Sponsored

No hotspot- will FordPass app still work?

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From what I can tell, the FordPass app communicates to the vehicle via a cellular (not WiFi) connection. The hotspot feature added a WiFi access point for devices to use either the existing cellular connection or a second cellular connection (not sure which, though I suspect the former) with a plan that you pay for after 3 months. Ford has a contract with AT&T to allow the limited data for FordPass app to work in perpetuity (or at least as long as their contract stays valid or AT&T exists). My suspicion is that WiFi access point is what is not installed with the removal of the hot spot feature. That said, if you park your car in a cellular dead zone, FordPass app won't work.

(Note, I don't have any real experience with FordPass app... Yet... All of the above is my conjecture based on having a slightly higher than average knowledge of wireless networking.)
You are correct. Deadzone = no FordPass. So, no remote start or vehicle notifications. But that is pretty much it.
Sponsored

Sembazuru

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are correct. Deadzone = no FordPass. So, no remote start or vehicle notifications. But that is pretty much it.
Yeah, my work parking lot is a cellular deadzone for most of the carriers. One of the reasons why I splurged to have the key-fob remote start added to my order. 🤠

Skeeter163

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

First, is there any way to get the hotspot? Seems like there is no way to get the hotspot in MY23 Mavericks, which is a huge disappointment as I’m on the road for work frequently and my vehicle is my office on those days.

If no hotspot, does this also mean there is no modem in the truck to utilise the FordPass app to turn the vehicle on? I opted to not even get remote start because I figured I’d never use it if I have the option to have my phone/watch do the job..

I ordered a 23 Lariat Lux FX4 with copilot assist and moon roof.. hoping it gets built with contraints! Thanks for any info you might have!
You still have the ford apt. My I phone 12 has a built in hot spot
im with T Mobile

Aerohead

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aerohead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37S, XLR, 74 G10, 2019 Connect Cargo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe Ford touted that the modem could handle up to 10 connections at a time for job site convenience. I used the free trial on my Transit Connect and really had no need for it. After the trial it would be an additional $10 a month for a subscription through my cell service AT&T).
Sponsored