Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m sure this has been discussed but just found out. This news sucks. Can’t believe there’s no market for a small work van with AWD and Hybrid potential

apparently Promaster City and Metris also cancelled
Sponsored

mktmgrjrm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed - and the Transit Connect makes a great passenger van as well. If FORD had produced a hybrid Transit Connect I would be waiting for one of those instead of the Maverick.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed! Rather have a mini hybrid van over the Maverick. But with not being able to keep up with demand for the Maverick this makes some sense.
Could still happen, the need is there and the segment of possible crossover customers are not that great.
Likely this market will go to the Chinese EV vans that are popping up cheaply on the interwebs.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Canceled in the USA only it seems. It was the segment leader with only 26k units in 2022.
Didn't help that it's new home is maxed out with the Maverick and Bronco Sport.

Shadowfax

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2021 Transit Connect Titanium passenger van. It is an excellent vehicle. Unfortunately, besides being discontinued here in the US after this year, it's going to be a rebadged VW . An electric version will be offered, but not here.
I wouldn't buy a VW anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What I don't get is Metris and Promaster City are also cancelled. So no there's zero of these small commercial vans in production here now.

You need to get a wider bigger Transit or Sprinter if you want a small city work or passenger van. For me personally, the Transit Connect based on the Mav platform would have been ideal for a small city work truck fleet

Would also be an ideal micro RV

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m sure this has been discussed but just found out. This news sucks. Can’t believe there’s no market for a small work van with AWD and Hybrid potential

apparently Promaster City and Metris also cancelled
So here is the truth - it isn't what there is a market for. With manufactures' limiting supply and producing only the most profitable vehicles ( try to get a hybrid XL Maverick ) selling just about everything they make

We as consumers are being told - shut up peasants !!! take what we give you and be happy. Oh sure we'll take your order but you shall wait a year for us to tell you - no, have decided to not build your truck.

Were told - Here is this one for 75K and another one for 85K - Until folks quit paying 100K for every Ford Lightning built there is no reason to produce less expensive vehicles for Ford. Wonder why there hasn't been any competition for the Maverick ???? You think Toyota could have announced a small hybrid truck by now ??? Why would they when every 55K Tacoma is sold before it hits the lot ? This is the bigger picture.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if this is a CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency) issue? The required minimum MPG go up by about 1-2 MPG per year. All the small vans get around 25 MPG and have a footprint probably around 48-52 square feet (the Maverick is just shy of 53 square feet by my math). The MPG in the graph below is different than the EPA window sticker MPG (since the way it gets calculated changed a few times since CAFE came out) but all the vans are still way off. This means an additional $1k-$2k in tax per vehicle and that number goes up by about $500 per year. Since this tax is at the manufacturer's level, the end-buyer cost is probably twice that. That quickly makes these small vans not economically feasible to make. Much easier for the manufacturer to just increase the vehicle footprint (i.e., bigger van/truck/suv).

Ford Maverick Transit Connect Based Mav Platform Cancelled 1676226894063

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was interested in the Transit Connect when Ford first brought it to the U.S. At the time, Dodge sold a Grand Caravan for a lower price with a more powerful V6 engine, and I don't think the Transit Connect offered better fuel economy, so I didn't see its value proposition.

I think a true minivan based on the Maverick/Escape platform with a hybrid powertrain would be a huge success if priced below $30K. The carmakers obviously don't agree, but everyone except Ford and Hyundai missed the market for small pickup trucks.

I know that VW's minibus will be here "soon" but it has been "soon" for 5 or 10 years now and I'm not ready for an all-electric vehicle.

OP
OP

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can pre order the VW minibus soon but it won't have payload or tow ratings like the Mav platform. Isn't the minibus claim to fame and big draw for use camper and RV usage?

Who the hell would take an all electric vehicle on a long road trip????

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was hoping for a AWD TC but probably wont happen. As for small buisness vehicles, I think Ford will eventually build a chassis cab version of the maverick. In the builders guide it hinted that something other than the bed the gave us could be fitted to it. Perhaps there will be a cargo box version produced by a upfitter one day. A 5x5x5 cube sure would hold alot of tools, or parts, or flowers, or what have you. All while being usable for a family that has one vehicle and uses it for small business.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was hoping for a AWD TC but probably wont happen. As for small buisness vehicles, I think Ford will eventually build a chassis cab version of the maverick. In the builders guide it hinted that something other than the bed the gave us could be fitted to it. Perhaps there will be a cargo box version produced by a upfitter one day. A 5x5x5 cube sure would hold alot of tools, or parts, or flowers, or what have you. All while being usable for a family that has one vehicle and uses it for small business.
Well hell yeah. If they can do a chassis cab they can do a 2dr long bed for me.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well hell yeah. If they can do a chassis cab they can do a 2dr long bed for me.
While I would love the option. Technically most of the bulkhead is there to just remove the bed side panels. But a whole new bulkhead would have to be made. Unless they did a cutaway chassis like they do the E-series. That could work maybe. Cutaway chassis starting at $20k again like the Maverick was introduced would be a great way to pull in sales numbers when other small trucks start competing. And eventually run the segment just like they do with the F-series.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While I would love the option. Technically most of the bulkhead is there to just remove the bed side panels. But a whole new bulkhead would have to be made. Unless they did a cutaway chassis like they do the E-series. That could work maybe. Cutaway chassis starting at $20k again like the Maverick was introduced would be a great way to pull in sales numbers when other small trucks start competing. And eventually run the segment just like they do with the F-series.
how about a DIY kit? :ROFLMAO:

Ford Maverick Transit Connect Based Mav Platform Cancelled 1667237933846

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

how about a DIY kit?

1667237933846.png
Thats my initial thought minus the upright bed structure. Maybe if those structures are needed they could drop them down to just over wheel travel height. For a 2 door I was thinking more along these lines. With obvious frame differences of course.
Ford Maverick Transit Connect Based Mav Platform Cancelled 283c412c30c7f6bd6d2da298b7d3f711
Sponsored