Sponsored

Why no grab handle above the driver side window?

Richard D

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did anyone ever check to see if threaded holes are under there? I find myself grabbing the A pillar every time I get in, I’ll probably wear the paint out in the next 20 years…
Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought this would drive me nuts because it did on my Tacoma and I had to buy a 3rd party one, but it hasn't bugged me one bit on the Maverick. I guess because it's lower. I actually have to duck to get in and out.

Mikeetch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Alto Blue XLT Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Perhaps so you will keep both hands on the wheel in States that have laws requiring both hands on the wheel?

That's a law in some states? What if you own a manual?

whizwart

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order placed for a 2024 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
whole article on this: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/641640/real-reason-cars-have-grab-handles-above-doors

"As for why the driver’s door often lacks a grab handle, there are a few possible reasons. For one, Nodum.org points out, the steering wheel can function as a makeshift grab handle, and it would also block your path if you were to raise or lower yourself into (or out of) the car via a grab handle above the window. Plus, drivers inclined to grab the handle while driving would be steering with just one hand, which could be a safety concern."

Sponsored

Mavrilous

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick hybrid, Kia Seltos, 2009 Cr-v
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think I've ever used it myself in my previous vehicles, but I wonder why Ford didn't include a grab handle above the driver side window, if for nothing else, to give a balanced look to the interior. I haven't gotten my truck yet so maybe the pictures from the 360 degree view is not accurate. Can anyone confirm?
1640192107569.png

1640192181935.png
Yeah was thinking of installing a ceiling net then realized the Maverick only have 3 grab handles...so much for that idea.

AnnieWaits

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did anyone ever check to see if threaded holes are under there? I find myself grabbing the A pillar every time I get in, I’ll probably wear the paint out in the next 20 years…
Funny you mention that. I'm pretty sure there aren't threaded holes for screws to secure the grab handles above any of the four doors. I know this because the one above my front passenger door felt loose, and something over there is rattling, so I decided I'd try to tighten the screws that they obviously didn't finish tightening at the factory.

I popped off the plastic covers to discover that the front passenger handle is secured by metal spring clips. No adjustment appears possible. I'm assuming the ones in the rear are the same.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does seem like an obvious omission.
Sponsored