Shipping process?

Jbrewyt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Tacoma, 08 Mazda 3
Hi all. New member here, but have looked around on this forum before and used the tracker. Sorry if this a dumb question or has been answered before. I googled for the answer and searched the forum. Also read the order processing detailed info sticky.
Ordered An XL awd on 6/18. Got a production date of 10/4 back in august. Been on the maverick page on Facebook as well and am seeing the first customer builds are being shipped. Shipping is expected to take 4-8 weeks correct?
What exactly takes so long for shipping? Mapping it, it’s about a day and half drive from the plant to my location in Jersey.
I saw in the sticky that the vehicle will travel by rail, to Newark? Are all vehicles processed thru Newark? Even vehicles head to the west coast? I’m in Jersey, so I’m guessing that’s where my order will go thru. Once thru Newark the sticky said they will then be delivered by truck to the dealer. Again, I’m in Jersey so if the vehicle goes thru Newark, will I get my vehicle faster then an order that’s being delivered in the Midwest or the west coast?
I’m plenty patient so I don’t mind that shipping will take a month or 2, gives me more time to bulk up my down payment anyway, but I’m just curious as to what happens during shipping and why it takes that long.
Thanks all for any help.
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the “shipping” includes post production quality controls and checks. This takes longer with newer vehicles. For me this can take as long as it needs to be.

Ford can’t ship an empty train. Coordination and logistics to get the train full to go to your drop point. There will be multiple regional drop points for the trucks off trains. I know Tim Bartz said they all go to Kansas City but he works in Salina, Kanas so of course his vehicles go there. Train travel is fairly quick and reliable…but even that takes time and has Issues. Click

coordinate truck drivers from drop point to dealer, this is getting harder as truck drivers are in short supply.

dealer receives and preps truck. Unwraps it, does final quality checks and services, installs any small items (front license plate, frame plugs, etc)

shipping a vehicle is more complicated than shipping you mud flaps from Amazon

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all. New member here, but have looked around on this forum before and used the tracker. Sorry if this a dumb question or has been answered before. I googled for the answer and searched the forum. Also read the order processing detailed info sticky.
Ordered An XL awd on 6/18. Got a production date of 10/4 back in august. Been on the maverick page on Facebook as well and am seeing the first customer builds are being shipped. Shipping is expected to take 4-8 weeks correct?
What exactly takes so long for shipping? Mapping it, it’s about a day and half drive from the plant to my location in Jersey.
I saw in the sticky that the vehicle will travel by rail, to Newark? Are all vehicles processed thru Newark? Even vehicles head to the west coast? I’m in Jersey, so I’m guessing that’s where my order will go thru. Once thru Newark the sticky said they will then be delivered by truck to the dealer. Again, I’m in Jersey so if the vehicle goes thru Newark, will I get my vehicle faster then an order that’s being delivered in the Midwest or the west coast?
I’m plenty patient so I don’t mind that shipping will take a month or 2, gives me more time to bulk up my down payment anyway, but I’m just curious as to what happens during shipping and why it takes that long.
Thanks all for any help.
As I understand it: Mavericks will leave the plant in Mexico and be stopped at the border for a customs check. Once customs is cleared the trucks will head toward a central transfer facility (probably somewhere in Oklahoma) stopping along the way for loading and unloading of other products. Then loaded onto another train headed to the region of their final destination, again stopping along the way as needed (once the train is full enough to pull out). When they arrive at the regional transfer station they will be loaded onto a semi and delivered to various dealers on the route until your truck arrives at your dealer.

OP
OP

Jbrewyt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Tacoma, 08 Mazda 3
Thank you for the response. As you said, I would think that Ford obviously would wait for a full load of rail cars to ship. I figured there was quality checks, but in the tracker, and email notifications, I thought there was a seperate notification for quality checks. I guess when the tracker says “shipped”, I assumed that meant it was actually on the move. I also was assuming that shipping didnt include the setup and pdi time at the dealership. I’m guessing the tracker is a little broad with its alerts to keep it simple for the end consumer.

Transpression

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Ford Maverick Shipping process? Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 9.08.15 am

Thanks for that info. Also explains why it "shipped 2 days ago" and has an ETA for this Canadian of Oct 29th.

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the “shipping” includes post production quality controls and checks. This takes longer with newer vehicles. For me this can take as long as it needs to be.

Ford can’t ship an empty train. Coordination and logistics to get the train full to go to your drop point. There will be multiple regional drop points for the trucks off trains. I know Tim Bartz said they all go to Kansas City but he works in Salina, Kanas so of course his vehicles go there. Train travel is fairly quick and reliable…but even that takes time and has Issues. Click

coordinate truck drivers from drop point to dealer, this is getting harder as truck drivers are in short supply.

dealer receives and preps truck. Unwraps it, does final quality checks and services, installs any small items (front license plate, frame plugs, etc)

shipping a vehicle is more complicated than shipping you mud flaps from Amazon
And don’t forget that the truck driver can only drive 11 hrs within the start of his 14 hr work shift, then is mandated to stop for 10hrs. A flat tire on the side of the road can take hours to have changed. Got a traffic jam and sit for an hour? That’s lost time. Spend 2 hrs loading at the rail yard? More lost time.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks all for any help.

