Sponsored

Would a 1" spacer lift kit get you 1" ground clearance?

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am new to the lift kit side of things. I have been doing enough research to be dangerous. I have seen where there are spacer lift kits, and suspension kits. While spacer lifts tend to be cheaper, I have read different things (especially across different vehicles) if they actually give you more ground clearance. So if I went with an affordable 1" to 1.5" spacer kit, how much extra clearance would I actually get. Gauging getting a Tremor (which is really about 0.75" lift due to the rest being in the tires) vs. FX4 with 4x and doing a modest lift.

Thanks for walking a noob through on this.
Sponsored

Daverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

From my understanding the ground clearance would not change with spacers; the body would be pushed up slightly, but the suspension, axels, etc. would still be at the same height.
I could be wrong as I am also a noob at this.

You would definitely gain some clearance if you upgrade to larger tires post-lift since the center of the wheel would be higher up.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems to me the only thing that will increase the space under the diff is bigger tires.

Sponsored

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From my understanding the ground clearance would not change with spacers; the body would be pushed up slightly, but the suspension, axels, etc. would still be at the same height.
I could be wrong as I am also a noob at this.

You would definitely gain some clearance if you upgrade to larger tires post-lift since the center of the wheel would be higher up.
That is true for a body-on-frame pickup.

The Maverick is not body-on-frame.

J.C.23

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The answer is.. kind of. A spacer suspension lift (not body lift) on ifs/irs will give you some more ground clearance (and improve approach/break over etc.) pretty much everywhere except where the lower control arms meet the steering knuckle. You will gain more clearance where the lower control arm meets the sub frame as they will be at a steeper angel. (Assuming no diff drop/sub frame drop) and usually allow larger tires which are the only true way to lift the entire vehicle, regardless or suspension setup.

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems to me the only thing that will increase the space under the diff is bigger tires.
That's my take away. Which makes me wonder on the Tremor if it's really the full difference they state.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's my take away. Which makes me wonder on the Tremor if it's really the full difference they state.
I mean, the entire point of a lift seems to be to make space for taller tires. I'm not an off roader type guy but the space under the diff is the important part.

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This thread may have made me rethink the entire Tremor vs FX4, 4k and the upgraded tires. I don't think they did anything to get the differential case up. I'd rather have the cooling and tow capacity than a dual clutch I don't need and a lift that is mostly tires and the rest questionable...

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am new to the lift kit side of things. I have been doing enough research to be dangerous. I have seen where there are spacer lift kits, and suspension kits. While spacer lifts tend to be cheaper, I have read different things (especially across different vehicles) if they actually give you more ground clearance. So if I went with an affordable 1" to 1.5" spacer kit, how much extra clearance would I actually get. Gauging getting a Tremor (which is really about 0.75" lift due to the rest being in the tires) vs. FX4 with 4x and doing a modest lift.

Thanks for walking a noob through on this.
If it doesn't drop the suspension arms by an inch from if we assume lowest point then no. But like it anything else it depends how you define the ground clearance.

Technically the lowest point besides the tires will be where the rim connects to the axle. Only way to get a true 1 inch clearance is a bigger tire and rim with an increased overall diameter of 2 inches. The lift which does improve other things like approach and departure angles will more likely be needed to accommodate the bigger tire and rim.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ground clearance as defined by the SAE, and specified on all new car specs is based on the center line of the vehicle. So yes adding a 1-inch spacer or lift kit would give you 1-inch additional ground clearance.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True, But getting a little extra body clearance with a spacer kit can't hurt
Sponsored