Sponsored

Truck tent

bosun120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element
That's a great value alternative to an RTT, with some nice customization benefits! I had an RTT on my F150, but I think I may go this route for the Mav.

Thanks for the post & ideas!
What's also great about this idea is that you have options, you can either set it up as a RTT, or take it down and leave it on the ground as a base camp. Plus the cost is like 1/3 of even the cheapest RTTs.

The only thing I would be worried about is securing a $450 tent when not in use, but I guess you could throw it in the back seat and/or get a tonneau cover.
Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

bosun120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element
Got this exact tent for $339.99 off wayfair good deal $100 cheaper then Amazon 👍

https://www.wayfair.com/KampRite--K...MIrKeQporY-QIVrG1vBB0-kw13EAQYASABEgIHOfD_BwE
For those who have gotten the tent, could you help answer some of the previous questions (below) I posted in this thread?
  1. I'm a bit confused at using 2x4's with length 45.5" for the "platform" the tent legs rest on. The listed Maverick bed with is a little over 53", wouldn't that length be too narrow?
  2. Are the 2x4" resting in bed slots, like in the image below?
  3. How do you prevent the tent from sliding around or off the 2x4 "platform" pieces?
  4. Also, I see that your tent is shown with an additional fly attached. Is this included with the tent?
    https://kamprite.com/shop/tents/tri-fold-series/kamp-rite-double-tent-cot/
Ford Maverick Truck tent 2022-ford-maverick_100794610_m-

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just sharing this: I've looked at RTT's and the killer for me is setting up and taking down, getting in and out of a RTT in the middle of the night.... I ordered this MOGICS tent prior to getting the Maverick. Transitioning from lengthy motorcycle tent camping I have gone to this for the Maverick, mostly for being able to stand up and lay down full length. So far once tent is setup I can unload and load everything back into the Mav's tailgate from inside the tent, even out of the rain. Tailgate folds down into the tent opening.

Ford Maverick Truck tent 1661374484673

It is 10 minutes to set up. I hate crawling in and out of a tent, so this tent is 5'10" tall (if memory is right width and length is 6 1/2 by 6 1/2, so standing up and lying down to sleep and getting in and out of it is all standing up and walking into either door. Windows zip up for privacy and a degree of security (out of sight out of mind), but if I leave a campsite, valuables are tossed into the trunk tailgate. Tailgate is my stove top and it's out of the rain. Mosquito proof fabric screen windows and comes with a rain fly to keep out rain. Plenty of view all around but zip up mosquito netting or full window fabric zips up. If windy, it includes some tie-down straps and stakes just like a regular tent has.

The tent back door folds down on top of my tonneau and is held down with a very strong magnetic rope, pretty much eliminating paint scratches, so I can reach in and out of the tail gate to retrieve "stuff" out of the bed, and the tailgate is the perfect height for a camp stove, electronics table. Or the cube tent can be totally independent from the vehicle and be setup all by itself with rope and stakes. I use the Maverick's 110v plug to power lights, USB charger, etc. Tent includes fitted outdoor carpet for the floor and I've added a strong LED lamp to a provided interior ceiling hook.

I use two Costco foam mattresses @ $40 each, and a comfortable camping chair. A tent on the ground provides a big plus as a place to hang-out at the end of the day, out of the sun, rain and mosquitoes, sitting at a table (tailgate) in a chair! I'd never make it with just a cot at bed time. The MOGICS has a lot more space than a RTT or bed tent to fit a chair and bed. Easily handles 2 or 3 people in floor space.

My trips are 5,000+/- miles over 2 weeks to a month....and often use a free or paid campsite with facilities, shower, bathrooms...and if needed electrical outlets...$14 to $40 a night. As with most Laptops, my laptop is also a TV, with WIFI. And if weather is really bad, I look for a motel anyway. Rain and wind so far have not been an issue, stakes and rain fly worked as intended. Since I have the tent in the back seat, bed has a 3-day ice chest for ice/food, drinks, 5-gallon Walley World water tank, and a Lithium battery power pack for 3 hrs. of electricity and recharge the battery pack from the 110V plug while driving the next day.

