Sponsored

The million dollar question: Cactus Gray or Carbonized Gray?

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
Cactus grey area 51 or carbonized grey????

I know its been beaten to death. I been searching all day YouTube videos and pictures.

All my local dealers do not have any of these colors in stock.

Every video or picture makes these colors look different.

What are your thoughts? Leaning towards area 51.
Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Cactus Gray and Area51 have similar color characteristics based on lighting. They are very dynamic colors. Almost a pearl type color as they are not metallic. Brighter in direct sun and more muted under cloud or shade. Area51 is very similar to my 2019 Tacoma with Cavalry Blue exterior color. I really like that color, but doesn’t seem to work as well on the Maverick for some reason for me. Cactus Gray can have green tint to it in certain lights. I’ve seen both Bronco Sport and Ranger in that color. These were my first two choices, but now are my third and fourth.

Carbonized Gray is a nice, rich and soft gray. Looks pretty sharp, but you’d have to like a gray color. I’ve seen F-150 in this color in both sun and shade and works well. I think it would look great on Maverick.

I am not huge on solid white trucks as they scream “work truck”, but Oxford White seems like it would work for me as well and give a great contrast between black and white. I’m grabbing FX4 package so the red of that box sticker and the blue Ford badge offers nice pops of color. It is now tied for one and two choice for me on Lariat interior, with other being Carbonized Gray.

If Ford offered Space White, I’d be all over that color.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Cactus Gray and Area51 have similar color characteristics based on lighting. They are very dynamic colors. Almost a pearl type color as they are not metallic. Brighter in direct sun and more muted under cloud or shade. Area51 is very similar to my 2019 Tacoma with Cavalry Blue exterior color. I really like that color, but doesn’t seem to work as well on the Maverick for some reason for me. Cactus Gray can have green tint to it in certain lights. I’ve seen both Bronco Sport and Ranger in that color. These were my first two choices, but now are my third and fourth.

Carbonized Gray is a nice, rich and soft gray. Looks pretty sharp, but you’d have to like a gray color. I’ve seen F-150 in this color in both sun and shade and works well. I think it would look great on Maverick.

I am not huge on solid white trucks as they scream “work truck”, but Oxford White seems like it would work for me as well and give a great contrast between black and white. I’m grabbing FX4 package so the red of that box sticker and the blue Ford badge offers nice pops of color. It is now tied for one and two choice for me on Lariat interior, with other being Carbonized Gray.

I looked at Area 51 and Cactus Grey Bronco Sports today. I also don't think the Area 51 fits well with the Maverick.

What are your thoughts on the Velocity Blue? Doesn't look too great with the Lariat interior.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thank you for sharing. Have you seen Hot Pepper Red and Rapid Red? Do you like them?

Sponsored

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for sharing. Have you seen Hot Pepper Red and Rapid Red? Do you like them?
I’ve seen rapid red on a Bronco when they were doing the events. It was much nicer in person than I thought and I’m not a fan of reds typically. It was a nice, rich color and looked good in the sun, and with all the black trim.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
Yes, I love Rapid Red in photos and in person. I’ve seen Hot Pepper Red as there are a few 2019 Rangers around town in that color. I don’t like it nearly as much as Rapid Red. Hot Pepper Red has an orange undertone in sunlight that I personally not a fan of, but that’s me. Rapid Red is more of a candy apple red, nice deep red in the sun. I think it looks nice on Maverick, but only available on First Edition for 2022. First Edition is not available with FX4 and I prefer the looks of the front bumper with exposed tow hooks that I prefer so I can’t add to my build to grab that color option.

OP
OP
Lappo424

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I'm even more confused lol

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I looked at Area 51 and Cactus Grey Bronco Sports today. I also don't think the Area 51 fits well with the Maverick.

What are your thoughts on the Velocity Blue? Doesn't look too great with the Lariat interior.
I thought Area51 was going to be the color I choose, but just doesn’t seem to work well on Maverick for me as I thought it would.

I saw a Velocity Blue Ranger the other day, it’s a decent blue. Not a shade I’m drawn to, but I did think about it for a few mins. It’s bright in the sunlight. I’m picky on blue colors and decided to put it further down my list.

I prefer Alto Blue over Velocity Blue. I think that blue would look decent on Maverick. It is a pretty dark blue and can look almost black under low light conditions, but looks pretty nice under direct sunlight. It may be too dark in the end for me, but have recently been poking around as my maybe third option. I struggle contemplating going darker than Carbonized Gray.

I do like some bright colors, the Cyber Orange color if I lived in FL or CA maybe, but I’d also highly consider Race Red if it were offered on Maverick.

OP
OP
Lappo424

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought Area51 was going to be the color I choose, but just doesn’t seem to work well on Maverick for me as I thought it would.

I saw a Velocity Blue Ranger the other day, it’s a decent blue. Not a shade I’m drawn to, but I did think about it for a few mins. It’s bright in the sunlight. I’m picky on blue colors and decided to put it further down my list.

I prefer Alto Blue over Velocity Blue. I think that blue would look decent on Maverick. It is a pretty dark blue and can look almost black under low light conditions, but looks pretty nice under direct sunlight. It may be too dark in the end for me, but have recently been poking around as my maybe third option. I struggle contemplating going darker than Carbonized Gray.

I do like some bright colors, the Cyber Orange color if I lived in FL or CA maybe, but I’d also highly consider Race Red if it were offered on Maverick.
I agree about the area 51. I'm also kicking the tires on carbonized grey and back on the cactus grey

Sponsored

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve seen rapid red on a Bronco when they were doing the events. It was much nicer in person than I thought and I’m not a fan of reds typically. It was a nice, rich color and looked good in the sun, and with all the black trim.
Sounds great! Thank you!

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I love Rapid Red in photos and in person. I’ve seen Hot Pepper Red as there are a few 2019 Rangers around town in that color. I don’t like it nearly as much as Rapid Red. Hot Pepper Red has an orange undertone in sunlight that I personally not a fan of, but that’s me. Rapid Red is more of a candy apple red, nice deep red in the sun. I think it looks nice on Maverick, but only available on First Edition for 2022. First Edition is not available with FX4 and I prefer the looks of the front bumper with exposed tow hooks that I prefer so I can’t add to my build to grab that color option.
Thank you for helping me making the final decision. Rapid Red it is!

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like Cactus Grey but it needs to be a wee bit darker. Toyota has a color similar to Cactus Grey and it looks great. I probably will get that color anyway. I also like Area 51, it's a tough choice between the two. I never was fond of metallic colors, they can really be difficult to match if you ever have any collision work done. You need to blend color into the next panel to get a good looking job, and it can be done successfully.

OP
OP
Lappo424

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like Cactus Grey but it needs to be a wee bit darker. Toyota has a color similar to Cactus Grey and it looks great. I probably will get that color anyway. I also like Area 51, it's a tough choice between the two. I never was fond of metallic colors, they can really be difficult to match if you ever have any collision work done. You need to blend color into the next panel to get a good looking job, and it can be done successfully.
I'm at my local dealer now and of course no cactus or area 51.

I did see the carbonized gray and it looks nice but pretty generic at the same time

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm at my local dealer now and of course no cactus or area 51.

I did see the carbonized gray and it looks nice but pretty generic at the same time
my dealer has a Ranger in Cactus Grey, because of the truck size, it really stands out when you drive by. On a large vehicle that color is a bit much. I only saw a Bronco Sport in Area 51 and it had a black roof, looked nice.
Sponsored