Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry, Honda Fit, Toyota Tacoma
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Keep posting, looking forward to your mobile office setup. Any support for solar panels on roof deck? Inside looking out pics.
No but I do carry a deployable 220W solar panel system if I’m camped for awhile. I generally will park in the shade if I can and run a long wire to my panel.
This is a road warrior rig so most of my charging actually comes from the alternator.

Either way the both run an EcoFlow Delta 2 with extra battery. That pass-through charges my fridge and whatever else I’m running in the bed. I never run off my hybrid battery (unless im driving). And if you really want to get technically my bed 12V goes through a step-up dc-to-dc converter before the Delta 2 to enable faster charging.
Sponsored

Funfishhunter

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick LXT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got back to San Diego today from Las Vegas after getting my camper installed from Packout Campers. Here’s just a preview of the camper.

Resized_Resized_20240323_194704_1711249834061_1711249847347.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20240323_194527_1711249834686_1711249847480.jpeg

Ignore the leash in the above pics, I temp wired up a ghosted third brake light since the camper was going to block the factory one. I dropped the bumper and hid all the wiring behind it as show in this pic from the next day.

IMG_5914.jpeg

The camper is intentionally pretty barebones so I could customize to my needs. Now my end of the project begins (rear view camera install, interior lighting, storage & organization solutions, etc.)

I also didn’t want windows because I wanted to be able to leave it at a trailhead while I go hiking/backpacking and want the bed to be secure. I’ll eventually install extrusion security bars across the hatches to further secure it.

I think my rig is about 30-40% built out of all the things I want on it. I have done plenty but still have plenty more to do. More detailed post/video on the rig to come later when I feel like it’s ready to show.

I drove it pretty hard and fast (like I normally drive) home through the hills of Southern California. Took about 10mpg hit with the camper. Eventually will design a custom roof rack with wind fairing that will hopefully get me some mpg back. I am planning to drive coast-to-coast and back in the summer (and stay exclusively in the tent). I won’t drive as fast then but wanted to see how much impact the camper had on mpg. For what it’s worth, the Maverick drives the same and doesn’t even feel the camper on it.

Shout out to Packout Campers! They were great. Give them a call and tell them Ron sent you.

I also passed 5-6 Mavs on the way down. Hope that was some of you.
Just got back to San Diego today from Las Vegas after getting my camper installed from Packout Campers. Here’s just a preview of the camper.

Resized_Resized_20240323_194704_1711249834061_1711249847347.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20240323_194527_1711249834686_1711249847480.jpeg

Ignore the leash in the above pics, I temp wired up a ghosted third brake light since the camper was going to block the factory one. I dropped the bumper and hid all the wiring behind it as show in this pic from the next day.

IMG_5914.jpeg

The camper is intentionally pretty barebones so I could customize to my needs. Now my end of the project begins (rear view camera install, interior lighting, storage & organization solutions, etc.)

I also didn’t want windows because I wanted to be able to leave it at a trailhead while I go hiking/backpacking and want the bed to be secure. I’ll eventually install extrusion security bars across the hatches to further secure it.

I think my rig is about 30-40% built out of all the things I want on it. I have done plenty but still have plenty more to do. More detailed post/video on the rig to come later when I feel like it’s ready to show.

I drove it pretty hard and fast (like I normally drive) home through the hills of Southern California. Took about 10mpg hit with the camper. Eventually will design a custom roof rack with wind fairing that will hopefully get me some mpg back. I am planning to drive coast-to-coast and back in the summer (and stay exclusively in the tent). I won’t drive as fast then but wanted to see how much impact the camper had on mpg. For what it’s worth, the Maverick drives the same and doesn’t even feel the camper on it.

Shout out to Packout Campers! They were great. Give them a call and tell them Ron sent you.

I also passed 5-6 Mavs on the way down. Hope that was some of you.
Man, I never thought I'd live to see a Three Story Truck!

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Quick update:
Just looked at my gauge and my mpg was back up 35.3. It hovered around 36.7 prior to the camper.

I suspect the initially 10mpg hit was due to 1) hard driving 2) mostly on highway 3) with lots of steep mountain climbing.

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Another quick update.
Teaser vid from Packout Campers on my Maverick. You can see the inside before my part of the build-out.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No but I do carry a deployable 220W solar panel system if I’m camped for awhile. I generally will park in the shade if I can and run a long wire to my panel.
This is a road warrior rig so most of my charging actually comes from the alternator.

Either way the both run an EcoFlow Delta 2 with extra battery. That pass-through charges my fridge and whatever else I’m running in the bed. I never run off my hybrid battery (unless im driving). And if you really want to get technically my bed 12V goes through a step-up dc-to-dc converter before the Delta 2 to enable faster charging.
That's cool. I've been looking for a way to charge my Delta 2 given it doesn't like the modified sine wave AC inverter. What converter are you using?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's cool. I've been looking for a way to charge my Delta 2 given it doesn't like the modified sine wave AC inverter. What converter are you using?
I didn’t know it doesn’t like the modified sine wave. Never actually tried charging through AC in the Mav. Good to know.

I run the bed 12V into a Victron Orion dc-to-dc converter (12 to 30Vdc) which then goes into Delta 2 via the XT60i Solar charge connector.

Here’s a link to the one I run:
https://a.co/d/93OtjAX

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@bgn here is a good video on dc-to-dc conversion for the Delta 2. I run this exact setup.

Reactions: bgn
OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Looks like EcoFlow is coming out with a product with a built-in dc-to-dc converter and which would allow for bi-directional charging.

http://www.linspyre.com/ecoholics/alternatorcharger.html

I assume that this would require direct battery connection. Not really interested in the product as I already have a similar setup but am interested in how they control directional charging (and prevent constant parasitic draw).

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just got back from a quick overnighter. Took a quick pic of my setup.

12V FlexBed power > Victron 12Vdc-to-30Vdc converter > EcoFlow Delta 2 Solar XT60i input > EcoFlow 12Vdc-out > Fridge 12Vdc-in

Ford Maverick Packout Campers: Maverick Edition Installed IMG_6116

Mav 12vdc pass-through charges my EcoFlow batteries (in the box to left). The EcoFlow then

Ford Maverick Packout Campers: Maverick Edition Installed IMG_6115

Sorry for side orientation. Cord pass through is in bottom-left of pic. It routes to my DC-to-DC converter barely visible in top-right of pic. That charges the Delta 2 in bottom-right of pic (middle is extra battery). From Delta 2 DC out another cord goes out the pass through and into the fridge.
Sponsored