Try this:
AUTOMOTIVE MAP granted this will only help a little bit for New Jersey. I know Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe both have rail interchange points with the Mexican Railroad along border with Mexico. They both have various interchanges with other Railroad companies throughout the US. Kansas City might be correct for handing off cars to other railroads, but not Oklahoma City. Trains are strategically made up at origination point. Autorack automobile cars could typically arrive in El Paso and from there added to a train destined north to Belen, NM. That is a major switching yard. That train is broken up and "blocks" of cars destined for the same direction added to various trains going east, west and north. Example would be freight destined for Albuquerque would be taken there by a local switcher where an automobile unloading facility exists and could service dealers in much of New Mexico. Other autorack cars will be switched to trains heading west or east. I am in Northern New Mexico and my truck will go to Amarillo, Tx. Railroad service priority is a function of what the shipper wants to pay. Automobiles aren't a high priority and automobile unloading facilities are private business operators. Ford will pay cheapest rates available for the combination of rail and highway freight rates. Cars for New Jersey will have to go to other cities east to exchange with other rail carriers.
AutoRack cars can handle up to about 22 automobiles. There are some strictly automobile trains but autoracks can be handled on any trains. Another consideration also availability of empty autorack cars. In case the first link doesn't work here is another. Maybe you can find one for your home railroad.
http://m.bnsf.com/bnsf-resources/pdf/ship-with-bnsf/maps-and-shipping-locations/automotive-map.pdf.

Thank you for the response. As you said, I would think that Ford obviously would wait for a full load of rail cars to ship. I figured there was quality checks, but in the tracker, and email notifications, I thought there was a seperate notification for quality checks. I guess when the tracker says “shipped”, I assumed that meant it was actually on the move. I also was assuming that shipping didnt include the setup and pdi time at the dealership. I’m guessing the tracker is a little broad with its alerts to keep it simple for the end consumer.

Last edited:

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Shipping is expected to take 4-8 weeks correct?
Same reason why it could take you all day to travel by commercial flight from Los Angeles to New York, but the same flight by private jet takes a couple hours.

Flying commercially doesn't just account for the time that the plane is in the air. It's the time to travel to the airport, check in, go through security, wait around for however long, get delayed, get delayed again, finally board the plane, take off, fly, turn around due to a mechanical issue, land, deplane, re-plane, fly, actually make it to New York this time, wait for your luggage to never show up on the carousel, make a claim...wait.

Fly in a private jet and you could probably leave from an airport much closer to your house and less busy, and at your convenience. You (or your chauffeur) drive your car inside the hangar where the plane is waiting for you (not the other way around), you get out of the car and onto the plane, and it's wheels-up as soon as you're on board.

I'm sure if you're willing to pay enough money then you could get white-glove service where one person with a one-car enclosed trailer will drive to the plant and pick up your vehicle and drive as non-stop as possible to New Jersey.

Sponsored

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Try this:
AUTOMOTIVE MAP granted this will only help a little bit for New Jersey. I know Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe both have rail interchange points with the Mexican Railroad along border with Mexico. They both have various interchanges with other Railroad companies throughout the US. Kansas City might be correct for handing off cars to other railroads, but not Oklahoma City. Trains are strategically made up at origination point. Autorack automobile cars could typically arrive in El Paso and from there added to a train destined north to Belen, NM. That is a major switching yard. That train is broken up and "blocks" of cars destined for the same direction added to various trains going east, west and north. Example would be freight destined for Albuquerque would be taken there by a local switcher where an automobile unloading facility exists and could service dealers in much of New Mexico. Other autorack cars will be switched to trains heading west or east. I am in Northern New Mexico and my truck will go to Amarillo, Tx. Railroad service priority is a function of what the shipper wants to pay. Automobiles aren't a high priority and automobile unloading facilities are private business operators. Ford will pay cheapest rates available for the combination of rail and highway freight rates. Cars for New Jersey will have to go to other cities east to exchange with other rail carriers.
AutoRack cars can handle up to about 22 automobiles. There are some strictly automobile trains but autoracks can be handled on any trains. Another consideration also availability of empty autorack cars. In case the first link doesn't work here is another. Maybe you can find one for your home railroad.
http://m.bnsf.com/bnsf-resources/pdf/ship-with-bnsf/maps-and-shipping-locations/automotive-map.pdf.
Union Pacific also has interchanges all along California, Arizona and Texas borders. Then goes on to Dallas/Ft. Worth where it probably interchanges with Eastern railroads.

OP
OP

Jbrewyt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Tacoma, 08 Mazda 3
Thanks again all for the responses.
I probably should have worded my initial post a little better in comparing the drive time from the Ford plant to the nearest port to me as in a day and half, compared with the time it takes to move a new vehicle by rail. I am indeed aware of all the delays that can occur every time the vehicle is redirected and then separated from the initial shipment from the plant to each destination. However I did not know how many points there are where it would need to be offloaded and redirected to reach the final destination. I am, as I stated in the original post, quite patient and not concerned that it will take a month or 2 to ship once built, but was just curious as to how they are shipped and what are all the things that will cause the delays throughout shipping. Thank you all again for the responses.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks again all for the responses.
I probably should have worded my initial post a little better in comparing the drive time from the Ford plant to the nearest port to me as in a day and half, compared with the time it takes to move a new vehicle by rail. I am indeed aware of all the delays that can occur every time the vehicle is redirected and then separated from the initial shipment from the plant to each destination. However I did not know how many points there are where it would need to be offloaded and redirected to reach the final destination. I am, as I stated in the original post, quite patient and not concerned that it will take a month or 2 to ship once built, but was just curious as to how they are shipped and what are all the things that will cause the delays throughout shipping. Thank you all again for the responses.
Rest assured that after less than 200 years Railroads have become more efficient. They make the most money when their freight cars are loaded and "moving". They want your Maverick at its destination and unloaded ASAP and the empty freight on its way back to Mexico. Shippers and unloaders suffer charges if keeping rail cars too long.
Sponsored