Sponsored

Who Has Replaced Their OEM Battery With an Aftermarket Model?

Gschaef

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems the Battery System Management (BSM) is one of the biggest frustrations with the EcoBoost engine. It can cause issues with the battery holding a charge, interior lights not coming on, disabling start/stop functions, not starting, etc. There are many informative posts on this forum about what might be causing it and what might fix it like changing settings in Forscan, but there is no real answer and Ford isn't talking. Some dealers have said owners are not driving their vehicles enough and should connect trickle chargers.

So I would like to ask the following:
- Who has replaced their OEM battery with an aftermarket model
- What aftermarket battery did you purchase and how long have you had it
- Did the new battery fix the BSM issues you were having
- About how often do you drive your vehicle each week

Just wondering if an aftermarket battery might be the most expensive but best long term solution at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ndmiller

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Azure Blue Metallic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought that was hybrids having that issue, not EcoBoost.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Deep sleep issue is with the hybrids. However, some ECO boost Mavs are having battery issues, such as not hold their charge.

BillR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the hybrid model and just did what this person here on the forum did:
Advance Auto DieHard Gold exclusively for the Maverick Hybrid.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/hybrid-12v-battery-replacement.28921/

Increasingly would go into sleep mode (no lights inside and message on Ford App and battery and under hood terminal would be often below 12 volts and around 11.7-11.9 volts. (Had the battery cable recall done previously) Also experiencing clicking off and on more and more frequently. Has been 3 days and so far working fine and voltage staying around 12.25 under hood and at the battery and frequent clicking has stopped. A friend of mine was having the same issue with his Maverick Hybrid and we just replaced his this afternoon with the DieHard Gold. Yes should be under warranty but hearing all the complaints around BMS and battery issues decided to buy a different one.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
12.25 voltages seem low to me. This translates to around 60% charge capacity.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A few Hybrid owners state Forscan shows the Hybrid thinks it has an AGM battery installed.

Some have tried to tweak the software.

Anyone just replace with an actual AGM battery?

OP
OP

Gschaef

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought that was hybrids having that issue, not EcoBoost.
You are right. I missed removing that before I posted and have made an edit. Thanks. The BSM tries to manage voltage control and will not let the battery charge over a certain percent to extend battery life. That, along with battery drain, can cause the BSM to start limiting power that can affect interior lights, auto start/stop function and climate controls. And in some cases it can cause issues with starting the engine. There are other threads about this that go into greater detail but I wanted to get specific about whether after market battery takes care of this.

ndmiller

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Azure Blue Metallic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on what I've read here there are a lot of issues related to letting the trucks sit or driving for short trips only including batteries and oil (fuel and/or moisture). Not tying to oversimplify or justify other Ford related BMS or other sub standard or defective batteries, but people need to get out and drive their trucks........Especially after waiting year(s) to get them. Let Ford get their stuff together but don't be part of the problem..;)

Already planned for our Maverick to be part of my commute to work as one daughter will learn on it (can't drive alone for another year), while the other will use when back from college a couple months during the year.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only fix for my EB going into deep sleep every 2 days was suggested at the dealer after the 3rd visit with no fix was suggested by a Tech. “Remove the app completely from phone and iPad and see what happens. “ Deep sleep and No interior lights hasn’t returned even with sitting for 2 weeks!
9months later, yes I kinda miss the remote start and lock and tire pressures with the app but it’s better than the alternative! I let the dealer know and they had nothing to suggest to get the remote features (that I paid for!!) back on line.

Sometimes you eat the bear…. Sometimes the bear eats you!

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder what the end game is here ? You'd think by now Ford would issue a TSB....

Has anyone tried removing FordPass ? I know you also might need to disable all connectivity from within the truck settings screen.

Some have even removed the TCU fuse.

If the whole connectivity system is main contributor to these issues, I doubt we will ever see a fix. Heck maybe those with more issues have a weak 4g signal causing the modem to draw more power ?

Sponsored

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder what the end game is here ? You'd think by now Ford would issue a TSB....

Has anyone tried removing FordPass ? I know you also might need to disable all connectivity from within the truck settings screen.

Some have even removed the TCU fuse.

If the whole connectivity system is main contributor to these issues, I doubt we will ever see a fix. Heck maybe those with more issues have a weak 4g signal causing the modem to draw more power ?
See post above yours re removing FordPass

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
See post above yours re removing FordPass
I see. So just removed FordPass from phone and that's it ?
If that worked, great though if you don't turn off connectivity inside the truck, its still connected... Regardless, congrats. I'm close to getting rid of the app and switching some settings inside.

Remote start, yeah it be nice to have. All other features, I have zero cares about.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see. So just removed FordPass from phone and that's it ?
If that worked, great though if you don't turn off connectivity inside the truck, its still connected... Regardless, congrats. I'm close to getting rid of the app and switching some settings inside.

Remote start, yeah it be nice to have. All other features, I have zero cares about.
Yeah, I turned off the truck’s connections too

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before I remove the app, I prefer using trickle charger. I do have the advantage of a heated garage. :)

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It seems the Battery System Management (BSM) is one of the biggest frustrations with the EcoBoost engine. It can cause issues with the battery holding a charge, interior lights not coming on, disabling start/stop functions, not starting, etc. There are many informative posts on this forum about what might be causing it and what might fix it like changing settings in Forscan, but there is no real answer and Ford isn't talking. Some dealers have said owners are not driving their vehicles enough and should connect trickle chargers.

So I would like to ask the following:
- Who has replaced their OEM battery with an aftermarket model
- What aftermarket battery did you purchase and how long have you had it
- Did the new battery fix the BSM issues you were having
- About how often do you drive your vehicle each week

Just wondering if an aftermarket battery might be the most expensive but best long term solution at this point.
The battery in my ram lasted 9 years,I'm hoping the same for my maverick. Factory battery is under 3 year warranty from ford,I would hope you wouldn't purchase another battery at least until the warranty is up!
Sponsored