First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I re-formatted my extra USB drive to FAT 32. Copied music to the drive. The same music I have on another drive that worked in my 2018 Escape. BTW, that too doesn't work. I even didn't fill it as full as before. These drives are 8 gig. I put it in the drive and the light on the drive flashed. then on the screen I received a message that the drive was removed. The button on the screen is then gone. Ive pulled it out and and re-insert it and the truck doesn't recognize it. I then put the Wireless dongle back in and that seems to work. re-insert the USB drive and nothing.

My first thought is the drive is faulty, but the Motorola works in it. its very frustrating.

I've ordered another drive that someone here recommended and will receive it on Wednesday. But I don't even know if that will work.

The one saving grace is I have Amazon music that I can use, but I would rather listen to all the music I downloaded from CD's.
Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I fixed my problem. I won't know for sure until I actually use if to a time. So I will update this post when I know for sure. For any others that this may be an issue this is what I did:

When I ripped the CD on my computer it created a folder of the artist, then a folder of the album then on the album folder it had the songs. When I copied the Ripped music to my USB drive I copied all folders. That resulted in my Maverick not recognizing the drive. So when that didn't work I just thought a minute and decided to not copy the first folder and started with the Album folder that contained the mp3 files of the songs, and It worked while the truck was parked in my garage. Oh and my dongle was also plugged into the other port.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This will be my last post on this subject until I get service to look at my truck. I was driving home from work today. USB wss playing my music. Motorola was also active, but I wasn't using android auto. Then my music quit. The indicator light on both my drive and Motorola was dead. I unplugged both reinstated the USB drive only and nothing. I wasn't in the mood to even attempt to try to fix it when I returned home. If my new USB drive works when I transfer my music I'll post otherwise it needs FORD service work.

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So songs can only be played sequentially. If you want to play song number 327 of 400 it seems I have to fast forward 326 times?
Yep life is tough in the first world.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As long as the mp3 files have the correct metadata you should have no problem seeing your music files. I have my music files in directories using the hierarchy: Artist -> Album Name -> Album Tracks. Hell, I had a 2008 Ford Focus and was able to use voice commands to play "artist" or "album" or "track" using voice commands. Just make sure you set the audio source to USB.

Also note that you get the best audio quality using a USB drive, compared to streaming music from your phone. The reason is that with a USB drive the DAC (Digital Audio Controller) of your vehicle is used, rather than the tiny DAC in your phone.

Note that I have confirmed with Ford that in the Maverick you can use voice commands to play audio and make phone calls WITHOUT having your phone connected, using only Bluetooth.
I have a flash drive plugged into the Maverick's USB port under the dash. The truck's screen shows and will play from that device just fine. What I cannot figure out is how to use voice commands to ask for a particular song on that USB. Can do? If so, how? Thanks.

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When you use the phone connected to USB, it uses the DAC in the phone. When you connect a thumb drive to USB, it uses the DAC of the vehicle.
On Android, couldn't one just select USB File Transfer (aka MTP - Media Transfer Protocol) when connecting the USB cable to the Maverick? Then use the Mav's USB music player?

On my Linux PC, it makes the phone look like a removable drive when connected via USB.

I don't have my Maverick yet, but am hoping I can play music stored on my phone, via USB cable, using MTP.
Ford Maverick Placing music on a USB drive Screenshot from 2023-07-09 12-51-59

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a flash drive plugged into the Maverick's USB port under the dash. The truck's screen shows and will play from that device just fine. What I cannot figure out is how to use voice commands to ask for a particular song on that USB. Can do? If so, how? Thanks.
Even though the sound quality is better using the USB drive, when driving then scrolling for music, it annoyingly keeps stopping with a safety warning. This makes it unusable while driving. What I've done is load a micro SD card with all my music in my phone, then I use Musicolet to play the music. Also, I adjust the EQ in Musicolet and get a richer sound.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Voice commands, as far as I know, only work with a connected phone. I don't think they work with a USB stick.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On Android, couldn't one just select USB File Transfer (aka MTP - Media Transfer Protocol) when connecting the USB cable to the Maverick? Then use the Mav's USB music player?

On my Linux PC, it makes the phone look like a removable drive when connected via USB.

I don't have my Maverick yet, but am hoping I can play music stored on my phone, via USB cable, using MTP.
Screenshot from 2023-07-09 12-51-59.png
This has nothing to do with the USB thumb drive using the DAC of the car. It does this automatically. I'm a retired Systems Engineer III, I know what you are talking about but it's not what I'm talking about.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Voice commands, as far as I know, only work with a connected phone. I don't think they work with a USB stick.
I have a small USB stick with hundreds of songs on it. I don't want to eat up storage on my phone keeping music on it. It works fine if I'm happy to simply have the music play sequentially or randomly. I just don't seem to be able to select songs with voice commands. I can live with that but it would be nice.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That isn't possible, I don't even think the high end Sync does that.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This has nothing to do with the USB thumb drive using the DAC of the car. It does this automatically. I'm a retired Systems Engineer III, I know what you are talking about but it's not what I'm talking about.
I was referring to a post that mentioned sound quality when connecting a phone. Sorry if I quoted the wrong post.

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
β€˜23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your flash drive may have overheated. I have a tiny HP drive, that works until it gets hot, and then stops working, until you unplug it and allow it to cool. - It's barely visible when plugged in, and surprise, I think the 5v in the USB plug may stay HOT when the truck is off. (After coming out from a movie, it wouldn't play and was hot, took it out for 5 min, reinserted, and played fine all the way home, but was getting warm again).

numike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thank you for all the comments
What worked was doing a FULL format of the flash drive