind of the same type smell. Dealership didn't find anything. Not a great feeling to have a new vehicle that smells like an old bomber. Hope we find out what's going on.

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We both live in cold climates. Mine has started when winter came. I drive maybe 40 miles at a time to go to and from work. havent taken it on any longer trips since it started to see if it goes away or stays present after a long drive.
For me it stays present after a long drive.

Ron43

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick AWD ,XLT , FX4, Luxury package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Used my app remote start today and noticed a rubber burning smell just checked this site and see you guys smell it too wow I didn’t think nothing of it till now. I’m a mechanic with a lot of dealer access,I’ll try to see if it’s a common ford issue and if they have a TSB or reflash for it.

Sponsored

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Used my app remote start today and noticed a rubber burning smell just checked this site and see you guys smell it too wow I didn’t think nothing of it till now. I’m a mechanic with a lot of dealer access,I’ll try to see if it’s a common ford issue and if they have a TSB or reflash for it.
my dealer say it's a common maverick peculiarity. but have no clue about the problem.

PLG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
P-L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xlt mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got the same problem here , I went to the dealer and they found nothing . This morning I was exploring with my flashlight in the engine bay and found oil on top of the transmission?. Went to the dealer, they think its the tork converter, trans may be overheating. Got an appointment next week

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got the same problem here , I went to the dealer and they found nothing . This morning I was exploring with my flashlight in the engine bay and found oil on top of the transmission?. Went to the dealer, they think its the tork converter, trans may be overheating. Got an appointment next week
I have some oil on top of the transmission too, dealer tell me it's normal because i tow every day 3500 lbs for work in summer. But i don't tow in the winter and have some oil again even after have wash all oil over the trans and the burning rubber smell stays. oil come from the vent of the transmission.

PLG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
P-L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xlt mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have some oil on top of the transmission too, dealer tell me it's normal because i tow every day 3500 lbs for work in summer. But i don't tow in the winter and have some oil again even after have wash all oil over the trans and the burning rubber smell stays. oil come from the vent of the transmission.
Not normal at all , I never towed yet, I let you know what the dealer next week will found about it , you seem to live near me , I will tell you my dealer name if they do find the problem . You know quebec dealer suck ah..
Sponsored