Sponsored

OEM vs Aftermarket wheels.

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
-does anybody know the load rating of the OEM wheels? I'll actually be using the Maverick as a truck, will use close to max. payload. Don't need the headache of a broken aftermarket/focus/bronco sport wheel when I've got 1000 + lb's in the bed.
-Maverick stud is M14, Focus/Bronco sport are M12. Has anybody checked if the OEM lug nut wrench will still fit for an emergency tire change? The photo's I'm seeing of these wheels, on the Maverick, shows almost no space left in the bores. Are people using thin wall sockets for install/removal? Thin wall sockets are not rated for the 150 lb wheel nut torque listed by Ford.
Sponsored

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

-does anybody know the load rating of the OEM wheels? I'll actually be using the Maverick as a truck, will use close to max. payload. Don't need the headache of a broken aftermarket/focus/bronco sport wheel when I've got 1000 + lb's in the bed.
-Maverick stud is M14, Focus/Bronco sport are M12. Has anybody checked if the OEM lug nut wrench will still fit for an emergency tire change? The photo's I'm seeing of these wheels, on the Maverick, shows almost no space left in the bores. Are people using thin wall sockets for install/removal? Thin wall sockets are not rated for the 150 lb wheel nut torque listed by Ford.
The way the wheels are cast has a lot to do with the quality. OEM wheels while not as flashy as some aftermarket wheels, are cast to a high quality construction, usually low pressure casting.
I've seen some owners of cars like Audi's and BMW's put cheap wheels like Sport Edition brand on thier cars, lol. Look nice but are cheap construction.
I've seen the process of removing the spare on the Maverick. Looks like a PITA.

Maybe this wheels page from Tire racks website will help?

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/index.jsp

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The process of removing the spare is easy. You get a tool from behind back seat. Wind it down. Change the tire. Better than having to unpack your whole trunk or cargo area or having to crawl up underneath the truck to manually unscrew something.
Not quite that simple. Here is a video of the process. My 95 Plymouth Voyagers spare lowered on a cable like that. The cables have a tendency to start rusting after being exposed to the winters and rain. People might want to carry a piece of mat or cardboard behind the seat to lay on while getting the spare out.

Of course with your typical convenience spare (grossly misnamed) mounted under the floor, it sure is a PITA if you have stuff in the trunk or back area and have to remove everything to get to the spare.

Sponsored