Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 07 Sky RL, 04 S2000, 07 Jeep CRD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am always so surprised with how many people actually like adaptive cruise control. I do a lot of highway driving. And honestly I think its about as irritating as cheesy dual climate control. If i set my speed to 70. I want to go 70. I dont want to descretly slow down to 65 because of the vehicle infront of me. And sometimes not realize that it decreased my speed. Then once I realize, I have to then speed up, pass, and reset the cruise control. Not a fan. But from what I have been reading on here, a lot of people seem to love it.

THIS! I hate when I get a rental and I'm using cruise control on the freeway and realize that ACC has slowed me down considerably. I want to keep my speed, get up near the guy in front of me and pass, without changing speed. What happens is I don't realize it's slowed me down, and the guy I passed awhile back has now passed me.

I also don't care for dual climate control. We never use it and it's just more shit to break.
Sponsored

PNWMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am always so surprised with how many people actually like adaptive cruise control. I do a lot of highway driving....
We had a rental with ACC and it was neat until it locked up the brakes going down the freeway.

Why? There was a person driving at a high rate of speed, weaving in and out of cars. He cut in front of us close enough that ACC thought we were going to hit him so it slammed the brakes. Completely uncalled for and damn near caused an accident.

It was also sensitive enough on the default setting to detect a car a 100 yards away and start to slow itself.

Reactions: F50

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am always so surprised with how many people actually like adaptive cruise control. I do a lot of highway driving. And honestly I think its about as irritating as cheesy dual climate control. If i set my speed to 70. I want to go 70. I dont want to descretly slow down to 65 because of the vehicle infront of me. And sometimes not realize that it decreased my speed. Then once I realize, I have to then speed up, pass, and reset the cruise control. Not a fan. But from what I have been reading on here, a lot of people seem to love it.
RE: Adaptive cruise = I just started using mine [3k miles on hybrid Mav] in stop and go traffic that is the norm on SoCal freeways. It takes a lot of the mundane out of the commute. I do pay attention, I don't play on my phone.

So far, it failed to recognize from a complete stop, when traffic ahead starting moving again and that was one time. I have no idea why but I rather have that than the opposite. Maybe I didn't wait for the brake hold to disengage?

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was a '23 now a '24 Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RE: Adaptive cruise = I just started using mine [3k miles on hybrid Mav] in stop and go traffic that is the norm on SoCal freeways. It takes a lot of the mundane out of the commute. I do pay attention, I don't play on my phone.

So far, it failed to recognize from a complete stop, when traffic ahead starting moving again and that was one time. I have no idea why but I rather have that than the opposite. Maybe I didn't wait for the brake hold to disengage?
It will only hold you a given number of seconds (I am going to guess about 15 or so and then it will flash “Stopped” on the dash and put on the brakes. This means it is waiting for you to press the resume button when traffic starts moving again.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have/had several other nice vehicles. The Maverick XLT with some options ($23,870+tax) was a bargain. Love the handling, 42-47 mpg, and comfort, but for me, a Lariat at $34-$36,000 just is not worth the extra $11,000+...I'd look at several other brands. So far Carana's would still buy my XLT for what I paid for it 2 1/2 yrs ago.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It will only hold you a given number of seconds (I am going to guess about 15 or so and then it will flash “Stopped” on the dash and put on the brakes. This means it is waiting for you to press the resume button when traffic starts moving again.
RE: Only hold/stop a few seconds, then requires my input = That makes sense. My attention was not drawn to a "stopped" dash light so I will look for it the next time. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
THIS! I hate when I get a rental and I'm using cruise control on the freeway and realize that ACC has slowed me down considerably.
I agree. The ACC works so seamlessly that unless you are constantly looking at the speedometer, you really don't know how much you've slowed down behind someone.

HRG

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We had a rental with ACC and it was neat until it locked up the brakes going down the freeway.

Why? There was a person driving at a high rate of speed, weaving in and out of cars. He cut in front of us close enough that ACC thought we were going to hit him so it slammed the brakes. Completely uncalled for and damn near caused an accident.

It was also sensitive enough on the default setting to detect a car a 100 yards away and start to slow itself.
I wondered about this too, but in my limited experience of using it so far it seems to figure out quite quickly if the car that cut in is gaining distance or closing in. If it figures out the cut in vehicle is moving faster it slows at a reasonable rate to open the gap to the setting you have it currently at.