Probably the biggest negative is 10-15 minutes to roll tent back up and put back into the bag. Tent bag is round at 3'x3' 4" thick, so takes up minimal bed or backseat space. Folded, tent is about the size of a small suitcase. Tent easily fits in 1/2 of the back seat floor and back seat is covered with a $35 Costco pet proof seat cover. I keep the tent and clean camping gear secured in the back seat.

I hate the thought of getting out of a RTT in the middle of the night (to tinkle) several times.

Cost of tent was $289 and have no durability testing but 90% of the tents today are made some were in Asia. (China and Vietnam are the main manufacturers of all tents).

Thoughts verses RTT appreciated

Last edited:

bosun120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element
Just sharing this: I've looked at RTT's and the killer for me is setting up and taking down, getting in and out of a RTT in the middle of the night.... I ordered this MOGICS tent prior to getting the Maverick. Transitioning from lengthy motorcycle tent camping I have gone to this for the Maverick, mostly for being able to stand up and lay down full length. So far once tent is setup I can unload and load everything back into the Mav's tailgate from inside the tent, even out of the rain. Tailgate folds down into the tent opening.

1661374484673.png

It is 10 minutes to set up. I hate crawling in and out of a tent, so this tent is 5'10" tall (if memory is right width and length is 6 1/2 by 6 1/2, so standing up and lying down to sleep and getting in and out of it is all standing up and walking into either door. Windows zip up for privacy and a degree of security (out of sight out of mind), but if I leave a campsite, valuables are tossed into the trunk tailgate. Tailgate is my stove top and it's out of the rain. Mosquito proof fabric screen windows and comes with a rain fly to keep out rain. If windy, it includes some tie-down straps just like a tent has.

The tent back door folds down on top of my tonneau and is held down with a very strong magnetic rope, pretty much eliminating paint scratches, so I can reach in and out of the tail gate to retrieve "stuff" out of the bed, and the tailgate is the perfect height for a camp stove, electronics table. I use the Maverick's 110v plug to power lights, USB charger, etc. Tent includes fitted outdoor carpet for the floor and I've added a strong LED lamp to a provided interior ceiling hook. I use two Costco foam mattresses @ $40 each, and a comfortable camping chair. A tent on the ground provides a big plus as a place to hang-out at the end of the day, out of the sun and rain sitting at a table (tailgate) in a chair! I'd never make it with just a cot at bed time. The MOGICS is a lot more than a cot. Easily handles 2 or 3 people in floor space.

My trips are 5,000+/- miles over a 2 weeks to a month....and often use a free or paid campsite with facilities, shower, bathrooms...and if needed electrical outlets...$14 to $40 a night. As with most Laptops, my laptop is also a TV, with WIFI. And if weather is really bad, I look for a motel anyway. Since I have the tent in the back seat, bed has a 3-day ice chest for ice/food, drinks, 5-gallon Walley World water tank, and a Lithium battery power pack for 3 hrs. of electricity and recharge the battery pack from the 110V plug while driving the next day.

Probably the biggest negative is 10-15 minutes to roll tent back up and put back into the bag. Tent bag is round at 3'x3' 4" thick, so takes up minimal bed or backseat space. Folded, tent is about the size of a small suitcase. Tent easily fits in 1/2 of the back seat floor and back seat is covered with a $35 Costco pet proof seat cover. I keep the tent, and clean camping gear secured in the back seat.

I hate the thought of getting out of a RTT in the middle of the night (to tinkle) several times.

Cost of tent was $289 and have no durability testing but 90% of the tents today are made some were in Asia. This could be mounted above the bed with three 2x6's and a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood but setting up and taking down would be harder than setting up on the ground and take away valuable truck bed space and take away not crawling.

That might be fine for sunny/no wind weather, but I can imagine the fully vertical walls would be horrible for any type of inclement weather (think Death Valley or similar). There is a reason most (good) tents have some sort of sloping walls.

