Sponsored

Test Drove a XLT AWD 4k Tow the good and bad!

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Got to drive an XLT AWD yesterday...two things come to mind.
The cloth seats are hard I would not want to drive 500 miles and the seat cut into the back of legs, that could be an adjustment but the hard seats can't...maybe time will soften them up
Can anyone confirm whether the Lariat seats are softer?

Also, I heard the engine a lot winding up and down...Coming in from the feet area

The good., ....its a rocket lol, yea its no slouch and it was actually hard not to jackrabbit start and I'm sure through time I would learn the feel of the throttle and get better gas mileage, but I can't see above 20-21mpg in stop and go but remember this has the Tow package and different gearing
And it rides nice for a Truck..I would consider it more of an SUV ride which I'm fine with

Another bad... MPG never got better than 20-21mpg in the 8 miles I drove it(I saw more 18-19mpg) where the Bronco Sport stayed in the 28 mpg range pushing up to 32mpg in a 45 mph area on the same drive

More later as I let it all sink in
It does have me questioning my XL AWD 4k Tow build and whether take a chance and wait for my Lariat Hybrid or go looking for a low mileage 2WD Toyota Tacoma since the MPG is about the same as 2.0 ecoboost, If I didn't need a truck once in a while for yard stuff I would get the Bronco Sport(I don't remember the seats being hard)
Stuff to think about but I'm sure I probably can't live with 20mpg in a base truck over my current Cowboy Cadillac even at 13.7 mpg, I probably had my hopes up to much on the XL 2WD getting 24-26mpg and then I could live with it......But those seats...boy they are hard and uncomfortable for a FORD
Sponsored

AdventureSetterland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The cloth seats are hard I would not want to drive 500 miles and the seat cut into the back of legs, that could be an adjustment but the hard seats can't...maybe time will soften them up

Also, I heard the engine a lot winding up and down...Coming in from the feet area

The good., ....its a rocket lol, yea its no slouch and it was actually hard not to jackrabbit start and I'm sure through time I would learn the feel of the throttle and get better gas mileage, but I can't see above 20-21mpg in stop and go but remember this has the Tow package and different gearing
And it rides nice for a Truck..I would consider it more of an SUV ride which I'm fine with

Another bad... MPG never got better than 20-21mpg in the 8 miles I drove it(I saw more 18-19mpg) where the Bronco Sport stayed in the 28 mpg range pushing up to 32mpg in a 45 mph area on the same drive

It does have me questioning my XL AWD 4k Tow build and whether take a chance and wait for my Lariat Hybrid or go looking for a low mileage 2WD Toyota Tacoma since the MPG is about the same as 2.0 ecoboost, If I didn't need a truck once in a while for yard stuff I would get the Bronco Sport(I don't remember the seats being hard)
Stuff to think about but I'm sure I probably can't live with 20mpg in a base truck over my current Cowboy Cadillac even at 13.7 mpg, I probably had my hopes up to much on the XL 2WD getting 24-26mpg and then I could live with it......But those seats...boy they are hard and uncomfortable for a FORD
If you are following the lie-o-meter for MPG, it is not an accurate representation of what you are actually getting once you are up to speed and cruising.

OP
OP
CASD57

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Well I'm basing it on my needs....My work is 14.5 miles round trip daily stop and go.......... Others who have more 45+ mph stretches will see better mpg..
I'll probably be lucky to see the 22mpg rating.
And of course there will probably be a 1-2mpg +/- from computer to actual(Stop and Go Traffic) so the 22mpg is in sight.
But what I found out is what you see is what you get... because it's not magically going to be 24-26mpg for me and my driving needs it's going to be 20-23mpg most likely

You have to remember I've been on this boat since my order 6/9 I really want this truck..I ordered two!
But I'm seeing that it's got to be the Hybrid or something else... But the fun factor it's there:) it's fast !!

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
8 to 9 miles of driving isn't a good indicator of MPG.
Also was it city stop and go, HWY or a mix, that you experienced.
I was going to post something similiar. Also, HOW you drive plays a part.

My daily driver is 2.5 turbo and it moves!! I can easily coast on the interstate and city, and average about 27mpg.

Sponsored

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
Well I'm basing it on my needs....My work is 14.5 miles round trip daily stop and go.......... Others who have more 45+ mph stretches will see better mpg..
I'll probably be lucky to see the 22mpg rating.
And of course there will probably be a 1-2mpg +/- from computer to actual(Stop and Go Traffic) so the 22mpg is in sight.
But what I found out is what you see is what you get... because it's not magically going to be 24-26mpg for me and my driving needs it's going to be 20-23mpg most likely

You have to remember I've been on this boat since my order 6/9 I really want this truck..I ordered two!
But I'm seeing that it's got to be the Hybrid or something else... But the fun factor it's there:) it's fast !!
If MPG is the key factor and you city drive, stick with the Hybrid model. No need to settle and you can still get the truck you want at a decent price.

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, at only 14.5 miles round trip. I'd have opted for the hybrid.

I ordered a FWD ECO. My real world expectations are 27/28 mpg on avg.

And as @James St. Patrick says, it has a lot to do with a person's driving style. I find myself hypermiling in vehicles that aren't hybrids now.😆

OP
OP
CASD57

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Well like I said... the MPG is based on my inexperience with the throttle...stop and go and my daily drive.
I'm sure with more interstat in there..the MPG will be a lot better, But thats not where this truck will live...
Also the Seats are one step up from a park bench :)... They are not comfortable and hard.. not Fords normal soft.
Hopefull the Active-X are softer

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I don't remember which YouTube video it was but someone who just received their XLT made the comment that the seats were soft and comfortable. Guess everyone has a different opinion on soft and hard.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2016 Escape, AWD, 2.0 gets 22 mpg in town and 28mpg on the road; expect to get about the same or better (6spd vs 8spd trans) with 2.0 Maverick

Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Can't speak to milage as I haven't driven one, but I've sat in a lariat and an XLT and found the seats were very comfortable. To each their own I suppose.

OP
OP
CASD57

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I don't remember which YouTube video it was but someone who just received their XLT made the comment that the seats were soft and comfortable. Guess everyone has a different opinion on soft and hard.
You are right.I saw and heard that also....u have to remember I'm coming from a Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond lol So I'm a little picky.
And I remember my 2011 Ford F150 Supercab was very comfortable.. These seats are not like that

Last edited:

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
****.....But those seats...boy they are hard and uncomfortable for a FORD
You're the first complaint I've seen/heard about the seats. I like a "firm" seat but you keep using the word "hard"....guess I will be able to decide for myself when my XL arrives in about 6 weeks or so. Don't plan on the Maverick as a long distance vehicle anyway so hoping I will be ok with it.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
My 2016 Escape, AWD, 2.0 gets 22 mpg in town and 28mpg on the road; expect to get about the same or better (6spd vs 8spd trans) with 2.0 Maverick
And my 2017 Escape 2.0l FWD averages a mix right around 21 but my wife and I are both lead foots.

As has been mentioned, the driver makes a HUGE, HUGE difference on MPG.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Lariat seats are very comfortable although pretty narrow. XLT seats are fine but the rear bench was pretty stiff compared to the cushier Active/X seats
Sponsored