New owner review: AWD Ecoboost FX4 4K C360

donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Incoming 2022 Shadow Black Maverick XLT/FX5/4K/Lux
Ford Maverick New owner review: AWD Ecoboost FX4 4K C360 58437464-8A93-4AF6-A6D6-DC7F1357BE3A

As a product, the concept is amazing.

A small truck that does most truck stuff.
The design, inside and outside is cool.

Initial quality is lower than I'm used to. (German cars and a JL Wrangler) - meaning some rough edges can be seen in the hard plastic dash parts at seams. The backseat takes some work to latch and at high stereo volume there is some trim rattle. Thereā€™s also some rattle / vibration from various places over bumps while driving. Nothing crazy, but definitely not German

None of this was a surprise, especially with supply chain, new model bugs, and price point.

Ford Maverick New owner review: AWD Ecoboost FX4 4K C360 04EA1031-9405-482E-9402-8D106D2683EF

Stereo is not as bad as nearly everyone seems to say. (Last car was the wrangler unlimited - garbage sound. 2015 Jetta is ā€œfineā€ 2012 GLI was ā€œgoodā€. )

I'd put this above the 15, but below my 2012. It does rattle the trim at quite low volumes - I may dig into the doors to see if so can deaden it a bit.

It is screaming for an exhaust - but I don't know if that'll help the engine sound. I suspect it's more the fast shifting 8 speed transmission that's making it odd sounding. You're in 4th by 50km/h if accelerating like a normal human. Could also be lack of firewall sound insulation in the cabin. (Price point.) The sounds in the cabin through the firewall arenā€™t loud, but definitely expressive. Thereā€™s the buzzy sound, some other sounds when youā€™re off gas (almost a thrashy/grindy sound. I donā€™t want to describe it that way since I donā€™t think itā€™s broken, but itā€™s definitely not smooth sounding.) Otherwise road and wind noise are good, but again coming from a Wrangler this isnā€™t saying much

Ford Maverick New owner review: AWD Ecoboost FX4 4K C360 77865791-ECF6-4B45-9598-65E471B30846

Ford Maverick New owner review: AWD Ecoboost FX4 4K C360 96EFF4A1-E68C-455C-B4A7-0A213656A56F

The front seats lack lower thigh support - and feel a bit short, and honestly a bit narrow. Iā€™m 5ā€™11ā€ and 195lbs. Theyā€™re very comfortable though, and the bolstering is supportive.

When delivered from the dealer, the rear window seems to have a bit of smudging or stickiness. Iā€™ll give it a wash - it seems exterior only. I also noticed what might be dielectric grease or something else between the steering wheel buttons. You can sort of see it through the gaps between the buttons. I at first thought it was just a fit and finish issue, but itā€™s more likely just residue from production.

No stereo problems yet, no freeze ups. Car play is seamless. Headlights are good to excellent in the dark. Jeepā€™s projectors weā€™re insanely good, but I donā€™t feel Iā€™m missing out.

Overall, at first impression, happy with my choice. Iā€™ve put on 150km today alone.
Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well stated. Itā€™s understood some of the things you mentioned may be present with the price point. Overall, itā€™s the best deal in the market currently, in my opinion.
I got a great small truck for a price that rivals an economy car. The AWD has been better than I could have hoped in winter weather, has plenty of power, MPG is good, and the ride is better than average. I feel like buying my Maverick was a win.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks Sharp! Nice review. I would have gone with Black, I've had black trucks for 20 years now.

Prevok

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Always happy to read from someone coming from a Wrangler JL, as it's my current vehicle.

I assume the winter in Nova Scotia is similar to the one we get in Quebec. If you don't mind, and if you happen to test it out, I would be very interested to know how the AWD stack up against the Wrangler in/following a snowstorm.

For all the things I dislike about my JL (even tough I really like it), I just love it in snow. This is my biggest fear moving away from a true 4wd to an AWD truck.

OP
OP

donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Always happy to read from someone coming from a Wrangler JL, as it's my current vehicle.

I assume the winter in Nova Scotia is similar to the one we get in Quebec. If you don't mind, and if you happen to test it out, I would be very interested to know how the AWD stack up against the Wrangler in/following a snowstorm.

For all the things I dislike about my JL (even tough I really like it), I just love it in snow. This is my biggest fear moving away from a true 4wd to an AWD truck.
I liked my JL until gas went crazy and it hydroplaned and got blown around a ton coming back from Montreal.

Mind you, probably partially my fault lifting it and putting it on 35s. But it was the whole package reasoning that made me switch.