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As you approach the vehicle doing 70 do your mirror and shoulder check, if safe to do so put on the turn signal and change lanes and your vehicle will stay at your set speed! No different then doing it with your foot on the gas?

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I ordered my 2022 the XLT Lux was the sweet spot. I really wanted heated mirrors and heated seats, so I pretty much had no choice. The only thing I really really wish I had was push button start, but I wasn't stepping up that much in price for that one important feature.

Sponsored

Carlitos_92

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 XLT EB AWD Lux FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As you approach the vehicle doing 70 do your mirror and shoulder check, if safe to do so put on the turn signal and change lanes and your vehicle will stay at your set speed! No different then doing it with your foot on the gas?
You are exactly right, but my response would be that I already do that with "regular" cruise control. My foot is not on the gas, either way - but with the less-complicated cruise, there is zero risk of me slowing down for no reason. Driving properly, I'd be paying attention to the traffic in front of me in both cases. So why do I need a radar unit in my grille? :)

Don't get me wrong, I've already said I'd probably spend some time with the ACC system and grow to love it - or maybe just tolerate it, like I do the auto-hold feature... not fully sold on that one just yet.

When I ordered my 2022 the XLT Lux was the sweet spot. I really wanted heated mirrors and heated seats, so I pretty much had no choice. The only thing I really really wish I had was push button start, but I wasn't stepping up that much in price for that one important feature.
We are on the same page. (y)

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are exactly right, but my response would be that I already do that with "regular" cruise control. My foot is not on the gas, either way - but with the less-complicated cruise, there is zero risk of me slowing down for no reason. Driving properly, I'd be paying attention to the traffic in front of me in both cases. So why do I need a radar unit in my grille? :)

Don't get me wrong, I've already said I'd probably spend some time with the ACC system and grow to love it - or maybe just tolerate it, like I do the auto-hold feature... not fully sold on that one just yet.

We are on the same page. (y)
As I get older I seem to be less in a hurry so sometimes I am content to tuck in to the right lane and go with the flow so long as it’s close to or just over the speed limit. I am not as inclined to hold the peddle to the metal and play leap frog with the inpatient drivers in the passing lane. Now, I can take my foot off the gas and brake, keep my hands on the wheel just enough that the truck knows I am there, and let the truck do the work for a while. I only wish I had these options when I was on the road for work. I used to drive for 8 hours some days to get to the next site.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At the end of the day it's worth whatever the buyer is willing to spend. Early on, there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over dealer markups with claims of price gouging. With constrained supply, high prices preserved that limited supply for people who really, really wanted the truck RFN. It's the buyer's money to spend.

The other aspect to consider is that when supply was short and dealers had empty lots, they had to make up revenue on lost volume with higher prices. They can't stay in business losing money and nobody was forcing anybody to buy off the lot and pay the markups. All you needed was a little patience.

For me,. the spec in my sig line was where the value was at. When I first started pricing mavs my builds were north of $40k. Since it was a custom order I had the time learn about every feature and think about what it was worth to me.

The more I looked the more I realized I had no desire for the lux features so it went from lariat lux to standard XLT with some add ons. It knocked the price down by quite a bit and for the first time in my life I had a vehicle with everything I needed and nothing I didn't need. It was really about coming to terms with what was worth spending extra to get. That control was very satisfying to this day.

Love my mav and I wound up with a truck that has features you couldn't touch on any other truck for over $10k less.

Blinky

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiesta ST, 1991 Toyota Dyna
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really don't understand the auto-hold. Compared to manual transmissions automatics are already so easy and mindless to drive, is it really too much effort for someone to leave their foot in place after coming to a stop?

Someone help me understand what am I missing that makes this such an essential feature?

OP
OP
F50

F50

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really don't understand the auto-hold. Compared to manual transmissions automatics are already so easy and mindless to drive, is it really too much effort for someone to leave their foot in place after coming to a stop?

Someone help me understand what am I missing that makes this such an essential feature?
I love this feature. Its great in traffic. Also when going through a drive through. Instead of having to hold your foot on the brake, it allows you to rest your foot. Then when your ready to go, just put your foot on the gas and your car will disengage the brake. One way to reduce driver fatigue. I leave it on most of the time.
Sponsored