M-C Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why are you terrified about the hinge? The tailgate - and it's hinge - is rated at 500lbs in the fully down position, so you'd likely be fine there, unless you have to move some monster, concrete based sofa. Personally I'd have thrown a strap over the top as well, but that's just me. Hopefully OP slapped the load and said "that's not going anywhere" after tightening it down 😂

Upgrade your straps if you'd like, but I've used all kinds and haven't had any issues with HF ratchet or cam straps. And if you'll being carrying long, heavy items often, you can always invest in a hitch extender to alleviate some of your concerns.
Absolutely! The one time you don’t say it is the time where it DOES go somewhere you don’t want it to go. I probably could have added another strap near the cab, but it was held down pretty well by the other half of the couch (out of view in the picture). I wouldn’t have wanted to travel across the state with it like that, though.
Sponsored

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm more of a give the load a firm wobble and a "she'll be alright" kinda guy.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ve heard many comments about the bed and how it’s too short to be of any real use, that it’s not a real truck bed, etc. Today I loaded a 9’ sectional couch (both parts) in the back, drove it 20 miles (half freeway, half city), and got an average of 35 mpg. I could have taken 4 passengers along as well. Show me another non-EV vehicle that can do better.

96FA7471-ACD1-4A47-8409-AD197DD990A1.jpeg
Looks like that's working for you but I've found a lightweight 4' x 8' tilting trailer to be damned handy easy to load, you can move it around like a big wheelbarrow. and you can take your time unloading it.
But yeah! the things you can do with a short bed!

OP
OP

M-C Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like that's working for you but I've found a lightweight 4' x 8' tilting trailer to be damned handy easy to load, you can move it around like a big wheelbarrow. and you can take your time unloading it.
But yeah! the things you can do with a short bed!
Yep, that’ll be a future purchase at some point.
Sponsored