Sponsored

Random question for Fx4 owners: driving in Slippery Mode as a daily?

Mox4615

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Searched a little on this but never saw any definitive answers… anybody seen any downfalls or problems with driving in Slippery mode as a daily? I may be the only one that’s noticed this but when I use slippery mode in wet conditions the transmission shifts so much better compared to normal mode. It’s smooth and changes gears very nicely. Normal mode is hit or miss, might feel good or might feel bad. Hard to explain really but it’s very noticeable between the two modes. Anyone else notice this? I only posted for fx4 owners because really without forscan the only real mode we can drive in is normal since ford neglected us with sport and eco.
Sponsored

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Slippery mode is like eco mode as far as shift points and throttle position, I think. Lots of us older members were taught how to properly use an automatic transmission to achieve these modes with gas pedal alone. Stomp for sport mode, tickle for eco. We didn't need no stinkin buttons

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why would you use slippery as a daily? It's like snorting ether every morning. It's smooth because inputs are muted drastically. If you want to live in slow motion, go for it. I hope you never have to make an emergency evasive maneuver.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've heard this too and I have to agree with the others, it's just too spongy. I don't even like using it in the wet or during winter. I don't think it changes anything in response time for the AWD. I find myself having to give it more throttle just to drive normally and then I lose MPG because of it. It's just too slow to respond and when I give it throttle it does nothing then by the time I needed it, it's 100 feet too late and now I have to give it so much that it downshifts entirely. Not a fan.

Normal mode for the win. Even in a hybrid I hated the eco mode for the same reason. I never got better MPG using it. Normal mode in those too.

Joester

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Coachmen 220RK, 2016 Buick Encore, 2022 Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Slippery mode is like eco mode as far as shift points and throttle position, I think. Lots of us older members were taught how to properly use an automatic transmission to achieve these modes with gas pedal alone. Stomp for sport mode, tickle for eco. We didn't need no stinkin buttons
I distinctly remember my dad telling me to imagine a grape between my foot and the gas pedal. "Squeeze the grape, don't squish it" were his instructions and I find no need for "ECO" or "Sport" modes with my Ecoboost/4K/FX4 Maverick.

As far as using slippery mode as default, NOPE. Use it correctly with the intelligent AWD screen up and you'll see why. No need to put a hyper sensitive traction control in use for daily driving.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Slippery mode works extremely well on the hybrids for daily use.
Sponsored