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those who have gotten the tent, could you help answer some of the previous questions (below) I posted in this thread?
  1. I'm a bit confused at using 2x4's with length 45.5" for the "platform" the tent legs rest on. The listed Maverick bed with is a little over 53", wouldn't that length be too narrow?
  3. How do you prevent the tent from sliding around or off the 2x4 "platform" pieces?
  4. Also, I see that your tent is shown with an additional fly attached. Is this included with the tent?
2022-ford-maverick_100794610_m-jpg.jpg
@bosun120

1 whatever the width is for your maverick bed so the 2x4’s fit in the slots like in image 2.

2 yes

3 the tent comes straps that anchor it to the vehicle (eg, the rims of your tires)

4 yes included.

protijy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2022-ford-maverick_100794610_m-jpg.jpg
1.) yup you were right who ever wrote 45.5” was wrong…. I was cutting 2x4s lastnjght. Cut the first one 45.5” and immediately knew it was too small….. I had to go back to the store and get 2 more 2x4s…. I ended up cutting them to 55” long and they fit nice and snug…

2.) yes into the 3 bed slots as shown.

3.) tent is pretty large and stable you’d have to be jumping around for it to slide. Also the straps that would normally be in tention under the tent Are strapped to the wheels.

4.)yes it comes with the rain fly.

protijy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was inspired by Eric Rupert who uses a Kamp Rite Tent Cot with his F150 instead of a (expensive) roof tent.

After some measuring it seemed the same double cot should just fit in the Maverick. And it did!

i have three 2x4’s in the bed (45.5” long) and the middle two feet of the cot rest on those. Then attach the straps to the tires.

I spend two days camping and so far it all works out well. I store all equipment under the 2x4’s. There is about 10” of room below the 2x4’s.There are plenty of bins that are 10” or less.

When folding up the tent it must be stored on the bottom of the Maverick bed otherwise you cannot close the tail gate. This is because the middle and top of the Maverick bed near the cabin have an extruded Ford logo that takes up about an inch making the tent not fit. But for me that is ok. I just store the folded up tent as the first item in the truck when packing up.

Such a fun truck!

642E07A8-2366-4578-BF15-915B98267757.jpeg
Can you edit this thread to say 2x4 length 55”? 45.5 was way too short….. it’s more like 54.75-55”

Sponsored

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Word of warning. This two person tent has a stiff rigid bar across the center lengthwise. Got a cheap knockoff version with different leg design ( didn’t work ) and the bar caused more problems than it’s usefulness for more space. My dog refused to stay in the tent and choose to sleep below the tent anyway.
When I do get the correct version with this leg design I want one without the middle bar.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I spend two days camping and so far it all works out well. I store all equipment under the 2x4’s. There is about 10” of room below the 2x4’s.There are plenty of bins that are 10” or less.
Very impressive! Where’s your Maverick video tour and brief tutorial?

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

1661374484673.png

It is 10 minutes to set up. I hate crawling in and out of a tent, so this tent is 5'10" tall (if memory is right width and length is 6 1/2 by 6 1/2, so standing up and lying down to sleep and getting in and out of it is all standing up and walking into either door. Windows zip up for privacy and a degree of security (out of sight out of mind), but if I leave a campsite, valuables are tossed into the trunk tailgate. Tailgate is my stove top and it's out of the rain. Mosquito proof fabric screen windows and comes with a rain fly to keep out rain. If windy, it includes some tie-down straps just like a tent has.

The tent back door folds down on top of my tonneau and is held down with a very strong magnetic rope, pretty much eliminating paint scratches, so I can reach in and out of the tail gate to retrieve "stuff" out of the bed, and the tailgate is the perfect height for a camp stove, electronics table. I use the Maverick's 110v plug to power lights, USB charger, etc. Tent includes fitted outdoor carpet for the floor and I've added a strong LED lamp to a provided interior ceiling hook. I use two Costco foam mattresses @ $40 each, and a comfortable camping chair. A tent on the ground provides a big plus as a place to hang-out at the end of the day, out of the sun and rain sitting at a table (tailgate) in a chair! I'd never make it with just a cot at bed time. The MOGICS is a lot more than a cot. Easily handles 2 or 3 people in floor space.