1. I thought Iā€™d like off-roading. Turns out I couldnā€™t be bothered. Not with with sailboat and house renos going on.
2. Was exhausting on the highway. Just keeping it going straight was a ton of tiny adjustments and actively on it.
3. Gas mileage
4. Funky rear diff. Made a noise and Chrysler said it was ā€œfineā€ and that ā€œthey all do thatā€ - drove me batty.
5. 8ft boards went from rear gate to dash.

Havenā€™t really had a chance to test the AWD in slick or snowy, but in wet and dry itā€™s solid. While there is a slight dash rattle Iā€™m noticing, is less than JL and easily covered with stereo. Iā€™ll maybe get the dealer to take a look at my next service.

Guess Iā€™m old now at 33. The practicality excites me. Iā€™ve always had fun cars, but this one doesnā€™t feel like a sacrifice.

Sponsored

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
58437464-8A93-4AF6-A6D6-DC7F1357BE3A.jpeg

As a product, the concept is amazing.

A small truck that does most truck stuff.
The design, inside and outside is cool.

Initial quality is lower than I'm used to. (German cars and a JL Wrangler) - meaning some rough edges can be seen in the hard plastic dash parts at seams. The backseat takes some work to latch and at high stereo volume there is some trim rattle. Thereā€™s also some rattle / vibration from various places over bumps while driving. Nothing crazy, but definitely not German

None of this was a surprise, especially with supply chain, new model bugs, and price point.

04EA1031-9405-482E-9402-8D106D2683EF.jpeg

Stereo is not as bad as nearly everyone seems to say. (Last car was the wrangler unlimited - garbage sound. 2015 Jetta is ā€œfineā€ 2012 GLI was ā€œgoodā€. )

I'd put this above the 15, but below my 2012. It does rattle the trim at quite low volumes - I may dig into the doors to see if so can deaden it a bit.

It is screaming for an exhaust - but I don't know if that'll help the engine sound. I suspect it's more the fast shifting 8 speed transmission that's making it odd sounding. You're in 4th by 50km/h if accelerating like a normal human. Could also be lack of firewall sound insulation in the cabin. (Price point.) The sounds in the cabin through the firewall arenā€™t loud, but definitely expressive. Thereā€™s the buzzy sound, some other sounds when youā€™re off gas (almost a thrashy/grindy sound. I donā€™t want to describe it that way since I donā€™t think itā€™s broken, but itā€™s definitely not smooth sounding.) Otherwise road and wind noise are good, but again coming from a Wrangler this isnā€™t saying much

77865791-ECF6-4B45-9598-65E471B30846.jpeg

96EFF4A1-E68C-455C-B4A7-0A213656A56F.jpeg

The front seats lack lower thigh support - and feel a bit short, and honestly a bit narrow. Iā€™m 5ā€™11ā€ and 195lbs. Theyā€™re very comfortable though, and the bolstering is supportive.

When delivered from the dealer, the rear window seems to have a bit of smudging or stickiness. Iā€™ll give it a wash - it seems exterior only. I also noticed what might be dielectric grease or something else between the steering wheel buttons. You can sort of see it through the gaps between the buttons. I at first thought it was just a fit and finish issue, but itā€™s more likely just residue from production.

No stereo problems yet, no freeze ups. Car play is seamless. Headlights are good to excellent in the dark. Jeepā€™s projectors weā€™re insanely good, but I donā€™t feel Iā€™m missing out.

Overall, at first impression, happy with my choice. Iā€™ve put on 150km today alone.
I had a jeep wrangler, although 20 years ago, the fit and finish was awfulā€¦

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My Alto is awesome

Ford Maverick New owner review: AWD Ecoboost FX4 4K C360 D08CF5B7-860A-4B2E-A22F-8252FD49197B

Ford Maverick New owner review: AWD Ecoboost FX4 4K C360 39D38BA3-D7EA-4F7C-B6E2-4212F2EFB250

OP
OP

donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

HappyCat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT-4k tow-FX4-Iconic Silver
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am also getting used to the engine sounds and shifting, so my brain knows what's "normal" I always listen to my vehicle, for any problems.

Cromwell

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did Bruce Ford treat you right? (I see their Spa sign and the hospital across the street.)

Sponsored
OP
OP

donohfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did Bruce Ford treat you right? (I see their Spa sign and the hospital across the street.)
Iā€™d say so. Enough that Iā€™ll use them for service and theyā€™re 1.5hr away

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did you buy the wei

Did you get the wildpeaks separately? My fx4 came with the scorpions
Yes, I got the Wildpeak Trails. I went 245. Definitely preferred an AT with more bite than Scorpions. The tires have been great in winter weather and look pretty damn good
Sponsored