Thoughts on the Lightning?

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Admin edit: be sure to visit sister-site F150gen14.com for F-150 Lightning discussions!

So, I watched the reveal of the Lightening electric pickup. The frunk is huge and has power outlets. How many people have looked under the hood of a full sized pick-up and thought about all the room up there? I'm wondering how long it will take for camping accessories for the frunk to come out. I'm thinking it might be big enough for a bed, especially with the hood up. Yeah, it might be a sleeper frunk. Ford should play that up as a first. Or warn people not to sleep in there when the truck is moving.
Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
The Lightning appears to be an outstanding vehicle. From a cost stand-point there is little "penalty" in choosing the electric version over the ICE; a well equipped XLT will cost about $55k, vs. $45k for a similar ICE version. I could live with 230 miles of range for 95% of my driving...in fact 230 miles of range would cover a typical week of driving for me.

The Lightning makes the CyberTruck look ridiculous, and the other E-P/U's that are under development are going to have a hard time hitting Ford's price points. The only manufacturer that can do better (cost wise) is GM, as they have a sweet deal with LG Chem for batteries.

I look forward to the test drives.

Leon Chase

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Mustang, 2006 Mustang, 1991 Must
As has been mentioned, the range is the big question. 300 or 230 is more than enough for my normal driving needs but what do you do when something comes up where the distances you need to cover are greater ? If you have to go 200 miles and return home, then what ? I'd love an electric truck but having to borrow a friends truck when I have a new $ 40 or $ 50 thousand dollar truck parked in the yard would not seem right.

Reactions: Doc

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
As has been mentioned, the range is the big question. 300 or 230 is more than enough for my normal driving needs but what do you do when something comes up where the distances you need to cover are greater ? If you have to go 200 miles and return home, then what ? I'd love an electric truck but having to borrow a friends truck when I have a new $ 40 or $ 50 thousand dollar truck parked in the yard would not seem right.
I'm fortunate enough that my pickup will be my second vehicle. If an electric vehicle wouldn't provide me with the range I would need for a trip, then I’d take my ICE vehicle. If I needed the utility of the electric truck for a trip that exceeded its range, then I’d have to plan for a stop. It’s just that simple.

I like the Lighting. I think the $40k Lightning Pro, with a Federal tax break, is a compelling package.

Last edited:

dano0726

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was very impressed with the Lightning live stream event, and after reading some articles on the standard features, the EV has me very intrigued...

Now if there were to be a Maverick Lightning that had 230 miles range with the same HP/Torque then we'd be jumping for joy

Sponsored

OP
OP

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
The reveal of the Lightening really just makes me more hopeful that there will be some kind of an electrified version of the Maverick. I really think that a plug in hybrid would make sense. Electric around town, then if you have to go further and charging is not a great option on the trip, fill up the gas tank and you are good to go. Plus, Ford already has a PHEV power train for the Escape.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
I see the F-150 Lightning more as a symbol than a mainstream vehicle. Don't get me wrong; it's very impressive, especially the commercial oriented Lightning Pro. However, I believe the bigger point is Ford showing commitment to EV development and infrastructure while still holding the Ford style. I know the Mustang Mach-E looks nothing like a Mustang, but the new F-150 Lightning looks like and acts like a truck. As tech develops and cost decreases, we'll see it spread into the Ranger, Super Duty, and other trucks. Maybe even the Maverick one day.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The lightning, like most EV's are too pricy for my blood. If the entry model includes a crew cab, then it might enter my consideration, but there are no trim details available right now.

The Range would cover most of my day-to-day driving needs, but would need a crew-cab to handle my family's needs.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Lightning Pro is a crew cab model with a 5-1/2 foot bed.
I have to admit...with the tax credits, and the standard crewcab...I will be very tempted to buy a base-level/commercial F150 lightning, IF it is available to basic consumer.

Sponsored

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have to admit...with the tax credits, and the standard crewcab...I will be very tempted to buy a base-level/commercial F150 lightning, IF it is available to basic consumer.
FYI: Not everyone gets the tax credit, read up on qualifications. I am not able to receive.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Clyde Fromona

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S10
Admin edit: be sure to visit sister-site F150gen14.com for F-150 Lightning discussions!

So, I watched the reveal of the Lightening electric pickup. The frunk is huge and has power outlets. How many people have looked under the hood of a full sized pick-up and thought about all the room up there? I'm wondering how long it will take for camping accessories for the frunk to come out. I'm thinking it might be big enough for a bed, especially with the hood up. Yeah, it might be a sleeper frunk. Ford should play that up as a first. Or warn people not to sleep in there when the truck is moving.
So, it's a 5 or 6 seat short distance camper?
Does it come with a gasoline generator for the outlets so you have enough juice to get back from your week long trip 75 miles from home?

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
So, it's a 5 or 6 seat short distance camper?
Does it come with a gasoline generator for the outlets so you have enough juice to get back from your week long trip 75 miles from home?
I'm always surprised by the hate for electric vehicles. I am no "new green deal" guy...not by any stretch (I currently own vehicles totaling 32 cylinders) but it is obvious that the future of transportation will be electric. I look forward to never going to a gas station again, to instant torque, to quieter interiors. Sure, battery technology has to improve to bring down the cost and extend the range - but there is no denying that electric vehicles by and large are mature technology. Embracing technology is all part of enjoying cars and car culture.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any serviced RV campsite will have 30 amp or 50 amp power. At 50 amp that's 6*24=144Kwh a day. A lot of the cost of a Class B or class C RV is generator/battery/solar. A class C RV with, say, just 200mi of range allows for a six hour drive with a stop for lunch between campsites.

Even when boon docking such a vehicle with a 5KW diesel or propane generator will charge the batteries enough to get you to the next charging station.

It's coming and coming sooner than you think.
Sponsored