My trips are 5,000+/- miles over a 2 weeks to a month....and often use a free or paid campsite with facilities, shower, bathrooms...and if needed electrical outlets...$14 to $40 a night. As with most Laptops, my laptop is also a TV, with WIFI. And if weather is really bad, I look for a motel anyway. Since I have the tent in the back seat, bed has a 3-day ice chest for ice/food, drinks, 5-gallon Walley World water tank, and a Lithium battery power pack for 3 hrs. of electricity and recharge the battery pack from the 110V plug while driving the next day.

Probably the biggest negative is 10-15 minutes to roll tent back up and put back into the bag. Tent bag is round at 3'x3' 4" thick, so takes up minimal bed or backseat space. Folded, tent is about the size of a small suitcase. Tent easily fits in 1/2 of the back seat floor and back seat is covered with a $35 Costco pet proof seat cover. I keep the tent, and clean camping gear secured in the back seat.

Cost of tent was $289 and have no durability testing but 90% of the tents today are made some were in Asia. This could be mounted above the bed with three 2x6's and a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood but setting up and taking down would be harder than setting up on the ground and take away valuable truck bed space and take away not crawling.

Great write up! And better for multi day camping. Do see value in a standup bug free room when camping. First saw this tent a few years back and was not priced yet. Looked perfect for car camping in my Prius. Could go weeks with an enclosed room. Lol
https://www.elvesfactory.com/worldshop/EN/MSC
On the website it. States it uses the lift gate door for support, could you post how it is setup with just a Maverick tailgate. Based on your post and that this would work with either Maverick or my Prius.

Last edited:

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great write up! And better for multi day camping. Do see value in a standup bug free room when camping. First saw this tent a few years back and was not priced yet. Looked perfect for car camping in my Prius. Could go weeks with an enclosed room. Lol
https://www.elvesfactory.com/worldshop/EN/MSC
On the website it. States it uses the lift gate door for support, could you post how it is setup with just a Maverick tailgate. Based on your post and that this would work with either Maverick or my Prius.
It is real simple, the back part of the tent next to the vehicle is just one big flap, no windows. I just fold this flap over the top of the bed on top of my tonneau cover...the tent flap just lies on top of the tonneau with the tail gate down...and is held on to the Maverick with two very strong magnetic ropes that are held down to the metal sides and tailgate...I keep the tailgate open into the back door of the tent so I can access everthing without getting out of the tent.. The Mogic comes with long tie down straps and stakes that you can also set it up standalone just like any tent...very easy and stable in the wind when tied down with stakes.. plus I frequently leave the campsite in the Maverick and just l just close up all tent doors and windows and it's "out of sight out of mind" for thieves. All the Gogics doors and windows have a zip up mosquito netting...to to keep bugs out.

Roof top cot covered above in this thread would never make it for me...not having a place to hang out at the end of the day for 3 or 4 hrs out of the in hot sun, rain, bugs, etc. before going to bed...Rain is not an issue...Mogic comes with a good rain cover fly that attaches to the square tent....I've covered 100,000 miles on motorcycle trips in little tents for yrs, and I no longer enjoy squatting in a little 3' tall tent or putting on clothes while squatting...and getting up in the middle of the night a few times, I have a camp chair and camp table and propane stove and my Laptop picks up TV stations if i have wi-fi...the Mogic is 5'10" tall by 6x6 ft floor. I can easily sit in a chair and watch the TV off the tailgate. ....Maverick bed socket recharges the laptop and hanging lamp during day trips. Having a truck bed at the end of the tailgate makes having access to everything out of the bed...easier vs a motorcycle. I cook coffee, breakfast, etc off the tailgate from inside the tent. The Mogics is a cheap Chinese tent (but they all are), but if it last me a couple of seasons I'm still ahead for $260+-. If I were having to camp in a brutal rainstorm or 95 degree temperatures I would get a motel room.

Last edited:

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That might be fine for sunny/no wind weather, but I can imagine the fully vertical walls would be horrible for any type of inclement weather (think Death Valley or similar). There is a reason most (good) tents have some sort of sloping walls.
Have 4 high end tents....most have minor leaks, this one comes with a rain cover and a spring loaded device that keeps the top from being flat....if it looks like rain i put the rain-fly on...so far zero leaking. If I was in a heavy rain storm my dog would no doubt want me to stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
Sponsored

Last edited: