Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Bought some “official” Ford wheel locks, installed them yesterday.
Can’t help but notice how far they stick out from the wheel. Seems that a determined thief could get the jaws of some vice-grips around them.
Anyone else buy these? Did I get the wrong lugs?

Ford Maverick Wheel locks installed 651F8409-FC86-4D1A-A842-F6252A96E327

Ford Maverick Wheel locks installed D6274FEA-4FF9-4872-9049-AA4D9D8AE0C0
Sponsored

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably the right ones. I had the same kind on my Mustang. What ever you do don’t use an impact gun on them or your screwed.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They do stick out to far. I bought Gorilla locks and they don’t stick out as far. You need to measure the lug nut. Gorilla makes different length locks.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That does look odd. Honestly, the Lariat wheels are nothing special. I'm not even concerned about the off chance they get stolen. Would give me an excuse to get some better looking ones.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Bought some “official” Ford wheel locks, installed them yesterday.
Can’t help but notice how far they stick out from the wheel. Seems that a determined thief could get the jaws of some vice-grips around them.
Anyone else buy these? Did I get the wrong lugs?

651F8409-FC86-4D1A-A842-F6252A96E327.jpeg

D6274FEA-4FF9-4872-9049-AA4D9D8AE0C0.jpeg
For anyone else looking to buy wheel locks I really wouldn't bother with the Ford locks, you'll find much better options in the aftermarket. These would be much better if they did not stick out as far and did not have as much room around the outside of the lock and the inside diameter of the area where the lugnut seats on the wheel itself. They make a universal wheel lock remover that has a conical inside shape and gets hammered onto the wheel lock basically wedging it on with one good strike. This lock could easily be removed in under a minute with that tool or probably any of the universal wheel lock tools they make.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That does look odd. Honestly, the Lariat wheels are nothing special. I'm not even concerned about the off chance they get stolen. Would give me an excuse to get some better looking ones.
They kinda make me think of big cartoony teeth. I really like these 17" AWD/4KTow wheels better.
Ford Maverick Wheel locks installed 1644850745259
Ford Maverick Wheel locks installed 1644850717748

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wheel locks in general are a joke and only a hinderance to the owner and potentially a tire shop
Wheel thieves don’t bat an eye when they see them
First thing I did was take mine off and throw them in the trash
I guess it would keep your neighbors kid from taking them, but it’s very unlikely anyone is going to be out stealing Maverick wheels
Hell they’d have to find one first!

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish I would have seen this thread before I installed mine. I have the XLT wheels and the locks look the same as yours and stick out like crazy. I have never seen these badly designed wheel locks. On top of the bad look, the key of those wheel locks need a slightly bigger wrench size than the actual lug nuts. Why the hell do they design these parts so crappy?

Angry Hippo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hot Pepper Red, FX4, 4k Tow
Regardless of what type of item you're securing this fundamental truth exists - most locks and safety mechanisms aren't designed to stop a determined thief. They're designed to stop crimes of opportunity, little more.

Wheel locks won't stop professional auto thieves but they will make the average sleazebag coveting your wheels think twice.

Denver, CO happens to have the highest rate of auto theft in the country. When I lived in that city my neighbor's wheels were stolen while parked in his car port. Crooks left his Monte Carlo sitting on a single block with no regard for the poor car's paneling or body.

Who knows if wheel locks would have helped him, but anything you can do to make a crook's life harder is a good thing in my book.

OP
OP
Larrythelunatic

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wish I would have seen this thread before I installed mine. I have the XLT wheels and the locks look the same as yours and stick out like crazy. I have never seen these badly designed wheel locks. On top of the bad look, the key of those wheel locks need a slightly bigger wrench size than the actual lug nuts. Why the hell do they design these parts so crappy?
I bought the Gorilla nuts from Amazon. Returned the “Ford” OEMs. Big difference. Even has a shiny head, instead of the
“flower” head. Small investment. Better than nothing.
Sponsored