Sponsored

Would you pay for future upgrade to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system?

OP
OP
Red Ryder

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some of us keep vehicles a long time. Long enough that some of the technology becomes obsolete.

I had an '06 Ford to which I added Bluetooth capability (Parrot), and then again to get CarPlay for navigation and hands-free phone use.

If someone were to keep a 2022 vehicle for a similar period, then one may want a technology refresh along the way. Even CarPlay and Android Auto can evolve or be superseded by something not yet supported by the current hardware. My point being that technology typically stales faster than the vehicle and is the first thing that typically forces obsolescence. An upgrade solution other than vehicle replacement sounds reasonable, you can't fix everything with OTA updates.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red Ryder

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you mean like we used to have until about 20 or so years ago? I remember swapping stereos on many a car, wreck one car, pull the radio and put it in another!
Actually the DIN-PANEL I made up, based off the old single DIN and double-DIN form factors. Since panels (tablets) are the automotive craze now, it would have been nice to have had a standard size across the industry, much like the Japanese cars used double-DIN for decades. It would have facilitated tech upgrades and Ford could have designed the panel opening to a universal standard eliminating the obvious retrofit cubby.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually the DIN-PANEL I made up, based off the old single DIN and double-DIN form factors. Since panels (tablets) are the automotive craze now, it would have been nice to have had a standard size across the industry, much like the Japanese cars used double-DIN for decades. It would have facilitated tech upgrades and Ford could have designed the panel opening to a universal standard eliminating the obvious retrofit cubby.
If a vehicle is popular enough the aftermarket will step in with complete solutions... their survival depends on it.

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
I would not care if that cubby weren't there, but since it is, I would like a screen that could fit the whole space. It would give it a much more concentric look.

OP
OP
Red Ryder

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would not care if that cubby weren't there, but since it is, I would like a screen that could fit the whole space. It would give it a much more concentric look.
That's where I'm at. The existing screen would be fine, but as-is, it screams "last-minute fix". In a few years, it will be a reminder of CV-19 and resultant supply chain issues. While I know that computers and some other items are scarce, I cannot think of another retail product that has been visibly modified as a result of this supply issue. I suppose Ford was too far along with the dash tooling to modify it for the smaller screen, the bezel and cubby being much less expensive. But it shows.

Sponsored

Camodude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never...I like the cubby. You can never have enough spaces for "stuff" or gear.

Karmic

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
If Ford offered an upgrade a year or two in the future to upgrade the Sync 3 system to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system that would eliminate the "ugly cubby", offer the latest technology and possibly an audio upgrade, would anyone bite or would you feel cheated from not having it from the get-go?

I would bite. Even as a Lariat/Lariat Package buyer, I realize that this vehicle is an economical option and some of the tech is hampered by the supply chain issues. I think getting a tech refresh mid cycle would help make it feel modern as it ages.

Thoughts? Price point?
Nope. I think they're getting smart. Stop working on that stuff. Apple/Android is the way to go. Save the R&D on in house brands.

OP
OP
Red Ryder

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. I think they're getting smart. Stop working on that stuff. Apple/Android is the way to go. Save the R&D on in house brands.
You must have missed Post #31. If CarPlay 2 or Android Auto Plus only run on USB5, or FiberBus, then wouldn't an upgrade path be welcome, or will you likely trade vehicles by then?

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
My first question would be how much? But realistically, I would not bite. Apple CarPlay does everything I need and I don't care about B&O or Fender or Kicker or any other kinda fancy speaker system. Not important to me.
So your one of the vast majority who just wants some back ground noise, right ? :) lol You know, I suspect the Maverick will come stock with very little sound deadening.... + then, if you just crack your windows, you will have plenty of noise to listen to :) Why bother with a stereo ?
On the other hand, I would sound deaden the chit out of mine (not expensive, just a PITA) and put in a really nice sounding system with crisp highs, and solid, deep bass, and make that Apple Car Play (I use Amazon Music) worthwhile.... and all of this, for probably less than $1000... Then maybe a few hundred for install. I know how, I just hate messing with that garbage. Would rather design stereo systems than install them.

Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So your one of the vast majority who just wants some back ground noise, right ? :) lol You know, I suspect the Maverick will come stock with very little sound deadening.... + then, if you just crack your windows, you will have plenty of noise to listen to :) Why bother with a stereo ?
On the other hand, I would sound deaden the chit out of mine (not expensive, just a PITA) and put in a really nice sounding system with crisp highs, and solid, deep bass, and make that Apple Car Play (I use Amazon Music) worthwhile.... and all of this, for probably less than $1000... Then maybe a few hundred for install. I know how, I just hate messing with that garbage. Would rather design stereo systems than install them.
Haha different strokes for different folks. I would spend an extra $1,000-$1,200 on totally different things. I can attribute a lot of that to just I don’t drive much. My daily commute is about 12.5 miles in total and I only put about 8,000(+/-) miles on my vehicle a year.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know on the Mustangs' the aftermarket figured out how to do an 'upgrade' option (really was just replacing the original OE unit with a newer one):
Infotainment Mustang MyFord Touch Sync 2 to Sync 3 F-BDLMFTS3-15R3 (upgrades the old Sync 2 to Sync 3 and adds Carplay/Android Auto).

If Ford were to offer something to go to Sync 4 with the bigger screen, it could be a nice swap setup if the price isn't too outrageous if you want to stick with OE styling. I am okay with whatever as long as it works well enough to do what I need. I gotta have background sound while I drive
:)

[EDIT: As a side note, if you have Sync 3 but don't have Car Play/Android Auto, its a $80-ish upgrade to add it to the older S550s - replace the USB Hub in the center console with P/N P/N HU5Z-19A387-A and then do an update over Wifi. Thats how I got it in my 16.)
Infotainment.com = $$$. Their upgrades are pretty expensive. I'm confident there is enough interest that some aftermarket manufacturer will developt something to upgrade the Connected Touch to include nav. and SiriusXm. A similar Harman ACM to the Maverick ACM has a SiriusXM antenna input and screen shots show the operation of SiriusXM. It is a Harman CTR, but there are other Harman CTRs that do not have the SiriusXM antenna port nor capability. In fact, several other MTC members believe the Maverick ACM is a form of the Harman CTR.

Here is a shot of the ports on the Harman CTR. Note, the SDARS antenna port.

Ford Maverick Would you pay for future upgrade to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system? 1642866799777

Here is a screen shot from the Harman CTR owner's manual showing available sources:

Ford Maverick Would you pay for future upgrade to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system? 1642867214844

There are other screen shots that show other SiriusXM operations.

Note, opuradio.com sells a FoMoCo (Harman) Model CTR for $72, but unfortunately, this CTR does not have the SDARS port shown. I would love to find this unit with SDARS, so if anyone runs across such a thing, please let me know.

Ford Maverick Would you pay for future upgrade to a 12"+ Sync 4/(5?) system? 1642867405957

There is a lot more information at the thread: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...in-xlt-and-below-unable-to-upgrade-sync.7112/
Sponsored