Shane_T29

Shane_T29

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT w/ Lux Pkg & Tow Pkg
I’ve got the 17’ version of your camper, what drop did you use on your hitch?
Yours looks to be leveled.
Thanks
Nice, they are a great model of camper, we love it.

I have a standard 3.00" drop I used and it sat almost perfectly level

Sponsored

Gankiskhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ideally you are seeking to have the trailer brakes neutralize the weight of the trailer to avoid the tow vehicles brakes overworking. I was towing mine using just the slider as the brake controller software was not installed at the factory so I was unable to set the gain value and store it. Having now had my instrument cluster re-programmed and my brake system now working correctly I have set my gain to 4 which seems to be the happy medium between having the truck and trailer braking balanced. Every trailer is different so gains will need to be adjusted accordingly, plenty of youtube tutorials out there on how to do that.
I have looked at all the videos. I have even taken my truck to the dealer and like the comments you responded to I get zero from the trailer unless I squeeze the paddles. Strange. I wish I knew more about the software as I think this is my issue and the dealerships are absolutely terrible as well as not taking any servicing for many months. I had to contact ford to expedite my check on my trailer brake controller. They told me my truck had to sit in lot for 2 weeks or I'd "lose your place in the queue".

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Find another dealer .

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have used my XLT FX4 4K AWD to tow a 2 cord dump trailer quite a bit and it handles it no problems even when I have the trailer overloaded. Ford low balled the tow rating for the maverick ecoboost in my opinion

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey everyone,

We came back from our first weekend camping with our first trailer behind the Maverick.

Its a 2003 R-Vision Trail Lite Bantam 19 ft. hybrid, weighing 2500lb dry, roughly 3000lb filled I estimate. Its a little bigger than we originally planned on getting, but it was a deal we couldn't pass up. Filled up it squatted the truck about an inch.

IMG_20220613_204550_422.jpg

The brake controller appeared to work fine when we picked it up a few weeks ago. We had the reprogramming done two weeks ago and it still works perfectly.

We were/still are (possibly??) battling a brake light issue where the brake lights are coming on in the truck after exceeding 20km/h after stopping, however it appeared to be intermittent. We didn't have anyone yelling at us that our lights are on throughout the weekend. No other issues so far though with 13 000 km.

The Mav towed the trailer really well, with more get up and go than I would have thought while towing.
We had it in tow/trailer mode the entire time and it chugged along @ 95km/h no problem whatsoever for about 2 hours.

I don't think id want to pull anything larger as it got pretty wiggly with some strong side wind on the way home.

Fuel mileage was not great, but I also didn't really know what to expect:

PXL_20220626_233202025.jpg

Pic is after filling up just before getting home.

18.8L/100km , or roughly 12 mpg. We were around 16L/100 on the way there I believe, but the drive home was super windy with head and sidewinds.

Overall though we were really surprised how well this little sucker pulled!!

Overall, (aside from brake controller recalls) I would not be afraid to tow with these trucks at all if you have the 2.0 & tow package. We seem to have dodged the ongoing brake controller issues some of you have continued to have even after the reprogramming.

Lets just hope gas prices come down at some point to offset that 12MPG 😬
Love this. Thanks for the detailed post! Did you mess around with adjusting the trailer brake settings? Im interested to know how much adjustment it provides

Stealth Raccoon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting your experience! I really want to get a little camper like that and it's good to know the Mav is capable (y)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shane_T29

Shane_T29

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love this. Thanks for the detailed post! Did you mess around with adjusting the trailer brake settings? Im interested to know how much adjustment it provides
As far as I can find, all you can do is adjust the brake gain.

I thought F150s had a trailer profile you could setup and select for whatever you're towing that gave you more settings, but maybe I'm dreaming. Thought the Mav would have some kind of similar system but not that I can see

mcarneybsa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
The brake controller appeared to work fine when we picked it up a few weeks ago. We had the reprogramming done two weeks ago and it still works perfectly.

We were/still are (possibly??) battling a brake light issue where the brake lights are coming on in the truck after exceeding 20km/h after stopping, however it appeared to be intermittent. We didn't have anyone yelling at us that our lights are on throughout the weekend. No other issues so far though with 13 000 km.

PXL_20220626_233202025.jpg
Do you get a visual indication of the Brake Controller settings when adjusting? I have an XLT (with the small screen like yours) and get no indication on the screen when adjusting the Brake Controller gain, but I can feel the difference when I squeeze it to test.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have used my XLT FX4 4K AWD to tow a 2 cord dump trailer quite a bit and it handles it no problems even when I have the trailer overloaded. Ford low balled the tow rating for the maverick ecoboost in my opinion
Agree.

OP
OP
Shane_T29

Shane_T29

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you get a visual indication of the Brake Controller settings when adjusting? I have an XLT (with the small screen like yours) and get no indication on the screen when adjusting the Brake Controller gain, but I can feel the difference when I squeeze it to test.
Yes I do. The gain setting range puts up on the center display and it chimes with every adjustment

mcarneybsa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Yes I do. The gain setting range puts up on the center display and it chimes with every adjustment
Dang. I've had mine updated, but I don't get any kind of indication of changing the gain settings (other than feeling it in the brakes). My local dealer sucks in that they don't do appointments and it's a 7-10 day waiting period for diagnostic services right now (and they make you leave your vehicle for that time).
Sponsored