Sponsored

This will be my first truck - I want to make sure the bed is protected, but I don't know where to start.

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
Ford spray in liner is pretty good
Line-X is great for aftermarket, can get their premium line which adds UV resistance etc

should be all you need. You can get a cover like the Ford options or from Bakflip, etc in soft/hard/rolling if you want to add a little more protection to your items from the elements/theft. The bed caps that have windows and make it like a SUV back there are typically referred to as old man caps, they're not stylish but they're pretty practical if your needs don't involve putting tall items in the bed or standing in the bed. I don't think they'll look particularly good on the Maverick but its another option for you.

Other than that, its a truck. Use the bed, dent it up, scrape it up, it'll keep going.
I appreciate your knowledge and input on this. Thank you!
Sponsored

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How old are you? Your response is that of a sensitive snowflake. The irony is strong.
While I agree his response was poor, he makes logical points. I just want to add at age 35 I want a tonneau so if I go golfing with friends and stop somewhere to eat afterwards, I don’t want to worry about someone snatching clubs from the trunk. Or if it starts to downpour on the ride home they stay protected. This is true with other items as well.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Line-X did my 2020 Ranger 6 months ago for $450 and pleased with their work. They have done my last 3 trucks.
Ron

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Line-X did my 2020 Ranger 6 months ago for $450 and pleased with their work. They have done my last 3 trucks.
Ron
Oh that's awesome. Line-X has been recommended to me across the board at this point. $450 seems totally worth it honestly. Do they offer you a warranty on the work?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Line-X does a lifetime warranty at any of their dealers nationwide
Well hard to be upset about that! Thanks for the info. I found a few dealers (as well as a Line-X shop) in town so I think that's what I'm going to do.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think Line-X normally charges $500 but with a military discount it was $450 and don't know if they have other discounts.
Yes a lifetime warranty.
Oh that's awesome. Line-X has been recommended to me across the board at this point. $450 seems totally worth it honestly. Do they offer you a warranty on the work?

Benc3aptos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm seeing now that bed liners are the way to go, and that nothing is better than spray in. I was under the assumption the XLT had liner in the bed, but it looks like I'm mistaken and it's just going to be the metal bed.

I'm not sure what a good price on a spray in would be, or what kind of tonneau to get to make sure I'm not just getting this thing rusted up in the bed while everywhere else is easier to take care of.

Honestly any advice or input is welcome to me, and if this is the wrong place for this thread I can take it down.
The XLT does come with a spray in liner if you get the luxury package. Well worth it....

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Line-X normally charges $500 but with a military discount it was $450 and don't know if they have other discounts.
Yes a lifetime warranty.
Thank you for the info! That's still super reasonable to me. Can't believe I didn't realize the truck didn't have spray-in on it's own haha.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes a lifetime warranty.
Since the Maverick bed is smaller, maybe the price will be a little smaller too😁

Sponsored

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a spray in liner and a bed mat in my F-150.

Why? I bought the truck off the lot w/o any bed liner. I liked the idea of seeing the bed (flame blue, really awesome) but knew that I would be using the truck to haul wood and knew I needed something. So I bought a bed-mat.

While this worked, I was still concerned about wood hitting the sides, so I got a line-x spray in job done. The ironic part is of course no more flame blue bed (unfortunately). The spray in is nice, but a very rough surface. So I kept the bed mat and have that in there also. It makes it easier if you are doing something in the bed of the truck and also provides more "cushion" when I am tossing wood in there or getting mulch or garden soil dumped in the truck.

If the truck is only going to be used as a "home depot vehicle" or "grocery hauler", having something like the bed mat is good enough - saves some $ and allows you to take it out to wash if desired or just show of the truck bed in its natural color.

OP
OP
PapaNer

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading through everyone's suggestions and doing my own research at local shops/Reddit, I have called and added the spray-in liner from ford. At most I'd save $45 in town (before tax), and at most I'd be paying ~$100 more. Pretty simple when you think about it as a couple of extra payments in the life of the loan.

So thank you everyone for helping me reach this decision, and I hope other curious first-timers get knowledge from here as well.

66six

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius / 22 Ford Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm seeing now that bed liners are the way to go, and that nothing is better than spray in. I was under the assumption the XLT had liner in the bed, but it looks like I'm mistaken and it's just going to be the metal bed.

I'm not sure what a good price on a spray in would be, or what kind of tonneau to get to make sure I'm not just getting this thing rusted up in the bed while everywhere else is easier to take care of.

Honestly any advice or input is welcome to me, and if this is the wrong place for this thread I can take it down.
Do what I have done for years get a sheet of plywood and cut out the wheel wells lay it in the back , your load won’t slip around like a plastic bed liner and it will protect your bed easy shmeeze.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do what I have done for years get a sheet of plywood and cut out the wheel wells lay it in the back , your load won’t slip around like a plastic bed liner and it will protect your bed easy shmeeze.
You must live where there is no moisture. Unless you have a tonneau, the plywood would get wet and rot, trapping moisture underneath, promoting rust.

66six

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius / 22 Ford Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You must live where there is no moisture. Unless you have a tonneau, the plywood would get wet and rot, trapping moisture underneath, promoting rust.
You are correct I live in Las Vegas and rain is not a problem so the cut out sheet of plywood will work for me but the wet stuff coming down from the sky that I never see might be a problem elsewhere.
Sponsored