First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually Henry Ford didn't invent the assembly line concept he just adapted the concept to building a car and proceed to kick ass with it!
In reality - In his book Henry Ford admitted he did not invent the assembly line but visited a large meat processing plant with a conveyor belt assembly line of meat cutters. One person made one or two cuts and it was passed on to another person(s). Ten to 15 people could not work on a Model A at the same time. In his Model A plant each employee was an expert in installing a component and passed (pushed) the rest of the car on to the next stage...whole premise was breaking each assembly step in to X seconds and they quickly increased production.

If interested: (Porsche assembly line in my first tour in 1989 - not a robot in sight until 7 or 8 yrs ago.)

Porsche Factory Tour - LewisandClark (smugmug.com)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still not getting flimsy from your Observation. I think all top trims are a rip off. I am buying for value and wish they could strip more off.
I never said "flimsey", don't see it that way at all. What attracted me to the Maverick will be the simplicity, 40 mpg but my dog insisted on a moon-roof and I consider 360 pkg (it was a bargain for what Ford charged for it) a needed safety feature when backing up and changing lanes. Ordered XLT as a bare minimum with a couple decent resale features...Once bought a used 1998 Ford Ranger with Roll Up Windows....liked to have never sold it...won't make that mistake again.

Last edited:

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never said "flimsey", don't see it that way at all. What attracted me to the Maverick will be the simplicity, 40 mpg but my dog insisted on a moon-roof and I consider 360 pkg (it was a bargain for what Ford charged for it) a needed safety feature when backing up and changing lanes. Ordered XLT as a bare minimum with a couple decent resale features...Once bought a used 1998 Ford Ranger with Roll Up Windows....liked to have never sold it...won't make that mistake again.
I quoted you by mistake. Someone else called the Maverick flimsy. But I can’t argue with your picks

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Can you be more specific to what feels flimsy ?

Assuming you meant "off" road? Keep in mind, the Mav version of "off-road" is gravel/dirt roads, not "true" off-road, as it relates to trails and such.
Yes, off road...I think as a on road highway commuter it should work fine. Anything more difficult than a Walmart parking lot with a few inches of snow should be avoided.

On the bright side, it should ride nice

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I quoted you by mistake. Someone else called the Maverick flimsy. But I can’t argue with your picks
I think you might have seen my comment. I own one so not trying to hit on it too hard. My observation is in comparison to my other vehicles, both are much more HD in every way. The Maverick is built more like a car, I think under 28k would be great value. I’m can now say say at 37k somewhat disappointed. Believe me I hope in time my mind changes. At this point in time I wish I made another decision. This is only my opinion, not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings.

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A few years ago I read a book about Honda. One thing that stood out was that they make their own robots and also make the robots for many other manufacturers, but they have less automation on their line than almost any other modern mass-manufactured car company. Their philosophy is that once you automate something you can't improve it (or at least it is much harder) and they rely on their line workers to come up with ways to improve the process over time. Instead of trying to eliminate the human element, they take advantage of the expertise that their workers develop over time.

I love watching these assembly line videos, but I always have that question in the back of my head: are they treating their workers as an obstacle to be eliminated over time, or as a valuable source of expertise that grows over time? I don't know much about Ford, but I'd love to learn more.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems as if the spot where the Welding looks bad at the front of the bed on the drivers side is a something they paint on possibly to cover a weld
I was thinking it maybe was a trigger mark so that the robots knew which program to follow - like hey do the maverick stuff on this one. Does the bronco have different marks?

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you might have seen my comment. I own one so not trying to hit on it too hard. My observation is in comparison to my other vehicles, both are much more HD in every way. The Maverick is built more like a car, I think under 28k would be great value. I’m can now say say at 37k somewhat disappointed. Believe me I hope in time my mind changes. At this point in time I wish I made another decision. This is only my opinion, not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings.
I don’t mind if you burn it to the ground, my feelings won’t get hurt. However, if you decide you don’t like it you can probably sell it back for MSRP.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A few years ago I read a book about Honda. One thing that stood out was that they make their own robots and also make the robots for many other manufacturers, but they have less automation on their line than almost any other modern mass-manufactured car company. Their philosophy is that once you automate something you can't improve it (or at least it is much harder) and they rely on their line workers to come up with ways to improve the process over time. Instead of trying to eliminate the human element, they take advantage of the expertise that their workers develop over time.

I love watching these assembly line videos, but I always have that question in the back of my head: are they treating their workers as an obstacle to be eliminated over time, or as a valuable source of expertise that grows over time? I don't know much about Ford, but I'd love to learn more.
I think the American worker is more likely to start testing newer ways of doing something where the japanese worker will say would it be better if we did it this other way first. Years ago, I believe that the japanese we're striking. Instead of not working and walking a picket line they continued working and wore arm bands color would show what they wanted or not. That way management knew how many wanted what.

Fx4hOok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks very heavily automated, and if so, why couldn't they build the plant here in the United States? The excuse is usually the "American labor rates are too high", but it doesn't seem super labor intensive, and with automation like that the jobs it creates would be decently high paying desirable ones to program and maintain that sophisticated equipment.
Because they will ship this truck to Brazil and Argentina, making it cheaper to export there than from the US.

XLTLUXA51

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650r, Suzuki SX4, Buell blast 500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking it maybe was a trigger mark so that the robots knew which program to follow - like hey do the maverick stuff on this one. Does the bronco have different marks?
I honestly have no idea
Sponsored