First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those of us who ordered but are still awaiting a build date and/or delivery of our Mavericks, I have a question:

How many of you on this forum are Kia owners? I'm specifically looking to hear from Kia Soul and Kia Seltos owners on your experiences with your vehicles.
Sponsored

testa422

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My wife currently has a 22 telluride. That’s my only experience w Kia and it’s been amazing. Great quality, great value…we both really love it. No doubt the seltos would be the same! The soul needs an update bad tho!

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've owned an '09 Optima since new and have put over 200K miles on it with no major issues. Also own a '14 Hyundai Elantra with no issues.

ccmjr77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 22 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both my daughters have Hyundai Elantras, 2017 and 2021. I currently drive a 2006 Kia Rio with 160K+ miles on it. My rio looks like crap, it is 15 years old, it has hand crank windows, manual mirrors, radio dont work, it rattles and shakes a little, but the little 1.6 4cyl runs and gets 30mpg so it has been a good car. I am looking am planning on getting a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for my wife after I get my maverick.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My ex had a forte and I thought I’d hate it but that thing never gave her a problem and she maintained it for shit. Totaled it by hitting a deer through

Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In general, my thoughts are Kia >> Ford

I've only ever driven kia soul as a rental, and never driven the current model. But my rental experience was over the course of several weeks and thousands of miles total (several rentals). It was a very good car, easy to drive, lots of space, but under powered. I think they've tried to fix that under powered complaint in the current model. Both the soul and seltos are quite small... You'd want to make sure to sit in one and take it for a good test drive to see if you're comfortable with the size (this is me not knowing what you're used to driving, but probably fair to say these will be smaller since they are smaller than most everything)

Good luck

Edit: I should add that I've had a 2013 Elantra since 2014 and have about 125k miles on it. I changed my clock spring under warranty and fixed the steering box a couple of years ago. It runs great and has never given me an issue. My "regular" maintenance has included bi-annual (and sometimes only annual, if I'm honest) oil changes, periodic air filter changes, new ngk plugs at 100k miles, and that's about it

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My family has had fantastic experiences with Hyundai, don't think anybody has had a Kia. My last car was an '09 accent, given to my FIL ~5yrs ago; it is going on 250k miles without a single issue. My parents and sister have sonatas, zero issues in 5+ years each. I also have an uncle who spent a few years in Korea in the military, swore he would never own a Korean-made car and now he drives a Niro.

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
My ex had a forte and I thought I’d hate it but that thing never gave her a problem and she maintained it for shit. Totaled it by hitting a deer through
Did the deer take her out too

OldSoulNewMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those of us who ordered but are still awaiting a build date and/or delivery of our Mavericks, I have a question:

How many of you on this forum are Kia owners? I'm specifically looking to hear from Kia Soul and Kia Seltos owners on your experiences with your vehicles.
Currently drive a Kia Soul, wife drives a Sorrento. Both have been phenomenal. The Soul has had a slew of recalls over the years, as well as a complete engine rebuild....but all under the phenomenal 5 year warranty. It's a 2014, so it was the first year of a re-design with a bunch of changes. It still drives great, and will be kept as a car for the teen drivers in the household. Probably my best car purchase ever (hoping the Maverick will change that). It's a great value. Incredibly small footprint, but drives like a larger car, plenty of room in the backseat, and its boxy design is great for cargo with the rear seats folded flat. Gas mileage has been mediocre at best.....I average around 26 combined, but that's about my only complaint. The doors feel very "thin" and I can tell that some of the build is "cheap" but I knew that going in with the low price point.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My wife currently has a 22 telluride. That’s my only experience w Kia and it’s been amazing. Great quality, great value…we both really love it. No doubt the seltos would be the same! The soul needs an update bad tho!
How do you like your Subaru? The Forester is on the list to go look as as well.

Sponsored

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on which engine & transmission is installed in your Kia (or Hyundai). Know several with 2.4 models what blew engines, a friend with a 2014 Cadenza (3.3 v6) which let go, out of the blue two weeks ago today at 92k (meticulously maintained btw), and a few others with tranny issues. - The dual clutch used in a several models is a real POS, we had one we test drove before buying my wife's Crosstrek, which couldn't safely pull into traffic, brand new, hopped in another, and it did the same thing.

And you know that 10 year/100k warranty, only applies to the original owner. The poor guy with the Cadenza bought it as a CPO, and the powertrain warranty drops to 5 years/60k for subsequent owners, which wasn't disclosed to him at purchase. ($4999 for an engine, plus installation costs, and then a 12/12 warranty).

Would I buy a Kia, so sir, not after the stories I've heard. Listen to Scotty Kilmer on YouTube, he's not a fan either. (Of course he also doesn't like many Subaru models, yet my current '12 Outback has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned in 40+ years).

TS0323

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue
Currently driving my wife's 2017 Kia Niro. The interior is a bit basic, but it's been rock solid mechanically and drives well and gets phenomenal mileage. I definitely prefer Mazda to Kia overall, but until Mazda makes a decent crossover hybrid we'll be sticking with the Niro.

testa422

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How do you like your Subaru? The Forester is on the list to go look as as well.
I have a 13 legacy. The cvt had to be replaced, under warranty, so no big deal to me. Aside from that, I’ve got 120k miles and literally zero complaints. I love this car! Also bc I’m a picture whore, here you go. Lmao

Ford Maverick Your thoughts on Kia? B0E4F52F-8FC5-4F7C-BA6B-20AF5C0D52A5

nelsont

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
own 2- 2011 forte with 208,000 miles and a 2016 Sorento with 135000 miles. Both trouble free and if Kia had a Santa Cruz model I wouldnt be waiting 7 months for a Ford!

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
We have a 2011 Kia Soul 5 spd manual with 154000 miles and it is still going strong. No real issues with it. Mileage is ok for the size car it is, hwy we get 30ish if we don't push it and don't have a head wind.l, otherwise 27-28 mpg. The car has been used to teach 3 of our daughters to drive(no automatics in the house that they can drive) and so far the clutch is still holding out. Inexpensive, not fancy, but a good, reliable car.
Sponsored